No announcement yet.

Chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a bench grinder with a 8" layered cloth buffing wheel and a dremel with the same only much smaller.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
      I polished them to a mirror finish, like everything else on my bike. Don't know what a "scratch" finish is.
      Sure makes it hard to get a pic without me in it ruining it.
      just looked at your page... absolutely stunning!

im very practical and function has always ruled over form in my way of thinking but when it comes to a classic, there aint nothing like good ole shiny chrome!!

Comment

Originally posted by carlosjc401
        that is such a good looking Bike. now I see just what i am going to have to do with my bike. BTW how do you keep it like that, did you seal it some how or do you spend more time polishing it than riding it?
        I ride a lot more than I have to polish. I have to go over it about twice a year to keep it the way I want it.
        It's a lot of work but like I've always said, I'd probably be sittin' on the couch eating chips, so I might as well do something good for the bike and me.
        Looking at it that way makes the job easy.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by Rake78GS
          Ever heard the term.......Crome dont get ya home
          I removed, or painted over all the crome on mine. Cept for a few pieces to accent the bike.
          Actually, if you're talking about my bike, it doesn't have that much chrome.
          Besides the factory gauge covers, bars, headlight ring, front fender, cam caps and brake/shifter arms, I've only added some chrome hardware (nuts/bolts) here and there. The aluminum polishing is what brings it all together.
          When I went over the bike, I just wanted to improve on the over-all finish. If it was shiny to begin with, I made it shinier. Then I blacked out (powdercoated) any bolts that I didn't like to look at, such as the engine mount bolts, footpeg bolts, brake rotor bolts, etc. I think it all came out pretty clean.
          And...my bike's been getting me home for 130,000 miles so far.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by J_C
            With that being said, is there a specific buffer model and size that people recommend? Like 10"? Or drill mounted? Dremmel mounted? There seems to be a lot different things people have tried... any more successful than the others?
            A bench mounted buffer is best of course for the initial buffing. After that, a drill motor and the right buffs/attachments can reach 90% of the parts without removing them if you buy the right stuff. I buy my polishing parts at www.eastwood.com
            It depends on the condition of your parts as to what you need. There are more aggressive buffs and compounds if you have some pitting, etc, to remove before the polishing. There are softer buffs (loose sewn), smoother compounds such a white rouge for the final buffing.
            You just have to practice and learn. What buff, what compound, how much compound, what speed, applied pressure....you'll learn.
            Visit Eastwood or other sites and you'll pick up info in no time. Then just practice.

Comment

Originally posted by hungryman
              Chrome doesn't seem to last over aluminum. If I want it shiney, I'll polish it.

BTW, Keith your bike looks great.
              Hey! I recognize that avatar and that address. Welcome back!
              Hope things have gone well for you.

Comment

Could you chrome addicts please check out my thread titled "chrome bolt covers"?

Comment

To each their own, but no matter if it's my GS or another I just love the classic look of chrome fenders. There is a certain bike manufacture 8-[ in my city that is building bikes around the customer's obsessions of purchasing and polishing chrome, but it never hits the fenders. I wonder if it is the cost or production/environmental concerns that result in so much application of paint. Maybe I'm just out of touch, but I take much pride in this currently unique feature.
                  Hondas
                  '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
                  Suzuki
                  '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
                  Kaw
                  '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Your bike is a show piece! That truly is a beautiful bike. 130,000? Sounds like it spends more time ion the road than off! Nice.

Comment

Working...
                    X