Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seat- Side Covers- Fuel Tank: will the "E" or "T" versions just bolt on an "L" model?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat- Side Covers- Fuel Tank: will the "E" or "T" versions just bolt on an "L" model?

I don't like the look of the "L" model but in my market area the majority of the used GS450 bikes I'm finding are just that. Would it be a simple bolt on to put the "E" or "T" tank, side covers or seat on an "L" model?

I'm not sure about the 450, but on the 4 cylinder bikes E and T body parts won't swap onto an L.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Just my opinion, totally different bikes, engines are about the only thing the same.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I wrote that "I don't like the look of the "L" model. I should never have termed it that way. The "L" model is OK appearance wise but it doesn't look good to me comfort wise. I find those severely stepped seats to be very uncomfortable after a few hours. I find those high rise "buckhorn" handlebars equally uncomfortable, ESPECIALLY in cold weather. The gas tank is too small for my needs. I have done a lot of riding out West and the additional range provided by the "S","E" or even the "T" model gas tank would be a godsend. I am indifferent to the side covers.
        I would prefer to keep whatever GS450 model I'm riding, unless it's the "L" model, stock, within certain limitations. I would like LED lighting and modern tires etc. If I found I could easily transfer "E", "S" or "T" components to an "L" frame, I will, if the "L" is the only thing I can find and afford.
        The "T" model is my favorite, with the "E" and "S", close seconds!

Comment

I don't think you're hurting to many people's feelings by stating "I don't like the look of the "L" model". I's a common enough sentiment. Through there are some that love it. To each, their own.
          As for the headlight, I do believe (but could be wrong) that most "L" models have a smaller than normal headlamp bucket, which would preclude the easy installation of the more common LED headlamps like the Truck-Lite. But that could be overcome with the acquisition of a 7" bucket from another model. To do the LED, you'd also want to first upgrade the R/R to something like the SH775 first.

Is there a reason you're stuck on the 450 (twin) models. If you expand your search into the 4-cylinder models, it opens up a lot more possibilities. A GS 650 or 750 is not a big bike.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

My first bike, and the only new bike I ever owned, was a 1980 Kawasaki KZ440A. Aside from being an SOHC it was very similar to the GS450. After that, I owned a Yamaha SR500, 2 Yamaha XS650s, a Kawasaki KZ750B (twin) and back to 2 more Yamaha XS650s. The KZ440 was a 6 speed and everything else was a 5 speed.
            I'm partial to air cooled twins and thumpers. I don't need or want to mess with liquid cooling. I only want to adjust 4 valves on 2 cylinders or 2 valves on 1 cylinder. I only want to balance 2 carbs at most and have both my carbs as outside carbs. I do all my own maintenance including mounting and balancing tires so why not keep things simple? I don't care about top speeds or quarter mile times. All my bikes could hit 100 mph, or a bit over, and I only did the ton ONCE and that was on my 440. Since then, I don't think I've been over 85 mph?
            I have never had a fairing or a windshield on any of my bikes. I like being able to pick up my bike if it falls over without help. I like that my bikes are a snap to roll around the garage. I ran out of gas on I-86 and coasted down the exit ramp to the stop sign. Rather than leave the bike and walk the mile to get gas and walk that mile back, I pushed my XS650 as fast as I could normally walk to the gas pump. I'm a flooring installer and always drive a full size American van in which I keep a 2 x 10 x 7 ft board so I can load my bikes by myself after removing only the mirrors.
            I drove my 440 from Central Florida to Central Wyoming with a side trip to Augusta, Georgia ... 2,600 miles in a week. I drove that 440 from Albuquerque, NM to Central Florida ... 1,900 miles in 3 or 4 days. I drove that bike 800 miles from Lander, Wyoming to Albuquerque in a single day, two times.
            My 440 was a new bike and I kept track of every drop of gas and oil in a small logbook under the seat. For the total of 33,000 miles I put on it, I averaged over 60 mpg. I am fanatical about maintenance and I do everything the factory tells me so I usually get great service from my bikes. Maintaining the bike is a hobby. I always have a factory manual for whatever bike I drive and on long trips it goes with me.
            I love the sound of thumpers and twins ... it's a small bonus.
            After all these years I think my next bike might be my last. I am 71 and giving a lot of thought to it. I want a bike that's lighter than the KZ750B or the XS650 and I don't want a bike like the SR500 that only has a kick starter. 65 mpg is way better than 55 mpg. I never appreciated the KZ440 when I owned it as I do now, 41 years later. The 6th gear on the 440 was something I always missed on the other bikes. I researched it and parts would be easier to obtain for a GS450 than for a KZ440. It's still possible I will go with a GS500E? As practical as I can be sometimes, there is something about an older car, truck or motorcycle that gives me great joy as an owner. My van is a '91 Dodge MaxiWagon and my car is a '90 VW Cabriolet.
            Maybe I should provide my answers as an audio book?

Comment

I get it. And thank you for the history. Really. You have a great long history with similar bikes. And honestly, I bet you would make a great audio book with your stories on each of them. . Good luck in your search. Sheridan is a bit of a haul from central PA but If I come across anything in my area, I'll shoot you a message.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Seems you've got it figured, as to what works for you. You do get waaay more out of smaller bikes than most, and those twins will do it fine, just that many rather use something a little bigger. To me, trying finding more of what you want may be better than trying to convert the "L". Install lower bars and ride it till something pops up. There was a pretty big selection of 400 to 450 parallel twins back in the early 80"s, and all pretty dang good bikes & it seems brand doesn't matter. Watch for a 400 or 450 Hawk, KZ, GS, XS & have what you're really wanting... You said a KZ450A with a 6 speed, I'd always thought the "A" stood for automatic, like the Honda Hawk 400A and suzuki GS450A, of that era.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

The KZ440A was one of two 440 models that were the "chopper-lite" versions, similar to the GS450L. The "A" was chain drive and the "D" was belt drive. The KZ440B was the basic model with a drum front brake and the "C" was comparable to the GL450E.

Comment

I's sure thinking Kawa. had an auto. in line with the Suzuki & Honda back then. I must have been remembering the belt drive instead, appx same size bike and roughly same yrs.

Comment

Working...
                    X