X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jethro
    Originally Posted by crag antler
    Very nice.
    Even with the silver motor :razz: ,just kidding.
    You did a hell of a sweet job

I was gonna say that. It's not often that a silver motor looks 1/2 as good on the 1100E's. This one however looks about 3/4 as good as the black motors!!! :-P
    I'd say 7/8 as good as the black. :-D And the sound, if the motor runs as well as the body looks, Geesh, I miss my GS!

Congratulations, that is a sweet bike!

Comment

absolutely Gorgous...BTW...Is the paint name Red Fire? Thats a stock Ford Dark Metallic Red, I'm thinking about using it on my bike. If it is, your bike sealed the deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H
        absolutely Gorgous...BTW...Is the paint name Red Fire? Thats a stock Ford Dark Metallic Red, I'm thinking about using it on my bike. If it is, your bike sealed the deal.
        Mike,
        I am not sure as to the exact name the paint is called. My friend Bruce (who restored my bodywork) of Paul's Auto Body in Salisbury ,MA explained he custom mixes almost all his own colors. He had a freshly painted '04 or 05 Ford Mustang Cobra in his shop, that I immediately fell in love with as far as the look a was trying to achieve with my GS. There was a 5" long crease in the tank, that Bruce was able to "spoon" and remove. I can't even tell it was there, I am totally impressed at how perfect the tank looks.

I was able to round up a few buddies, and a 12 pack, and ease my bike out of my basemment. (YES, I absolutely removed ALL the bodywork in case we dropped the bike somehow!!). Man It was WAY more challenging to ramp it UP the stairs, than it was to ramp it down. I had no problem getting it down, but I had a problem with the guages hitting the top of my bulkhead steel frame, so I ended up ratcheting down the front forks for clearence. My bike is in the bike shop as we speak to get the minor engine running issues panned out, as I simply don't want to deal with the crappy running engine anymore (I persanally screwed something up, as it ran good before I started my resto). We have a technician that is a true GS guru. The guys at the bike shop are absolutely amazed how well my bike turned out. (most of the tech's are in their late 30's so they all have affinities for early 80's muscle bikes). I am sooooo itching to ride this bike!!!!!!!!!! I'ts hard to believe I been restoring it for over 7 months.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-02-2006, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Nice job! Your hard work certainly paid off. Be proud! :-D
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

I prefer the natural aluminum engine look to black, but I've seen plenty of black engine treatments that look great. It's just a question of what you leave aluminum or chrome that really makes a black engine look great, it's all in the details. JMHO. That "Road Clam" is a really pretty machine!

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
              Originally Posted by crag antler
              Very nice.
              Even with the silver motor :razz: ,just kidding.
              You did a hell of a sweet job

I was gonna say that. It's not often that a silver motor looks 1/2 as good on the 1100E's. This one however looks about 3/4 as good as the black motors!!! :-P

Alright, another "Black motor man " to the rescue\\/
              Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
              2000 Kawasaki Concours
              Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Well, I looked at the pics again, and I do believe I am going to steal your color!!! :-P Actually, I have been looking at a dark red for a while. I work for an automotive supplier, and we have a paint line. I have every OEM color at my, um, disposal. I keep coming back to Ford's Red Fire (Which is very close to the color of your bike). I wasn't able to tell what it would look like on a bike until I saw yours though. BTW, now that the bike is outside, how about some more pictures, with the sunlight on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H
                  Well, I looked at the pics again, and I do believe I am going to steal your color!!! :-P Actually, I have been looking at a dark red for a while. I work for an automotive supplier, and we have a paint line. I have every OEM color at my, um, disposal. I keep coming back to Ford's Red Fire (Which is very close to the color of your bike). I wasn't able to tell what it would look like on a bike until I saw yours though. BTW, now that the bike is outside, how about some more pictures, with the sunlight on it?
                  Mike, if I could offer you a few tips, based upon my frustrating experiences, DO NOT TRY TO PURCHASE THE FACTORY SUZUKI DECALS! Suzuki has a vague, horse $hit decal p/n system that you have absolutely no idea what decal you are going to get. I thought I was ordering decals for my '82 GS1100EZ, and I got an "ORANGE" SUZUKI tank decal, and black outlined side panel decals that said "GS 1100ES" !!!! WTF !!!!???? I called a Suzuki parts analist, to try to get the proper p/n's , and the person was absolutely of NO help. I ended up contacting this decal company based out of Canada:

Got a complete set of decals for $40 shipped, and they were an EXACT match to my originals. I plan on taking some hi res sunlight pics ASAP. Right now my bike is in the shop for some final tweaking (Just another set of eyes, to possibly spot an issue I missed). I am going to submit a nice outdoor pic for consideration of "BOM". Good luck,
                  Rich
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-04-2006, 06:02 AM.

Comment

WOW!!!!!!! Very nicely done

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam
                      I ended up contacting this decal company based out of Canada:

Got a complete set of decals for $40 shipped, and they were an EXACT match to my originals. I plan on taking some hi res sunlight pics ASAP. Right now my bike is in the shop for some final tweaking (Just another set of eyes, to possibly spot an issue I missed). I am going to submit a nice outdoor pic for consideration of "BOM". Good luck,
                      Rich
                      The best place to buy decals.
                      All honesty, your bike does look very nice
                      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                      2000 Kawasaki Concours
                      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Very pretty!

I see from the pictures you still have the anti-dives hooked up. Your first upgrade should be to disable/ditch those horrid things and you braking should tighten up quite a bit.

Kenny

Comment

Originally posted by KennyJ
                          Very pretty!

I see from the pictures you still have the anti-dives hooked up. Your first upgrade should be to disable/ditch those horrid things and you braking should tighten up quite a bit.

Kenny
                          Garbage! I love my anti-dive units. Don't believe the hype!
                          Currently bikeless
                          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I think the first thing I will try is simply a new front m/c piston. My front brakes feel so spongey, I bled those lines for HOURS, and they still suck. I am definately thinking braided lines......

Comment

That is one SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeettttttttt looking bike!
                              You should definatly put that in some shows!

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam
                                Mike, if I could offer you a few tips, based upon my frustrating experiences, DO NOT TRY TO PURCHASE THE FACTORY SUZUKI DECALS! Suzuki has a vague, horse $hit decal p/n system that you have absolutely no idea what decal you are going to get. I thought I was ordering decals for my '82 GS1100EZ, and I got an "ORANGE" SUZUKI tank decal, and black outlined side panel decals that said "GS 1100ES" !!!! WTF !!!!???? I called a Suzuki parts analist, to try to get the proper p/n's , and the person was absolutely of NO help.

SNIP

Good luck,
                                Rich
                                Do you have the stock Suzuki part #'s that you used for the order? More than likely the person either got the part off of another bike or the # you ordered was superceded.

Comment

Working...
                                X