Grey - guaze looking PIPE WRAP ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grey - guaze looking PIPE WRAP ??

Anyone used this and know where to get it and what it is called...

I want to research it a little.
    Do not plan on using it yet , but as the chrome gets roughed upon the pipes I sure might..

Let me know..

header tape or something like that. and you can find it at advanced auto parts or jegs or summit racing, a lot of places have it. It has graphite or something in it that is like this crazy poweder that irritates the heck our of you if you don't soak the stuff in a bucket of water before you put it on. so a search in this forum and you should def find a thread on it. I know I have seen it here.

Comment

It's fiberglass header wrap. Used for tight-fitting engines to keep heat out of the motor bay, and also used to conduct heat more efficiently out of the exhaust. It's very handy on sport bikes to keep the fairings from melting where they come into contact with the exhaust.

Cooler pipes can = cooler engines, better power, and better mileage. Header wrap (by keeping the heat inside the header) can also help exhaust "scavenging", where each exhaust "puff" creates a more efficient suction to pull each subsequent "puff" out behind it, basically reducing back pressure and potentially providing power gains.

It's pretty cheap stuff, and can be found at almost any auto parts store.

But instead of re-wrapping your header each year, I'd look into having your header blasted and ceramic coated.

-Q!

Comment

p.s. your nice chrome headers can rust under it

Comment

I was thinking about using the stuff. You can wrap the header and then spray hi temp paint over it to seal all the goodness in.

Comment

Yeah, I've done it on a painted exhaust that I kept having to paint. I used grey 1" wrap with black spray on sealer, made specifically for header wrap. It coats it and makes it hard and keeps moisture out of the wrap, prolonging life.

The bike sat outside for 2 springs, summers, and falls with the wrap on, and then 1 year in a garage. It was still in good shape when I sold the bike.

I suggest using the stainless steel cable ties to install it. 50' of wrap may be enough to do one full header set, but if you screw up you may want to have a 25' extra roll around.

One can of sealer is suffice.

~Adam

Comment

Working...
            X