I want wire wheels on my '79!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want wire wheels on my '79!!

I know that here HAS to be a way to do this...I'm not a big fan of the small rear, larger front mag look. Is there any way to go wire without a complete brake changover? If not, what do I need to do to revert to drum on the rears? My local junk dealer is trying to convince me to go with another manuf. wheels...(egad, what if it's kawasaki?) He assures me this shouldnt be too bad. [-o<

79 what?

The 79 GS 1000 has wires with a rear disc. You would need the proper swingarm for the disc.

A set of GS Hubs and some rims would complete the job. Everything should just bolt up.

You may be able to find the complete wire wheels , but shipping is a bitch
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Uh, oops, oh yeah...thats a GS550L. Sorry. I'll check the 1000 idea, thanks.

Comment

Just finished the change over to mags

well I just did the opposite.. I moved from wire to mags and swapped out the drums to disk.. ( did a complete swingarm change over... still have all the parts from the single disk front wire to the swingarm/wire rear/drum assembly including the brake pedal and linkage...) the only thing you will need to do is go to the 77-79 front speedo housing... it fits different then the later years do... one is inside of the hub and the other is outside.. I have 2 mags that use different drive hubs... the 650 model is different than the 550 model mag.. (I run both at different times)..

Joe

Comment

Working...
        X