removing a faring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removing a faring

I just bought a '80 GS850G that has a full faring attached to the front (see pic). I'd like to remove the faring and just keep it to put on for long-haul rides, so I just want to know what's involved with taking it off. Anyone that's done this before have any input?

the drill

I just finished putting one of those ON, so here's what's involved:

1) an electrical cable runs from the inside left side of the fairing to the area of the headlight. Unclip cable at fairing connector.
    2) four small bolts attach the fairing to a metal mounting bracket. Undo bolts and remove fairing.
    3) reinstall original headlight and blinkers on front of bike.
    4) detach electrical cable and reconnect headlight and blinker wiring to bike harness.

If the original headlight and blinkers and their mounts did not come with the bike, you could probably get same on eBay.

Me, I'm planning to just remove the windshield and make a low screen, just as high as the top of the fairing, for hot days when I want air flow.

Comment

vents

Forgot to add, you can buy inexpensive air vents that install into the screen. See www.craigvetter.com>vetter fairings>restoration parts

Comment

Thanks for the info. This one has some air vents in the windsheild part already, but I will likely have to get a new headlight/blinker set. I don't think I need all the extra weight and bulk of the faring when I'm just tooling around town. It'll be nice on the 2000 mile trip I have planned for the summer though!

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by defwack
          I just bought a '80 GS850G that has a full faring attached to the front (see pic). I'd like to remove the faring and just keep it to put on for long-haul rides, so I just want to know what's involved with taking it off. Anyone that's done this before have any input?
          They make the fork mount that you clamp on so you dont have to remove your forks.That might be the way to go so when you reinstall your fairing it will be a snap!i have a faring also but it has a stero and I like it on there.Although Iwould like a naked bike for the summer months.i have been debating to do the same thing!

Comment

On my other two bikes, all I ever had was the simple fork-mounted windsheild. I prefer to go without anything when just riding around locally, although the windshield is nice on long hauls.

I actually just picked up the bike and rode it for the first time tonight. It's actually somewhat disconcerting at first that the faring doesn't turn with the fork like I'm used to. When you expect to see the windsheild move and it doesn't, it's kind of freaky!

This one doesn't have a radio or anything in it, but it does have wiring for one. Perhaps it'll be something to look into for the future.

Comment

I just took one off this past weekend. Taking the fairing itself off is a piece of cake. The problem I had was When I dropped the forks to slip the turnsignal headlight brackets back on I discovered the fact that there are two bushings that go on the top and bottom of each of those brackets to make them fit tight. I only had two of those rubber bushings and at least 2 out of the four are discontinued. After looking at several hardware stores and Tractor Supply I found some rubber and metal washers that I used together to come up with a tite fit. If you want to be able to put the fairing back on without dropping the forks you could try removing the stock headlight and turnsignals and turning the brackets in to the center and zip tie them together. Hopefully that would leave you enough clearance to put the fairing back on. I have never taken as much stuff off of a bike before, but it really was not that hard of a job. I did go riding Wed. without the fairing for the first time. It was 62 degrees and it was quite chilly without the fairing! Good luck.

Comment

On my other two bikes, all I ever had was the simple fork-mounted windsheild. I prefer to go without anything when just riding around locally, although the windshield is nice on long hauls.

I actually just picked up the bike and rode it for the first time tonight. It's actually somewhat disconcerting at first that the faring doesn't turn with the fork like I'm used to. When you expect to see the windsheild move and it doesn't, it's kind of freaky!

This one doesn't have a radio or anything in it, but it does have wiring for one. Perhaps it'll be something to look into for the future.
                I know what ya mean! I rode my father-in-laws 750 the other day, a bike without a fairing, it was really strange feeling,like something was missing.The fairings are big and once you get use to them its fine.

Comment

You can get clamp on mounts for nine bucks anywhere and they have the holes for the turn signals too.

Comment

Working...
                  X