filling in badge area...how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hispl...

how well did your rattlecan application hold up? i've heard some negative things about doing it...such as the spray paint reacting negatively to gasoline, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by chicagogsx
      yeah, i think im going to end up taking off the existing paint first afterall...there isnt any rust really, but a few chips..so id be better off anyway.

could you please give me the name of that bondo you used?

also-
      is there a specific brand name, etc i should go with for paint stripper?

and when i apply the paint stripper, should i do the underside of the tank as well? i havent taken a look at the underside of the tank yet, its been mounted on the bike since i recently bought it...but i was curious as to if it would be a good idea to do the whole tank, top and bottom, while im at it.

thanks again everyone.
      It's called Evercoat by Metalworks Systems. It's a 2 part filler and is the best I've ever used. It dries real fast, so put it on and smooth it once or twice an leave it. Multipe thin coats are best.

If you want it to last - that's what I would use. Cheap Bondo has water in it and will crack and rust through eventually.

Why do the underside? If the paint is good with no rust - leave it.

Comment

Originally posted by chicagogsx
        hispl...

how well did your rattlecan application hold up? i've heard some negative things about doing it...such as the spray paint reacting negatively to gasoline, etc.
        Yes, gas would discolor it if you spilled some on it, but a quick shot of paint and it's all better. Bug splatter? No problem, quick shot of paint and it's all better! Mud? No problem.... Blood? Pet stains? Wine? Grease? Ground in dirt? All easily removed with a shot of paint. Act now and recieve a free roll of Duct tape (a $9.99 value) yours absolutely free!

Comment

This of course only applies to FLAT black paint. Anything else is not worth doing with a rattle can. Spray paint never really cures like a good auto paint should. The only reason the flat black works so well is that you can do touch ups without any prep work. Just shoot it and it blends right in...

Comment

You crack me up, Tim!! Daniela riding that 550? Since when? Cute pic of the kids on your flat black "showbike!!" ;-)

Regards,

*edited to fix the spelling of Tim's wife's name -- Sorry D! Thougnt you'd appreciate Two "L's" for the price of one!!
            Last edited by Guest; 05-02-2006, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Well.....

She has yet to ride, cuz it doesn't run yet! Well, it runs, kinda but it needs the wiring harness gone through. Some dormroom electrical engineer had his way with it at some point and hacked it to bits. This summer I'll rewire it and clean it up good and Daniela will learn how to ride it. If she likes it, we'll keep it. If not? Who knows!

Comment

Another product

I have used POR store Resto Grip and Straight Line body fillers. More expensive than bondo but a much better product.

Comment

fiberbond (fiberglass bondo, or bondo with fiber stands) works wonders... i'd say half my truck is held together by it!! :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS450L
                    fiberbond (fiberglass bondo, or bondo with fiber stands) works wonders... i'd say half my truck is held together by it!! :shock:
                    Sounds like the classic Brady Bunch exchange (when Greg buys his first car .. a beater):

Greg: "Is all the rust coming off?"

Bobby: "I hope not"

Greg: "Why?"

Bobby: "It's the only thing holding the car together!!"

Comment

Rattlecan paint..

I painted a CB550 (I know not a SUZ, but i had that first)... Krylon gloss black and it worked fine... stripped to bare metal and painted 2 coats.. when dry was totally gas proof... ( but it was done in the summertime in AZ and dried hard in three hours..).. looked good two yers later even..
                      \

Joe

Comment

Use mar-glass

The best thing to use is mar-gass its a green hard setting fiber glass filler. I have been doing body work for many years and it is your best bet. Bondo should never be spread more the a 1/4 inch thick and the shrinkage can be a pain. With mar-glass you get little to no shrinkage. Another option is liquid steel whichs is a filler with lead in it. This also drys real hard with little to no shrinkage. Make sure to cover all bare metal with an etching primer once that sets wet sand and apply a coat of sealer primer wet sand and then paint and clear the color you want. If your on a real budget just rattle can it several medium coats wet sanding before final coat then 3 or 4 med-heavy coats of clear. wet sand smooth and bring the finish back with a good compound.

My Respects
                        Pan

Comment

Working...
                        X