Dirty Fins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dirty Fins

The grime between the fins of the head will not come off even using laquer thinner. I have a small dremel and would like to try it. Without buying every dremel accessary on the shelf, what is the best one in terms of cost and effectiveness. Thanks Ted

Have you Gunked it at the spray car wash? A spray can of Gunk does the trick for me. Maybe 2 or 3 times a year depending on the weather and my weeping valve cover gasket.

Comment

Ride to the nearest coin carwash, spray Gunk on warm (not hot!) engine....let sit a few minutes...use a small paint brush (I use a soft 1" wide one) to break up/dislodge the really stubborn stuff...spray some more gunk if needed. While the gunk works on the engine, spray some on a rag and clean up the rims..... normal line pressure is enough at the carwash to rinse off...avoid the 'hi-pressure' trigger around sensitive areas, to ensure your bike fires up with no hassles. All this takes about 25 minutes.....I usually do it 1X year, just before winter storage. Some here have used 'Simple Green' spray with good results...I have not tried it.

Tony.
      '82 GS1100E

Comment

Just a word to the wise about simple green. If you use it undiluted VERY often (like every day almost) it will corrode the aluminum lightly. That said, I use it all the time on my truck engine (Aluminum head and valvecover) and I wont hesitate to use it on the GS. It works great, just be sure you get everything rinsed off.

Comment

I'm working on my bike in the shed and it's not quite on the road yet so I can't get to the car wash. I would like to have the bike in immaculate condition when I first ride it. Thanks Ted

Comment

ive heard oven cleaner does a good job.

Comment

Originally posted by RotaryRodder
              ive heard oven cleaner does a good job.
              Will also black streak your aluminum cases and can be corrosive.

Comment

Originally posted by knotzilla
                I'm working on my bike in the shed and it's not quite on the road yet so I can't get to the car wash. I would like to have the bike in immaculate condition when I first ride it. Thanks Ted
                Then I think that Simple Green even fits you better. It won't smell up the place horribly and it really loosens up the junk! I just used it and my old bike is looking pretty stinking good.

Comment

Fins

I used Big Orange spray citris based cleaner, it worked very well. Water wash and smells like, suprise, oranges. Ray
                  "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                  GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                  1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                  1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                  1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Working...
                  X