Ideas 4 my '83 GS 850 project needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas 4 my '83 GS 850 project needed

Ok guys here it is a ground up restoration of an '83 GS 850 that needs finishing. Alot has already been done and bike is taking on a new look. I just bought this bike 2 days ago on ebay. It has a Marauder tank but not fitted and not sure if I am going to use it cause the tunnel is too wide. I like the shape of the tank but with a 11" wide tunnel and my bike frame is only 7" it looks weird sitting on frame with a big gap in front. Debating on if its worth trying to make it fit with some fab mods to close the gap by welding new steel or? I know that I do not like the original box shape tank but instead want a big smooth edge tank.

What about a '83 GS 550L Tank? Do you think that would work better?
    Does that tank fit the frame on my bike? I have not seen one up close so I don't know.

I also need some fender ideas.

What about a digital all in one gauge?

What about side covers for the battery area (was thinking of using polished aluminum diamond plate) if I were to fab something what would look good?

where is all the imput guys

where is all the mod imput here guys...was up!
    I need to hear back with some ideas before I proceed. Guess I will just mod my 2001 Marauder tank to fit and fab a seat. Was really wonder if there was another tank that might be an easier fit. What about the '83 GS 1100L
    would that bolt right on?

Comment

I think perhaps the lack of response is due to not many people on the board going for chopper style bikes. I certainly wouldn't know what to reccomend.

Actually, I'd get rid of the headlight, and paint the tank and frame matte black. Then again, I'm a fan of rat bikes. Certainly fabbing custom parts is always cool.

Comment

Ideas

Hey Kip check out the gallery. Look at the tanks on the 82/3 L models. They should fit up easy and their not box shaped.

Comment

Hey Kip - I picked up an '80 GS850G in Jan. It's got the vetter fairing, suzuki hard cases and luggage rack with back rest on it. Uuuugggggly as sin, but i kind of like it, in some twisted way.

I've have a XS650 chop that i did a couple of years ago. Hardtailed it, streched it, threw on a sporty tank and painted it black. Even made my own seat. It's fun in it's own way. But the XS650 lends itself to chopping a lot easier than i think the 850 will. Mine is a shaftie, and that would steer me away from wanting to chop it.

That said, other mods to make it more "modern" might be nice. Like a more progressive suspension and better brakes. Basically anything to make riding the **** out of it that much more enjoyable.

good luck!
          dave

Comment

Thanks country I will look into that...btw here's another pic

DId you mean 82 83 L model 850 series or 1100 series or just any L series.
            Do you know which has the biggest size tank...1100 L perhaps?

Comment

maybe the 82 1100E tank and side covers?

now I am wondering about fitting 83 1100E tank and side covers since it has a nice flow line to it...what ya think guys?

Comment

I think the tank is OK, I think you just need to remake refit a difernt seat, all in all a easy answer, to make things work.

Comment

I like the looks of your project so far!

The GS850L and GS1100L tanks are identical. They hold about a gallon less than the 850G/1100G. With the petcock positioned halfway back along the tank, if you slant the tank forward, you lose some capacity.

I'm not sure how easy or hard it would be to fit an 1100E tank, you need to adapt the frame bracket[s] for that.

Comment

So the 2001 Marauder tank looks good?

So you all think the 2001 Marauder tank looks good eh? it looks like **** fron the front view because of the gap between tank and frame. Was thinking of welding some steel to close the opening more. I was thinking a rake would be cool but costly and not sure how much a rake. the seat has to wait until I can figure waht to do about tank.

Comment

I thought about putting a maurader tank on my 81 850, but then i decided i wanted a my bike to look more of a cafe racer/bobber style instead of chopper type bike. I put a 79 550 E tank on mine and it fits perfect, i just have to make a bracket to connect the bottom of the tank to the frame.

Also, is this the same KIP from OSR Forum?

Comment

First lose the head light and through some ape hanger handle bars on. also i think if you want to do some welding get a weldon hardtail off the internet and a spring seat it will look awsome like that i think. also spoked wheels would look great or paint yours black. but what do i know. bike looks nice so far though.

ps if you want some pics of choppers i have give your email. have a sproster a vstar, suzuki caferacer, zfr streetfighter, and a bsa chopper in the works.

Comment

Love em BSA's

I use to have a 67 650 Thunderbolt BSA...great bike and alot of fun to ride...use to ride it year round in Baltimore...back in the day.
                          Good ideas and pictures would be great would like to see some more pics added to the thread here to share ideas. I might do something about the headlight...maybe move it down a little. I do like that cafe look that has nice lines. I am going to either modifiy the tank I got or find a different tank that fits better....no matter what I use It will have to be modified , streached, shape into a masterpiece. Then build the seat around it and find a brake/blinker LED light that can attach under the seat.

Comment

looks like your going to have a hell of a nice bike when finished. keep us posted on progress

Comment

Working...
                            X