Pilot Box / Indicator Lights Cover Lettering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pilot Box / Indicator Lights Cover Lettering

Anybody have any tips on how to "refresh" the white lettering on the Pilot Box cover?? Oil, Turn, Neutral, and High Beam are pretty faded and not very visible on mine.

Was thinking something like filling in the letters on a pistol slide, but they don't seem to be very deep in the plastic.

I've searched the previous threads with limited results. Cover is just like the one below, but most of the lettering is gone.

image.png

Just wondering if anyone else has ever tried to make the letters nice and clean again and what process they may have used. Any help in the right direction would be appreciated! ​
    - David

80 GS850GL
    Arlington, TX

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ARMNMTNDSDTXsm.jpg

I got this idea from Chuck Hahn IIRC. This works if the letters are raised. Use enamel white Testor's model paint. The kind we used to use to paint plastic models. Shake well, put some in the paint bottle lid. Use a pencil with a new good rubber eraser. Dab the eraser in the paint. Then dab the letters. Takes some practice. Make sure you have some thinner and q-tips for clean up. See If I can find a pic.

The lettering on my Glock slide are engraved/recessed and I use a wax crayon to color those in, then wipe to remove the excess.
    I've been afraid to try that on the TURN and NEUTRAL words on the plexi of the instrument panel for fear of scratching it worse than it is.

Before:

After:
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; Today, 02:45 PM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thanks Rich. I am trying to get the ones on the clear plastic part looking a little better.

I did the slide on my Taurus G2c with thinned out Testor's model paint and wiping off the excess with some Hoppe's oil. That worked awesome and turned out beautiful.
      - David

80 GS850GL
      Arlington, TX

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ARMNMTNDSDTXsm.jpg

Comment

I’ll have to try the testor’s on the Glock next time I feel like tarting it up again.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
        X