Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

swapping handlebars

newbie here,

was curious as to how difficult/time consuming it is to swap bars and transfer all the components...

and if this is something relatively easy/failproof that can be done by a newbie...

also, I noticed some handlebars even have holes to hide the wiring, any feedback on going that route?

thanks everyone.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2006, 01:41 AM.

handlebars are easy to swap.2 10mm bolts are all that hold them to the top clamp usually.then you just remove a couple phillps head screws and take the octrols off from ewither side and put them back just like you took them off.all you have to remember is new bars cannot ake more cable that you started out with or you will have to buy andinstall longer cables which isnt real easy to do.they can be too long, but not too short.
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Originally posted by ron bayless
      they can be too long, but not too short.
      Dont you think they can be too short but not too long?

And BTW where can I buy LONGER cables? Do I just need to order cables fro a GS model with higher bars?

I NEED to get higher bars on my '78 GS 1000. The Super bike bars just about killed me last season. I need to go with MUCH higher bars with more pull back.

Comment

Originally posted by Rake78GS
        Dont you think they can be too short but not too long?

And BTW where can I buy LONGER cables? Do I just need to order cables fro a GS model with higher bars?

I NEED to get higher bars on my '78 GS 1000. The Super bike bars just about killed me last season. I need to go with MUCH higher bars with more pull back.
        Measure your current bars. Go to any local dealer that can get Tucker Rocky Distributing accesories. Tucker carries Bikemaster handlebars, they catagorize them by measurement, style and color. You should be able to pick out an exact bar for you. I believe the GS "L" or "GK" touring models will have the longest cables. (meaning the tallest ("L") model, or most pullback in the case of the "GK")

Comment

No i meant too long but no too short.In other words, if you put bars on with too much width or heigth, the lines will be too short.If you put bars on with lower height, then the cable will be too long, but that is ok.the too short part is not ok.I meant what you meant, but said it a different way.The absolute best way to raise your bars up without having to change cables is genmar risers.$98.00, take 10 minutes or less to put them on.Raises the bars up 1 3/4 inches without having to make any changes, and youdont even have to take any controls loose from the existing bars.My gs 1000l had the stock buckhorn bars which are probably the worst bars in all of motorcycling, I also went to bikemaster and bought trooper style bars with greater width,less pullback, and much more ocmfortable.I will also be adding genmar risers soon.
          future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Working...
          X