Shorter Forks on the "L" Model?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shorter Forks on the "L" Model?

Like I've said elsewhere...I have a 79 GS550L that I got for free but I don't really like the rake, can I simply put on another, shorter, set of forks to take some of it away? What do you guys recommend?

You may be able to just raise the forks in the triples to lower the front end. Just go a little at a time because it will change the handling and make it quicker and may cause a little oversteer.

Comment

I thought of that already...I'm saving it for a last resort. Any other year's forks compatible?

Comment

Originally posted by OklahomaPomade
        I thought of that already...I'm saving it for a last resort. <snip<
        Funny, I used it (raise forks in TT) as a first resort... It's free & easy (if your handlebars/etc. allow more clearance for fork tops/caps.) I raised mine nearly 1 inch & like the results.

Probably a fair amount of compat. replacements tho.

Comment

I took the old measuring tape out and realized I could only get about 1/2 inch because of my drag bars. My old 78 kawasaki...(don't say a word!) forks are a full 3 inches shorter and the same diameter. The solution may be only as far away as the other side of my garage!! I'll let you all know how it goes.

Comment

I lowered mine 3 inches, had to make my own handle bars though, turned out great never the less.-darren

Comment

I decided against the kawa forks, though they will in all likelihood fit. Seems as though the axles are different...(I guess I could drill out the wheel...) Hmm.

Comment

Working...
              X