No announcement yet.

Pix of Ron Bayless' Forward Controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ron, i am also very interested in getting a set for my 1980 GS550L, I sent you a Private Message about it about a week ago with no reply, so maybe you should check those to see if anyone else is interested.

Comment

Welllll,thank you guys !!!! I appreciate the feedback.Sorry about not responding to the PM, but did not see it.Guess I am not seeing too good these days or something.As far as controls from an Honda, they will work if you weld pieces to the bike.I am making controls anyone with a couple wrenches can bolt to their GS.As far as tall guys needing to stretch out, i can see where that would be a real issue since the GS series have a short whellbase.Once the couplers are done, I will hopefully find some way to get next to a 400,450,550,650,750,850, and 1100 to see how everything matches up.I think the twins will be the easiest, and the 4 cylinders will probably be nearly identical.I am learning a lot by this.American metric and japanese metric are entirely different.The japanes use several formulas for doing the diametric pitch,presure angles, etc and in America only one formula is used.That is why the pieces are one off production and so expensive.As far as I know, I will be the only one anywhere that has these type couplers once they are done.They make for a much more professional looking job.I also have an idea that would allow use of the orignal crash bars, but i have enough problems to deal with right now.Once again, thanks again for the input.Ron
      future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

more information on forward controls

It took from january 20th to march 9th but we finally found someone in dallas that can broach the splined couplers for us and we are able to pick them up on march 16th,finally we can finishe the controls,improve on the appearance fine points we needed to do, then post some pictures.we wont have them chromed yet.they should look good and work good.the shifter side works good.the brake side i never posted pictures of because all i had wasa reworked old stock pedal on that side but that will change soon.i can say no one else in the usa will have this particular part.we have contacted new england states,both coasts,even japan and on one would even try to make them for us.it seems not nly is there problems with the japanese metric system, but also suzuki is totally different from honda kawasaki and yamaha.they are all the same.i have access to a 550 to get measurements from.for the 650,750,850, amd 1100 i will need to go to a cycle salvage yard in dallas and take measurements.unless someone in the dallas area has one i can look at.i dont know if anyone will read this email, but at last we are finally bringing this whole deal to a finishing point.it aint been easy so far.
        future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

I'm still interested. The only things I've found that I'd like to use are pretty costly and for Harleys. I still wanna see whatcha got man. It'd be easier to not have to weld anything to my frame.

Comment

good to hear from you fat sac.pictures soon,after march 16th!

Comment

Originally posted by ron bayless
              I Am Of Course Very Interested In This Project Too.i Will Say I Know I Can Make A Set For Your Bike, But Utilizing The Crash Bars Will Nearly Impossible.i Have An Idea For Not Mounting Them Where The Ocnverted Ones Are Now, But Not Sure If My Idea Will Work.remember, The Crash Bars On The Stock Ones Are Only Mounted To A 1/4 Inch Backing Plate, Ours Is 3/8 Thick,the Rod Coming Out Is Even With The Outside Cases, It Is 7/8 In Diameter, Then The Pegs Come Out From Ther.they Really Offer More Crash Protection Than The Original Crash Bars Do.keep The Faith Brother, I Am Working On It, Believe Me.after I Get All This Done I Hope Someone Wants Them.otherwise Just You And I Will Have A Set! Ron

I would like highway bars, and forward controls, BUT if your product gives the protection of highway bars then GREAT and sign me up!

Comment

You be the judge...the original crash bars are hollow tubes,bolted to 1/4 inch backing plates.our controls are 1 3/8 inch backing plate, a 7/7 inch solid gear quality steel shaft protruding from there and out slightly beyond the outermost edge of the engine cases.This is inside structural steel tubing, then on top of that you have the footpeg that is rubber over another steel rod.And then you could add highway bars that mount with ubolts to the double down tubes. these dont exist, but could be fabricated or have some existing ones modified if one was so inclined.Our gola is to have a website that eventually reads "Everything GS",based on what GS riders say they would like to have the most.I ride and love my GS and feel others do too.Ron

Comment

Originally posted by ron bayless
                  You be the judge...the original crash bars are hollow tubes,bolted to 1/4 inch backing plates.our controls are 1 3/8 inch backing plate, a 7/7 inch solid gear quality steel shaft protruding from there and out slightly beyond the outermost edge of the engine cases.This is inside structural steel tubing, then on top of that you have the footpeg that is rubber over another steel rod.And then you could add highway bars that mount with ubolts to the double down tubes. these dont exist, but could be fabricated or have some existing ones modified if one was so inclined.Our gola is to have a website that eventually reads "Everything GS",based on what GS riders say they would like to have the most.I ride and love my GS and feel others do too.Ron

Ok I am sold. So about how much are we talking about?

Comment

the controls for now require you using your own stock footpegs.aftermarket expense is how ever much you choose.any aftermarket metric custom pegs will work.the shifter peg and round brake peg are removeable and replaceable.They cost us $27.00 a set.You can save there again.The basic cost of the setup with no finish will be $300.00.I intend geting them chromed since that is the most popular finish. We have someonto do that but a batch price hasnt been reached.I expect about $50.00 per set for chroming.Each set should be able to be installed in a few minutes after removing the stock controls.I would say in an hour after receiving them a road test should be possible.No welding,u still have your stock controls to revert back to if you dont like them.There is a 7 day money back guarantee.Barring a nasty spill on your respective bike, any defective parts will be replace free of charge except shipping for the first 30 days.Beyond that, a phone call and discussion on a case by case basis would be the next step.To me, service is everything.It takes years to build up a good reputation and minutes to destroy it.I also believe form follows function.These should function very well.Each set would be tested on my bike first.Other than multiple linkage length variations, the pieces should bolt up to any gs bike.If so inclined, go to Seeger cycle site and see the controls they sell for the 750 honda.$549.000 plus shipping and handling.I know cnc chromed billet with medieval spiked footpegs would look better and cost about $750.00.I cant do that.I want to make controls that are simple design,look good, and work great.

Comment

new up date on controls

Well march 15th came and went, then finally on march 29th the couplers came in the mail march 29th.Only they made them backwards! Absolutely useless unless someone wanted some really heavy windchimes maybe.It goes back to the old saying if you want something done right do it yourself.i will now resort to nonsplined couplers, of which they are readily available.Not what i wanted, but it seems an insurmountable task to get anyone to understand what we are wanting.So, unsplined it will be.Since the shifter nor the brake for the rear rotate except for about 2 inches max the nonsplined should work. These couplers are for holding 2 shafts together with up to 3000 rpm so they should suffice.If anyone is still interested, i will post pictures as soon as possible, just dont know when.Hopefully in the next few days. That makes 3 disappointments so far.Looks like our welder and our steel and our ingenuity will be our resource now.I do believe they will be worth waiting for.I will keep anyone posted.

Comment

Update On Controls

We Just Had A Setback.after The Machinist Making The Control Pieces Male Instead Of Female We Changed To A Guy Considered The Best In North Texas.we Met With Him And The Tooling For Broaching The Couplers We Are Going To Use Will Be $698.00 For The Brake Side And $1400.00 For The Shift Lever Side.$2300.00 For Just The Tooling Alone! I Sure Hope Some Guys Want These After We Make Them.we Are Commited To The Project, It Is Like A Personal Challenge Now.the Tooling Comes From Detroit Michigan And Wont Be Here For 6-8 Weeks, Or About June 10th.we Should Be Able To Assemble A Few Sets In Time For The Gs Rally In Cassville Missouri.hopefully Someone Will Want Some Then.we Will Also Be Creating A Website Because The Gs Site Alone Wont Generate Enough Customers Most Likely.if This Is Successful, We Will Invest In Broaches For The Other Jap Brands,all Of Which Are Inferior To The Gs Of Course.i Wonder If Anyone Knows How Many Gs Bikes Were Made And How Many Are Still On The Road?i Doubt There Will Be Any Need For Me To Post Any More Emails In Regard To This Project Based On What I Just Wrote.please,buy Some Of The Finished Product, They Are Created Because No One Ever Did Before An I Wanted Some For My Own Bike, But Not At 2300 Dollars Worth!

Comment

Any Idea what you're site is going to be. I would be extremely interested in a set of foreward controls for my 82 1100GL.

Chris.

Comment

I have to go to the courthouse and get a name that no one else has for an official business name.The plan is for it to be J&R gs controls.GS is probably copyrighted, so it wil probably be j&r vintagemotorcyclecontrols.com

Just for fun, go to customcyclecontrols.com

Comment

Im assuming this thread died?
                              Last edited by Guest; 01-17-2009, 12:38 AM. Reason: to subscribe

Comment

Yup, 2-1/2 years ago...

Comment

Working...
                                X