Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK heres a few pics how I modified my "postless" side panels:

Heres the installed pic:

Heres the Titanium standoff I machined that nicely bolts to the rear brake resivoir:

Here is the modified front post mount using a 5mm s/m fairing nut off a GPZ1100:

And heres a pic of the grommet and the screw inserted into the GS side cover:
    Last edited by Guest; 05-26-2006, 08:49 PM.

Comment

side cover out of aluminum paint trays

I had this idea pearing around the garage for a quick fix and it actually worked, now it looks good from far, but far from good, I believe its my lack of finishing though. very inexpensive easy to work with

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam
        Also 20+ year old rubber gromments play a BIG factor in why the posts snap off. The rubber gromments become very hard, and simply don't flex to allow the "dart" of the posts to expand and seat. A fresh new Suzuki grommet is WAY more flixible than a 20 year old crusty hard grommet.
        An excellent point I hadn't even bothered to consider!

...so to revise my original thought, I would advocate keeping it simple (without drilling holes through the covers, etc.) AND replace the old rubber grommets with new ones. One last thing ... I "hedged my bet" by drilling anchor holes in the fins of the GOOD stems (the unbroken ones) and adding epoxy to the bases of each one. That way I should never have to deal with repairing broken stems ever again. It also saves time, because you might as well use the epoxy while it's out ... so I did!

Regards,

Comment

broken tabs

You might want to try a product from a company called "plastex". I've used their product to replace broken tabs on fairings and it seems to do the job quite nicely. They offer different size kits, I bought the small kit to give the stuff a try and found that you could easily do the mounting tabs on both covers with enough left over for several more small repairs.Also if your rubbers are hard just put a little dab of grease on them and it makes life easier till you can get new rubbers

Comment

I just did some new covers for mine, I hacked them together really quick but I think they look decent.

I tucked them in more than the originals.

please ignore the seat, that was my first attempt at sewing.

Comment

Plastex

Being as no one has mentioned a product called "Plastex" so far, I thought I should give them a "thumbs up". I've used this produt to repair broken tabs on a fairing from a Ducati and the results were good. The company web site does a good job of explaining the ins and outs of repair process. The small kit will easily fix the tabs on both side covers with enough left over to do several more small jobs. I've also used it to repair several cracks in plastic will equally good results. The kit will set you back less than $20.

Comment

I did but it wasn't because I bored it was because i needed them.

Comment

Hi repro side covers i dont think they would be that hard to have done .I am into vintage snowmobiles big time and oval racing and there are a lot of plastic parts being repro for vintage sleds, do to the same fact you cant get them any more . You could make jell coat side covers or have a mold made and with a larger order the price gose down you could have plastic company make them i will check and see where a lot of the sled parts are being done i have seen the new repro dashes tank cowls etc.. and the look better than the oem and seem to be stronger.

Comment

Interesting idea ... look forward to your findings!

Comment

Working...
                    X