No announcement yet.

GS1000 streetfighter idea w/ picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in the middle of doing full gsxr suspension including monoshock on my gs1000. will post some pics as soon as i get a photobucket account. fabbed up both top and bottom frame mounts and had them professionally welded. just playing with ride height a little before i have the mounts welded to the frame

Comment

Sweet! Would love to see pics of your frame mounts. Could you give some specifications as to their dimensions and what you made them out of? Also, how'd you mount the pivot bolt to the frame?

Would be a huge help! Thanks!

Originally posted by runrx02 View Post
      in the middle of doing full gsxr suspension including monoshock on my gs1000. will post some pics as soon as i get a photobucket account. fabbed up both top and bottom frame mounts and had them professionally welded. just playing with ride height a little before i have the mounts welded to the frame
      Last edited by Guest; 12-14-2006, 03:23 AM.

Comment

i used a bandit header

I used a pre 2000 bandit header for my 1979 gs 750. All i had to do was cut off the old flanges and weld on my old gs ones. Worked great and sounds even better.

Comment

That's really smart. 8)

If the exhaust port spacing between the GS1000 and GS750 is the same, that may be THE way to go.

Did you have to fab up a midpipe or make any other mods to the Bandit exhaust?

Originally posted by odl777 View Post
          I used a pre 2000 bandit header for my 1979 gs 750. All i had to do was cut off the old flanges and weld on my old gs ones. Worked great and sounds even better.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
            That's really smart. 8)

If the exhaust port spacing between the GS1000 and GS750 is the same, that may be THE way to go.

GSX750 & GSX1100 exhausts interchange if that helps.

Dink

Comment

Regarding the rear suspension, I'm toying with the idea of fabbing in my GSXR1100 banana swinger. This would free-up my old swinger for someones project.

As far as the actually suspension, i'm keen on keeping the twin shock style. I like the looks of it, and the simplicty. If i went with my different swinger, i'd have a lot of fab to do to make it work... but would be worth it i think.

Comment

Sometimes it's a matter of $$$

I have a GS 1000 that I'm grafting on a GSXR 1100 front end, and GSXR 17" wheels, to be able to use radials, and have good brakes and suspension. I'm planning on keeping it as stock looking as possible. I just couldn't afford to buy a used Bandit 1200 or GSXR 1100. When I'm done, I'll have a lot of the advantages of the modern bikes and GS grunt without going broke. It's the only way some of us can afford to get what we need.
                1979 GS 1000

Comment

no mods really

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                  That's really smart. 8)

No i really didnt have to do any mods at all, just change the collars out. It cost me about a total of 50 dollars thanks to ebay. sounds like a new crotch rocket and turns many heads. the pics are at http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e249/odl777/

Comment

Pan-

Do you think a 4 into 2 into 1 Hindle 85-87 GSXR 750 exhaust would slot right in to the GS1000? Do you know what brand of header yours is? Very very nice, by the way.

Those pre-2000 Bandit 1200 headers would work in terms of header spacing, but I haven't seen one yet that's a 4 into 2 into 1 - they're all 4 into 1s which still leaves the ground clearance issue open.

Thanks everyone for your help! If there's ever anything I can do for you, please let me know!

Originally posted by pan View Post
                    I'm sorry to have to say this but I think you are right. If it almost fitted then you would be in with a fighting chance, pretty well anything can be made to fit but this just looks like too much work to be viable. Look for a system for a GSXR 750 slab-side, I cant vouch for them all but that's what my one was made for & fits like a glove.

Put yours on ebay after the holiday, you never know you may ever make a profit;-)

Comment

If its similar to my one then I would say yes, the only mod that my pipe needed was the holes the exhaust collars ( the ones that the exhaust studs go through ) needed to be turned into slots. I have no idea what make my one is used. If the Hindle system is for sale at a good price then give it a go, I was unsure if my one would fit but I always think that as long as you don't pay over the odds you can always resell & get your money back.

Mark...

Comment

here are the pics of my monoshock (in progress)...

Comment

pics of the bracket...

Like i said before, still playing around with ride height before i get it welded to the frame. hope this helps.
                          Last edited by Guest; 12-15-2006, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Looks sweet! How did you get the GSXR swingarm to fit in the GS frame at the pivot bolt?

Comment

just took a grinder to it until it fit. had a buddy fab up an offset spacer to fit inside the swingarm so i could use the gs bolt

Comment

Here's an interesting bit of exhaust trivia from eBay, at least when it comes to GS1000 exhausts.

Look at the chart about half way down - the part numbers for the 86-92 GSXR 1100 and the GS1000 are the same! So it would stand to reason that I could put a 86-92 Gixxer 1100 header on the bike, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X