Black Engine Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Engine Paint

when i bought my 82 GS850G the engine was painted black. It does not look very good. First question, did any of these bikes come from the factory with black engines? If I wanted to remove all of the black paint, what is the best way to do that job in my garage (without a sand blaster)?

I know they didn't come black - as for how to remove it...I dunno - good luck though!

Comment

Originally posted by sebring38
      when i bought my 82 GS850G the engine was painted black. It does not look very good. First question, did any of these bikes come from the factory with black engines? If I wanted to remove all of the black paint, what is the best way to do that job in my garage (without a sand blaster)?
      I think my 83 650L did come with a black engine.it still looks brand new, take a look.

Comment

Sure does look good. Wonder if paint remover from Home Depot would be ok to use on aluminum?

Comment

I don't think any 850's were black. If you want to remove it, use aircraft stripper which you can get at automotive paint supply stores. It will take off paint and clear coat, but doesn't seem to stain or etch the aluminum. But make sure you only get it on what you want to strip.... stong stuff!!
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy
            I think my 83 650L did come with a black engine.it still looks brand new, take a look.
            VERY nice looking bike!!:-D
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
            79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce
              VERY nice looking bike!!:-D
              Its all original. Still has the clear coat on it and original paint.

Comment

aircraft stripper will work well can buy in rattle cans from Wal-Mart also

Comment

this leads into another direction, but I powdercoated my cylinders and rockerbox covers (obvously not my gs) and its awsome. So if you decide to keep it black, thats the way to go.

Comment

Powdercoating engine parts looks good, but is not reccomended for air cooled engine cylinders. It's too thick and can increase heat retention. Even an epoxy based paint can increase heat retention.
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by muskrat
                      aircraft stripper will work well can buy in rattle cans from Wal-Mart also
                      nice lookin ride there! I wish I had the patients and time to do that.All I have time to do is keep it clean and ride!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                        Powdercoating engine parts looks good, but is not reccomended for air cooled engine cylinders. It's too thick and can increase heat retention. Even an epoxy based paint can increase heat retention.
                        What did they paint the engines with at the factory.I think mine is original black
                        Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2006, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy
                          What did they pain the engines with at the factory.I think mine is original black
                          Mine is too. I've been told the factory paint is an acrylic. Epoxy and especially powder coatings are very thick. The trick is to strip the old paint off instead of layering it on. I'd bet the additional heat from a thicker paint is minimal, but I have heard that performance engine builders avoid it on cylinders.
                          Currently bikeless
                          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                            I disagree, although i thought the same thing before i did it. The heat retention of powdercoat is comparable, if not better to that of most other coatings and the lifespan and chemical resistance by far outweights any con.

Most new air cooled bikes come from the factory with powdercoated cylinders and heads. I actually had to uncoat mine (was an aluminum color) before doing them in black.

Now, if its not done right and is way to thick, then yes it can cause problems but not if dont correctly which any reputable shop can do.

Comment

I thought that the factory started painting engines black in 83 to help get [i]rid[\i] of heat. I have an aluminum 650...wanna trade that black 850 for it?

Comment

Working...
                              X