Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Road_Clam
    SNIP

As for the wheels, I completely blasted the black paint off, then polished the rim perimeter, and then emery "brushed" the tops of the casted "webs" . Then clear coated the wheels. I personally think they look awesome. I prefer a "brushed" machined look to my bikes components, as opposed to highly polished (and it's FAR less time consuming)
    What did you use for clear coat and how many coats did you use? Let us know how the wheels hold up after you put some miles on em. I just got some wheels from GSR member Pat that were painted a nasty red/orange and am getting ready to strip em down. Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

I used Dupli Color high temp clearcoat from my local Napa auto store. I was very impressed with the stuff, and where it's a high temp version, Napa assured me there won't be any yellowing. Time will tell. I layed down about 3 coats per the exact instructions. I really wasn't going for the "deep" clear coat look, but simply pretection for my polished and bare metal parts. A lot of my bikes parts that were formerly black, are now bare steel, and aluminum, slightly polished, and clear coated.
      Rich

Comment

My 550 had the same fairing on it when I bought it, and now seeing your bike...

I sure am glad I took it off!

Ha, looks great8-)

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam
          Well, it's 99.9% finished. I just need to tweak the fit of the vintage fairing just a bit to get the windscreen to look even. The Ford Cobra metallic burgandy paint looks spectacular in the sun. The pics in my basement do absolutely no justice to the vividness of the paint. I think my "old school/new school superbike" theme came out just the way I wanted. What do you guys think?
          I like the black end caps. I have decided on a black cam cover & end caps on a silver motor as part of a project bike I hope should be running in the next 2 weeks.

Comment

1981 gs850gl

Mine is my avitar. After the picture, I put lowers on it as well. Finished after this winter of working on it. It was fun to work on it and now ridden daily. Oh- the paint? rattle can walmart spray paint (no kidding). I put 10 coats of clear and then 5 coats of wax dribbled a little gas and wiped it and it is fine. I painted it in February so it has cured.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-29-2006, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Hey Clam, you got any pics of that bike outside in the sun? I'd like to get a look at that paint!
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                Hey Clam, you got any pics of that bike outside in the sun? I'd like to get a look at that paint!

Sun???
                Where the hell is that in New England????

Would like to see some pics though\\/
                Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                2000 Kawasaki Concours
                Please wear ATGATT

Comment

I do have severall nice pics of the bike out in the sun. I sent them to Mark N. for BOM consideration, but he asked for pics "not in FULL sun". I guess the pics dull the bike a bit. I have to take some better "partial sun" pics. I will post up the pics I do have tonight. Still nonetheless, you guys HAVE to see the paint up close in the sun to appreciate it. I've already had tons of people compliment me on the paint scheme.

Comment

Working...
                  X