Chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrome

I love chrome, I put chrome crankcase covers on my bike including the sprocket cover, bought chrome turn signals, chrome mirrors ..... Now my jugs, head and engine look worse then ever. Is there a clearcoat on these parts? Is there a cleaner I can use without removing my top end to get it powder coated? I plan on doing a ring job after this riding season and will powder coat it then, but until then there has to be something to clean up this aluminum. I have a 1980 GS1100L
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

[QUOTE=chef1366]I love chrome, I put chrome crankcase covers on my bike including the sprocket cover, bought chrome turn signals, chrome mirrors ..... Now my jugs, head and engine look worse then ever. Is there a clearcoat on these parts?

Yes

Is there a cleaner I can use without removing my top end to get it powder coated?

No

I plan on doing a ring job after this riding season and will powder coat it then, but until then there has to be something to clean up this aluminum.

If I were you I would just ride and have fun until you get ready to do the rings. I have some extra motor parts that you can get bored for your 1166 kit and get powdercoated and also another head that you can get done.

Comment

Uh Oh...We have a Chromosexual on the site!!!

Comment

A Game of Constrasts

Originally posted by 83'GK
        Uh Oh...We have a Chromosexual on the site!!!
        Jeje, great GK, great!

If you are planning on doing a ring job, and you don't like the way your engine looks, why don't you paint it? Paint It black! It will contrast with all the chrome you had put on the bike.
        Then, when you disassemble the engine you can send the pieces to power coat, and have them clean aluminium-gray color again.

Ensure to clean every trace of oil and dirty, cover the chromed parts and the other parts that you don't want to paint, remove the exhaust system and and then paint the engine with hi temp opaque black paint. You can use some painter tape and the "new york times" to cover the parts you don't want to paint, and you'll enjoy a different bike until you do the ring job.

The best way to fix the hi temp paint to your engine is to heat the engine, so after doing the paint job, take the bike to be the Highway Star of the day.
        Just for a warning, The odor of your engine on the first ride would not to be the best, try not to smell it.

I also am a chromosexual jeje, do you have a pic of your machine?

Greetings from Argentina!

Comment

Chrome lovers eh! and here I am planning to paint over the chrome and make it a nice bright BLACK!

Comment

A little bit of chrome really dresses up a bike. I went with chrome hand levers, oil cap, and gear shift lever to add a little contrast.

Post pics.

Comment

chrome

There's nothing cleaner looking than chrome!\\/

Comment

There is only clearcoat on all the side covers and the cam cover. I stripped and polished those pieces. The rest of the engine I scrubbed with Simple Green (concentrated). I tried alot of different cleaners, but the Simple Green worked the best. Use toothbrushes and baby bottle brushes and scrub, scrub, scrub! Mine was pretty dirty, but came out nice. Have patience!!

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

shine on

Originally posted by renobruce
                  There is only clearcoat on all the side covers and the cam cover. I stripped and polished those pieces. The rest of the engine I scrubbed with Simple Green (concentrated). I tried alot of different cleaners, but the Simple Green worked the best. Use toothbrushes and baby bottle brushes and scrub, scrub, scrub! Mine was pretty dirty, but came out nice. Have patience!!

Beautiful renobruce Beautiful!!!!:-D

Comment

Originally posted by tracy borchert
                    Beautiful renobruce Beautiful!!!!:-D
                    Thanks, Tracy! Lots of work, but worth it!
                    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Pics

Took some pics but it was rainy and dark and they came out crappy. I will try again tomorrow. Chromosexual huh, to busy laughing to be offended.:-)
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Chromosexual@#$?

If it is not stainless, polished, or powder it is chrome! I must admit I too am a "Chromosexual". Easy to clean and looks good. The first chrome job on my bike lasted for 18 years until I had it redone to perfection again four years ago. My shaft is long, smooth and you bet..... it's CHROME!\\/

Last edited by viperg; 04-11-2006, 02:09 PM.
                        1982 1100G - 1979 1000SN Cooley #703 - 1982 Kawasaki ELR#337 - 1982 Katana 1000SZ (X3) #769, #872, #1963 - 1983 1100E mid-night blue (X2) - Ducati 907ie - 1976 GT750 Bad Buffalo

Comment

Pics

Here are the pics I promised.

Comment

Pics

Here's another one.

Comment

I like shiny stuff too. Chrome or polished aluminum.

And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                              X