forward controls will be on per bike request now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

forward controls will be on per bike request now

I recently sold some crash bars from my 1980 gs 1000gl to a guy named getsum for his 1978 gs 1000.He tells me they did not fit, that the bolt pattern was different,would not work at all.This creates another dilemma for the forward control project.If there are several different models, and several different models within any given model year, then I cannot make the parts in advance and mail them to anyone because unless they have a bike just like mine, they would not fit.I bought some plans from the internet for some official patterns for the controls with some adaption necessary for the vtwin to inline four differences.i can make each of the various components/pieces,such as the 3/8 steel plate plasma cut brake pedal side, the shifter arm side, the backing plates,etc.But the linkage length could be a myriad of different lengths,the backing plates that mount to the former crash bar site owuld most likely be different bike to bike.Thus,someone with a particular bike could give me the exact measurements and i could make some that might fit.Might.Or,i could send the various pieces and you would have to assemble them,get them welded in place per your own bike's angles and slants and then get them finished however you want.All the various parts would be common to a degree as mentioned here.Or, i could sell you a copy of the plans and you could have them made yourself for $5.00 plus the price of a stamp.Or, i could make some, finishe them,send them to you, and if they didnt fit I suppose you could mail them back to me.If all 650,750,850,1000,1100 bikes have their own particular variations you can see the predictament.Input appreciated.
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

What if I mailed you a set of crash bars from my 1100GK? What would you need then? I know you'd need measurements of my linkage I guess? I wouldn't know how to measure it for you though.

Comment

I never thought of that! I guess i didnt figgure someone would want to do that.Yes, i think that would work.The linkage has some adjustment,about 1 1/2 inches longer or shorter,but too much and then the brake pedal or the shifter arm will be at the wrong angle.I would imagine your linkage and the length on all the big bikes like ours would be pretty much the same.The mounting points would all be different.Not much different, but just enough to be annoying and prevent mass production.I already gave up on the splined couplers.I will use a special made nonsplined coupler with a set screthat will be fine.I expect my cost will be high since my friend will not be helping me now.I would recommend shipping the finished product with just raw metal in case some adjusting or trimming needed done which would ruin a new chrome or powder coat finish.I know few people have integrity or can be trusted these days.I can onlysay if i had your crash bars you would get them back for sure.I certainly have no need for a bunch of crash bars anyway since the controls make them unuseable.I am using sturms welding here in pilot point.They arent the cheapest, but they are the best at what they do in this part of Texas.
      future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

So what kind of total are we looking at for pre/post/intermitant production and shipping, all that good stuff? You mentioned cost would be high. How high? Higher than before?

Comment

THE COST OF THE METAL IS NOT HIGH,PROBABLY $25.00 PER SET.tHE LINKAGE MAY HAVE TO BE A STEEL ROD WITH A COTTER PIN IN EACH END, BECAUSE THE RODENDS ALONE WOULD BE $40.00 A SET.THE SHOP CHARGES $40.00 AN HOUR.i FIGURE THEY WOULD CHARGAT LEAST 4 HOURS FOR EACH SET.tHAT MAKES AOBUT $200.00 AND NO FINISH APPLIED.aLSO A PERSON WOULD HAVE TO FIND THEIR OWN FOOTPEGS BECAUSE THEY COULD COST FROM $25.00 TO $150.. A SET.I AM GUESSING $200 UNFINISHED PLUS $50.00 FOR MY TROUBLE,PLUS SHIPPING.FINISHING SHOULD PROBABLY WAIT UNTIL SOMEONE PUTS THEM ON AND SEES THAT THEY FIT.OTHERWISE THE CHROMING PROCESS COULD MAKE THEM COST EVEN MORE.SO,ABOUT $250+ OR MINUS.

Comment

Working...
          X