GS1000 streetfighter idea w/ picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
    Here's an interesting bit of exhaust trivia from eBay, at least when it comes to GS1000 exhausts.

Look at the chart about half way down - the part numbers for the 86-92 GSXR 1100 and the GS1000 are the same! So it would stand to reason that I could put a 86-92 Gixxer 1100 header on the bike, right?
    I *think* that's the exhaust that i have, and i would say that yes, it will fit, but not without some effort. Gimme a couple days, and i'll see how well mine fits again, and how much work is needed.

Comment

Here's an interesting bit of exhaust trivia from eBay, at least when it comes to GS1000 exhausts.

Look at the chart about half way down - the part numbers for the 86-92 GSXR 1100 and the GS1000 are the same! So it would stand to reason that I could put a 86-92 Gixxer 1100 header on the bike, right?
      I *think* that's the exhaust that i have, and i would say that yes, it will fit, but not without some effort. Gimme a couple days, and i'll see how well mine fits again, and how much work is needed.

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Originally posted by Druro View Post

Comment

Spent about an hour tonight making a new ignition switch out of the GSXR ignition switch and the harness connector from the GS. Three of wires were the same color, so it was pretty easy. Red matched to red, brown matched to brown, and orange matched to orange. The only wires that didn't match were the black one on the GS harness connector, and the orange/yellow one on the GSXR ignition switch. Anyone know what those wires are for?

A bit of soldering the wires together, some shrinkwrap insulation, and it was off to the garage to test it out. I plugged the headlight and my new hybrid ignition switch into the harness, crossed my fingers, and turned the key to on. It worked - the headlight came on! \\/

Next step is to bolt the new switch into the GSXR triple tree. After that, the wiring for the new digital speedo/tach.

I also had a look at the ignition switch situation. The stock GS1000 ignition switch isn't the same shape/size and doesn't have the same mounting points on the upper triple clamp as the Gixxer 1000. But, you gotta love Suzuki consistency when it comes to ignition switch wiring.

The first pic is of the guts of the stock GS1000 ignition switch. As you can see, there are 4 wires - red, orange, brown, and black. The second pic shows that the new GSXR 1000s have the same wiring! A bit of soldering work to mate the Gixxer ignition switch wires with the GS harness connector and we should be good to go. Not to mention the GSXR ignition switch will bolt right up to the new GSXR top triple tree.

Last edited by Guest; 12-17-2006, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Well, I won the eBay auction for the '89 GSXR 1100 exhaust system. Nice 4 into 2 into 1 system.

I'm making an educated guess that the header will fit based on the fact the V&H pipe mentioned a few posts ago fits both the GS1000 and the 89-92 GSXR 1100. I'll find out in a few days if this is the case. If it doesn't, I'll get a pre-2000 Bandit 1200 header and modify the bore to fit the GS1000 exhaust ports.

Here's a pic:

Last edited by Guest; 12-18-2006, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Hey 80GS1000 when you installed your handlebars what made you decide on the kind with a small rise over dragbars? Was it just a personal preference or needed to allow clearance between the gas tank when turned?

I havent done any mods yet but I need to get handlebars now and I want to get some thing that I will be able to use later after some changes. I will be doing the same type frontend swap as you.

Thanks

Comment

I like the look of drag bars but 300 mile sport touring days in the mountains with upturned bars are much more comfortable. That and the fact they came with the GSXR handlebar riser triple tree kit, so I *had* to use them.

The small bit of pullback in the bars means you don't have to lean over so far. The riding position with these bars is pretty much the same as it was with the bars that came with the bike (see the first page of this thread for a photo).

If you want to install drag bars though, I don't think you'll need to worry about the bars hitting the tank. The forks will hit the tank first, making new steering stops necessary, at least with the late model GSXR 1000 front ends.

Good luck and post pics of your project.

Originally posted by akreider View Post
                Hey 80GS1000 when you installed your handlebars what made you decide on the kind with a small rise over dragbars? Was it just a personal preference or needed to allow clearance between the gas tank when turned?

I havent done any mods yet but I need to get handlebars now and I want to get some thing that I will be able to use later after some changes. I will be doing the same type frontend swap as you.

Thanks
                Last edited by Guest; 12-19-2006, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Alright this bike is pretty damn hot, but that's gotta be the hugest, most ridiculous looking seat and tail section I've ever seen. That cowl looks damn near half a foot past the rear wheel. I mean it's functional and all because if that bike's as fast as it looks you'd need to keep yourself from flying off the back, but that's hideous.

Last edited by Guest; 12-21-2006, 01:13 AM.

Comment

I think it has to be that big to house the parachute.

Comment

PLease keep us updated on this exhaust situation, my bike needs a new exhaust. I have been frustrated with the lack of decent options and if this fits would be really helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by isaac View Post
                        Alright this bike is pretty damn hot, but that's gotta be the hugest, most ridiculous looking seat and tail section I've ever seen. That cowl looks damn near half a foot past the rear wheel. I mean it's functional and all because if that bike's as fast as it looks you'd need to keep yourself from flying off the back, but that's hideous.

This is one of the coolest bikes I've ever seen! I'd LOVE to have that seat. KGB has one and they're hard to come by. My own seat is modded to resemble it.
                        The tail cowl is in the original position. Nothing wrong with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
                          This is one of the coolest bikes I've ever seen! I'd LOVE to have that seat. KGB has one and they're hard to come by. My own seat is modded to resemble it.
                          The tail cowl is in the original position. Nothing wrong with it.
                          Or Wes Cooley's seat on the original Yoshimura GS1000 racebike. The stepped seat kept his rear end from sliding off the back on that 130-140 HP firebreathing monster. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ9o00EQg9g

I really like the look of this Yoshi replica with the modern GSXR suspension:

Last edited by Guest; 12-21-2006, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tateG View Post
                            PLease keep us updated on this exhaust situation, my bike needs a new exhaust. I have been frustrated with the lack of decent options and if this fits would be really helpful.
                            Sure thing. I'll find out tomorrow hopefully when it arrives.

Comment

you know what's interesting is that there are a bunch of freddie spencer videos on youtube, but no wes cooley ones... too bad.

Comment

Quick update on the exhaust situation-

The 89 GSXR 1100 exhaust system arrived tonight.

I took the header out to the garage to test it out, and was pleased to find that the header spacing is the same between the GS1000 and the 89 GSXR 1100!

Not only that, but the exit point of the 4-2-1 collector is at just the right spot behind the brake pedal.

The gotchas are that the header downpipes are too long by about 2-3" (hangs under the engine too close to the ground), the downpipes by the flanges are at the wrong angle for optimum ground clearance, and the downpipes are smaller on the GSXR header by about 1 mm. The exit point of the collector would make the exhaust can stick out at an angle, so a custom midpipe needs to be made to make the can parallel with the frame.

So, the task now is to get the GSXR header bent/cut/welded into the ideal dimensions for the GS engine and frame. The flanges from the V&H header may be used to overcome the diameter difference. Time for round 2 of exhaust measuring.

When it's all said and done, there'll be 4.5-5" of ground clearance under the header. \\/

Hope everyone has a nice Christmas weekend. :-D
                                Last edited by Guest; 12-23-2006, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X