No announcement yet.

Dent Repair Expense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh I know they do ... but that doesn't seem nearly as much fun as getting a group of us together and learning as a group.

Good suggestion though, for people who might wind up learning on their own anyway...

Regards,

Comment

Personally having been in the autobody trade for a long while it sounds nice to see people appreciate our trade a bit. I'd give a bunch of what retains of my wealth of knowledge to anybody that's interested as long as they listen and do it. Sounds like fun to have a bunch of guys together working towards the final outcome with likeminded goals.

Comment

Mike,
        Why not just have a new tank bracket fabbed up at a machine shop and just mount another GS tank?
        2010 Honda VFR1200F
        1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
        Being Revisited
        1981 Honda CM400T
        http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Mike i posted pics of a tank i am selling in the parts section. Don't know if it's what you're looking for but it is what it is. Hope it can help you. Just PM me if you want it, otherwise, no worries.
          2010 Honda VFR1200F
          Being Revisited
          1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

I sent you a couple of PM's and I never received a reply.

What do you guys think would be the cost to change the pinstriping from '82 to '83?

Comment

Originally posted by yogib
              I was fortunate enough to grow up in a body shop.My Dad was a gearhead to boot,so growing up wasn't all too bad.There are some simple things that you can learn,like how to pick a dent with a hammer.I have never had to earn a living doing bodywork,mostly my own stuff,but would be privy to helping out.Mind you it's the begining of the riding season for me and I'm a little busy. Having a seminar would be kinda fun.Don
              A seminair? Sign me up for the class, I'm interseted in how to do it right.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike
                I sent you a couple of PM's and I never received a reply.
                ???

Mike I din't get them.

I am good at getting back to people. But like I said, just let me know.
                2010 Honda VFR1200F
                Being Revisited
                1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

I used hot glue stix to pull my dents. I'll get back with pics and the process. Works great, and cheap.... you'll be amazed.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by cloudbreakmd
                    ???

Mike I din't get them.

I am good at getting back to people. But like I said, just let me know.
                    Just wondering which would be the greater cost,...buying your tank and having it repainted with the '83 scheme, or having mine repaired. Does yours have any dents? Rust?

Comment

Check out the pics. Mine is definitely not show quality, it's just a daily rider. It probably does have rust in it from sitting on the shelf and it's age. Check out the pics in the sell section of the forum.

The dent repair on yours is going to be expensive though... Don't rush your decision. I have had the tank this long and am in no hurry to sell.

The glue stick does work sometimes, but it's hit and miss. I think the dent is too big on your tank though.
                      2010 Honda VFR1200F
                      Being Revisited
                      1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

Originally posted by cloudbreakmd
                        Check out the pics. Mine is definitely not show quality, it's just a daily rider. It probably does have rust in it from sitting on the shelf and it's age. Check out the pics in the sell section of the forum.

The dent repair on yours is going to be expensive though... Don't rush your decision. I have had the tank this long and am in no hurry to sell.

The glue stick does work sometimes, but it's hit and miss. I think the dent is too big on your tank though.
                        Rust isn't a big deal, and can be taken care of at the radiator shop. I can't tell from the pics if there are dents or not, however.

Comment

I run a detailing shop, and depending on where you live might be able to hook you up with some cheap deals.

None of the dents on your tank should be that big of a deal, since they are accesible, and the metal is thin.

This could run you about 200-250 canadian , if you do it regularly (a few dents). If you were around the GTA, i could probably get it done for 100.

let me know where you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Poot
                            I run a detailing shop, and depending on where you live might be able to hook you up with some cheap deals.

None of the dents on your tank should be that big of a deal, since they are accesible, and the metal is thin.

This could run you about 200-250 canadian , if you do it regularly (a few dents). If you were around the GTA, i could probably get it done for 100.

let me know where you are.
                            That would be fantastic, and I can't thank you enough.

I'm about an hour from Buffalo, about 20mins south of Rochester, NY.

I'm not in any way opposed to a trip to Toronto. I've never been and I've always wanted to go. I make it to Canada quite a bit, just never Toronto. I've even got some friends up there!

Thanks again,
                            Mike

Comment

No dents just a few dings.
                              2010 Honda VFR1200F
                              Being Revisited
                              1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

Originally posted by RobGS850L
                                Personally having been in the autobody trade for a long while it sounds nice to see people appreciate our trade a bit. I'd give a bunch of what retains of my wealth of knowledge to anybody that's interested as long as they listen and do it. Sounds like fun to have a bunch of guys together working towards the final outcome with likeminded goals.
                                Come on out to "Chi-town" and I'm sure the Chicagoland group will show you some real mid-western hospitality! A lot of the guys here are the "hands-on" type, and I'm sure we'd love to learn what you have to teach!

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                                X