'82 GS650GL Fairing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS650GL Fairing

Anyone who's read my posts know I'm new to riding, so I have a question that may be trivial to some. I would like to put a fairing on my GS650GLZ but need some information. So far everyone on this site has been a huge help with all my questions, thanks. My questions are this, what will a fairing do to the performance of the 650? Better stability at certain speeds? Worse? outside of those performance considerations, how do I go about finding a fairing to fit my bike. Would a bike shop have something modern that they can retrofit onto my old GS or do I need to find a fairing that is circa 1982? And lastly, what brand does anyone here recommend and what have you all used on your GS'? Any websites I might start on that sell decent fairings at decent prices for my bike model? I am handy with the wrench and work in a sign shop so I have access to CNC machinery to custom make brackets, etc.. but the less fabbing I have to do the better. Bolt and ride would be ideal! Thanks in advance guys for the good advice.

fairing

I just put a vetter fairing on my 81 gs850. The bike is better now(in my opinion) to ride as I do not get beat up by the wind on the highway. Gas mileage is better as well and it is a warmer ride when the temp is aroung 40 degrees f. It is also a quieter ride as a result of less wind in your face.

If you search "graig vetter fairings" in a google search you will see the vetter info. This is a very helpful site to answer many questions. Read every page and you will learn any Vetter fairing will fit any bike, you just need the correct mount. These items are available on ebay (fairings, mounts and accessories). The vetter site has the model-cross reference table but often sellers put what bike the mount came off of.

Good luck and I am very happy I put a fairing on mine.

Comment

I've been using a National Cycle Plexifairing 3 on my 850 for years, and I've never noticed any difference in handling or gas mileage when I ride with or without it. The same goes for their Deflector Shield. I like the fact that I can get wind and weather protection without installing a heavy permanent fairing like the Vetter. I also can quickly switch between full, partial or no wind protection in a few minutes without tools. Check them out at this URL:
      http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/c...h_model=su-027

Comment

Working...
      X