Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'81 GS1100E skinned with '82 GS1000G/GK body parts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 GS1100E skinned with '82 GS1000G/GK body parts.

Hello.

It's been 8 years sine my last post.
    Finally ready to restore/mod/have fun.

I own a '81 GS1100E but I enjoy more the look of the '82 GS1100G/GK

Can I install GK body parts on my GS1100E?

The other route is getting a GK frame and body parts and swap in my E engine, but not sure it will fix / work. The GK is shaft.

Thank you.

No. And no.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Again No. And no
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

For the love of all that is Holy, No.

You do know the G/GK are shaft drive and the 11E chain drive, right? Maybe a swap could be done, but at what cost?
        Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 06-27-2024, 11:54 AM.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

They're completely different bikes in every way. Frames, engines, drive system, bodywork, proportions, etc.

I think the front wheel bearings and maybe a few nuts and bolts might be the same.

It is super-annoying when you're looking for parts or whatever and it's just listed as something for a "GS1100" without the E, ES, L, G, GL, or GK that would actually tell you which flippin' bike it is.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            They're completely different bikes in every way. Frames, engines, drive system, bodywork, proportions, etc.

I think the front wheel bearings and maybe a few nuts and bolts might be the same.
            Rear tire air is compatible (usually). Front is completely different.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

So I guess it's a no go!

Comment

At the risk of a hijack, how about swapping the 82/83 1100E body parts onto an 81 1100E?

Comment

Originally posted by Don R View Post
                  At the risk of a hijack, how about swapping the 82/83 1100E body parts onto an 81 1100E?
                  I like the title of the thread;swap just tank,seat & bodywork w/ the GS1000G possible?

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post

I like the title of the thread;swap just tank,seat & bodywork w/ the GS1000G possible?
                    At the risk of repeating all of the above posts, ... no and NO.
                    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

yes and yes if your handy, people have used shafty frames for chain drive swingarm swaps , wider at pivot more choices means easier and lots of engines will fit

Comment

Originally posted by Don R View Post
                        I don't know the answer (yet), but at least that's a logical switch. As Cycle World said in 1982, the '81 just 'didn't look like the world's fastest bike.' 1982 solved that and also lowered the seat height a bit.

Being that the engine is externally identical, and I think the frame was unchanged in '82, it should be possible to skin an '81 with '82 or '83 bodywork and tank.

Comment

people have been using 1980-83 frames to make katana replicas, because they like that body work more, go figure never thought a katana looked good
                          seems every ausie racing a classic suzuki it's a katana, not many started as such, real hard to get a good set of any of these early 80's panels nowadays anyway
                          very few in the world mess with this stuff anyway. Nay sayers are just that

Comment

saw a build of a 80-81 gs1100e tank on a gs1150 frame cafe type seat, that thing looked phat

Comment

Working...
                            X