GS1000 streetfighter idea w/ picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
    Strange, maybe my web hosting went down in the middle of the night?! Is it working now?

No still x
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

It has to be your computer or settings, not sure, all I know is the pics have always been visible for me ever since they were first posted. I am using Firefox as a browser, not sure if that makes a difference.

Comment

I spent time in my shed building exactly what you want...

Is that you Boarderline???

YJ

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
          PJ.
          I have attempted twice to send pics.
          This is embarrassing. Three strikes and i'm out.
          Steve.
          Whoaaah! steve murdoch!!!

that is one beautiful GS, good catch

Comment

Originally posted by tateG View Post
            It has to be your computer or settings, not sure, all I know is the pics have always been visible for me ever since they were first posted. I am using Firefox as a browser, not sure if that makes a difference.
            Fixed for the Internet Explorer users. It was working in Firefox but not in Internet Explorer.

Comment

Originally posted by YoshiJohnny View Post
              I spent time in my shed building exactly what you want...

Is that you Boarderline???

YJ

[ATTACH]1609[/ATTACH]
              YJ-

Welcome to the GSR!

It's me, PJ. Hadn't seen that picture of your Yoshi special - nice!!! Are the numberplates new?
              Last edited by Guest; 01-16-2007, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Thanks again PJ for posting the pics.
                The Works piggybacks are ready, new tires and a top end oiler are next.
                Come on spring!
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Had a look at that GSXR 1100 motor over the weekend in southwestern Colorado. Sad to say, but pretty much everything that could be wrong with it was - low compression(130 PSI, should be 170-200), fouling the plugs, BIG flaming backfires at about 4000 RPM on up, broken engine fins from being dropped, blowing lots of smoke, leaking gaskets etc etc. Would need a serious top to bottom rebuild. So that plan has been laid to rest. And the project takes another turn.

Next (and maybe should have been the first ) option is to rebuild the GS1000 motor with a 1085 Wiseco kit, K&N pods, Dyna S ignition, Dynojet stage 3 carb kit, weld the crank, undercut the tranny, and install an oil cooler. More engine mods would then follow down the road.

Had a chance to drive through Arches National Park near Moab in southeastern Utah on the way back home to SLC from Colorado. The park is famous for its rock formations that have formed over the eons.
                  Here's some photos we took: http://www.slcelectronics.com/GS1000...Moab/index.htm

Comment

Arches is just bueatiful and so are your plans for the bike. To bad on the newwer GSXR oil cooled motor. At least you have an engine already. Next time your going to be in SW colorado (in warmer weather) send me a PM and we can go for a cruise. :-D

Comment

YJ-

Welcome to the GSR!

It's me, PJ. Hadn't seen that picture of your Yoshi special - nice!!! Are the numberplates new?

Hey PJ,

Been on here before but forgot me password doh :shock:

The number boards were on for a while and I liked them but others weren't too keen so I took them off.
                      They will be on again this year!!!!
                      The motor has also changed for a slight upgrade.
                      Stage 2 dialled in cams and a 1085 wiseco big bore. It won't frighten the modern stuff unless they get too close to the pipe ha ha

YJ

Comment

YoshiJohnny, told you on oldskool...

Love that bike!

Comment

hey guys don't forget the wiesco co 1100 kit it's another 15cc of fun.....

80gs1000, if you are going with a built up a 80's 1k motor, before you spend money on a ported head you may want to look into a 82/83 1100 gk head. They are 8v and have bigger ports plus the exhaust port is "D" shape to help flow better. And it should be a direct swap. I would go with one myself when i get around to doing my engine (1085 yosh kit 11.2:1) but for some reasone i am very fond of my 29mmSB carbs and it wouldn't make sence to run them on that head with the bigger intake ports that are set up for cv carbs.

also don't forget you need to weld your clutch basket as well, the rivets over time work lose and destroy a motor. maybe we can compare notes if you want, i am guessing it will take about 2k bucks to get a motor built pretty good, that includes port job,
                          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                          82 Kat 1000 Project
                          05 CRF450x
                          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Firsttimer - Thanks for the tips. A couple questions are below.

Originally posted by first timer View Post
                            hey guys don't forget the wiesco co 1100 kit it's another 15cc of fun.....
                            Would you notice the difference from the extra 15 ccs?

80gs1000, if you are going with a built up a 80's 1k motor, before you spend money on a ported head you may want to look into a 82/83 1100 gk head. They are 8v and have bigger ports plus the exhaust port is "D" shape to help flow better. And it should be a direct swap. I would go with one myself when i get around to doing my engine (1085 yosh kit 11.2:1) but for some reasone i am very fond of my 29mmSB carbs and it wouldn't make sence to run them on that head with the bigger intake ports that are set up for cv carbs.
                            How does the flow on that 1100 head compare to a professionally done proper port/polish job on the 1000 head? Which is better?

I think YJ has GSXR 1100 slingshot carbs on his bike - what kind are they? Might as well get the right carbs jetted and podded from the get-go.

also don't forget you need to weld your clutch basket as well, the rivets over time work lose and destroy a motor. maybe we can compare notes if you want, i am guessing it will take about 2k bucks to get a motor built pretty good, that includes port job,
                            Do you know if the heavy duty clutch basket and hub from APE (http://gszone.biz/clutches.html) will work on the GS1000? If so, I'll probably grab one of those and ditch the OEM clutch basket and hub.
                            Last edited by Guest; 01-18-2007, 03:31 AM.

Comment

Firsttimer - Thanks for the tips. A couple questions are below.

Would you notice the difference from the extra 15 ccs?

i don't know, looked at wiseco and they say both kits are 10.25:1 the bore size is .5mm bigger. then 1085 both cost the same, i don't see why not just go bigger.

How does the flow on that 1100 head compare to a professionally done proper port/polish job on the 1000 head? Which is better?

if you are decided on a ported head why not just get a 1100 gk head. they can be had for pretty cheap. make sure it fits and then get it ported. the main advantage is the d exaust which most modern bike now use. Plus bigger valves to start with i think. do a search in performace mods there was some talk. basically less work for your builder, ie cheaper?

I think YJ has GSXR 1100 slingshot carbs on his bike - what kind are they? Might as well get the right carbs jetted and podded from the get-go.

carbs don't matter much, well they do but most people use smooth bore 33 or 29 on 1000's (it's a vintage thing) but i think you can get away with using early 90's gsxr carbs. i am not sure if they are cv or cv flat side or flat side vm type. people here have used them on their gs1100, once again need to do a search and you will be on your own to get them set right. maybe oss can be of more help.

Do you know if the heavy duty clutch basket and hub from APE (http://gszone.biz/clutches.html) will work on the GS1000? If so, I'll probably grab one of those and ditch the OEM clutch basket and hub.

no i don't i was going to call them to see, i was told all you need to do is get the rivets replaced with heavier duty ones and welded so they don't work lose. falcon i think can do this, basically send the clutch basket to who you get to do your crank.

basically this is my plan for my motor once i get done spending money on my SV.

stage 1

basically these are all the things that make sence to do since you already have your motor half way apart already, you don't want to tear back into a motor to weld the crank just cause now you have money to pay for it, what i am saying is make sure you have all the funds first so you can get it done right the first time and save yourself more money in the long run

-pull motor apart,
                              -weld and balance crank,
                              -weld clutch basket
                              -get jugs bored out by ape or v and h, basiclly a place that really knows what they are doing, plus skim bare minimum the jugs so they are garentee non warped
                              -have my 79 gs1000 head ported and polished to specific cam spec, skimed same as above, maybe replace valves, but defintly replace valve springs with HD springs and seal. (needed for reliable high rpms, no sence getting crank balanced other wise)
                              -surface prep the motor for black kalgaurd paint, as talked in your yosh artical.
                              - new tsubaki cam chain

stage 2

once recoverd from the first hit get some cams the following season that the motor was built for, yeah sure the motor won't be it's best the first season, but it will defintly be better then stock with 2 more point of compresion and every thing cleaned and back in tight specs.

-get some web cams
                              -adjustable cam gears
                              -gs 750 16v high presure oil pump gears (i think they work)
                              -up grade to earl's oil cooler

keep in mind i am assuming that you would have already done a dyna s upgrade, figured what carbs with pods to use, install a manual cam chain tensioner, and used a good 4 into 1 with hi flow competion baffel (2" minimum dia) new coils, and fresh carb boots and o rings.

also depending on how crazy a cam you are going to run and how hard you are going to push this motor, you may need under bucket shims and under buckets (do a search i think it was talked about as well, maybe homgar's thread)

Maybe we should start a thread in the performance section and see if we can get a build list with prices put together, that way others can tell us what we are missing too and we know how much it will all cost.
                              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                              82 Kat 1000 Project
                              05 CRF450x
                              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Sounds like a man with a plan. If I decide to build up the GS motor, I'll probably do the same or similar once the $$$ gets saved up to get it all done at once, unless I get an early GSXR 1100 motor instead. In the mean time, the suspension mods (read: monoshock conversion) needs to get finished.

As far as cost goes, here's the prices on stage 1 and 2 of the all-out rebuild. Total for this for parts and machining would be about $3000. Plus labor for motor disassembly/reassembly. Not cheap by any means, but worth it.

Although if a 145 HP oilcooled 89-92 GSXR 1127 motor in good condition were to jump in my lap, I wouldn't rule it out as it would probably be cheaper than working up the GS motor. In that case, the GS motor would get slightly built up and go into making a GS 7/11.

-weld and balance crank - might as well lighten it as well to get the motor to spin up faster - APE charges $79 for welding, $225 for lightening and balancing
                                -weld clutch basket - ??? price not listed on APE or Falicon. Gotta find out if the APE GS1100/1150 clutch basket/hub will work on the 1000, if so, might just replace the OEM basket/hub.
                                -get jugs bored out by ape or v and h, basiclly a place that really knows what they are doing, plus skim bare minimum the jugs so they are garentee non warped - APE charges $445.20 for the 1085 Wiseco pistons, plus $110 for the overbore machine work
                                -have my 79 gs1000 head ported and polished to specific cam spec, skimed same as above, maybe replace valves, but defintly replace valve springs with HD springs and seal. (needed for reliable high rpms, no sence getting crank balanced other wise) APE charges $850 for the port and valve job, $139 for the springs
                                -surface prep the motor for black kalgaurd paint, as talked in your yosh artical. -a few hours of labor, free
                                - new tsubaki cam chain - $50.79
                                -up and down undercut of the tranny so it won't jump out of gear under load -
                                APE $528
                                - K&N pods - about $110
                                - Mikuni 29 or 33mm smoothbore carbs - $300-400, used - which size is better?
                                -Dynojet stage 3 kit - about $100
                                -Dyna S ignition - about $160
                                -Web cams - about $300
                                - GS750 oil gears - $20 used
                                -oil cooler - ????

~ 120-130 HP, torquey, reliable, street AND track worthy GS1085 - PRICELESS!!

basically this is my plan for my motor once i get done spending money on my SV.

stage 1

basically these are all the things that make sence to do since you already have your motor half way apart already, you don't want to tear back into a motor to weld the crank just cause now you have money to pay for it, what i am saying is make sure you have all the funds first so you can get it done right the first time and save yourself more money in the long run

-pull motor apart,
                                -weld and balance crank,
                                -weld clutch basket
                                -get jugs bored out by ape or v and h, basiclly a place that really knows what they are doing, plus skim bare minimum the jugs so they are garentee non warped
                                -have my 79 gs1000 head ported and polished to specific cam spec, skimed same as above, maybe replace valves, but defintly replace valve springs with HD springs and seal. (needed for reliable high rpms, no sence getting crank balanced other wise)
                                -surface prep the motor for black kalgaurd paint, as talked in your yosh artical.
                                - new tsubaki cam chain

stage 2

once recoverd from the first hit get some cams the following season that the motor was built for, yeah sure the motor won't be it's best the first season, but it will defintly be better then stock with 2 more point of compresion and every thing cleaned and back in tight specs.

-get some web cams
                                -adjustable cam gears
                                -gs 750 16v high presure oil pump gears (i think they work)
                                -up grade to earl's oil cooler

keep in mind i am assuming that you would have already done a dyna s upgrade, figured what carbs with pods to use, install a manual cam chain tensioner, and used a good 4 into 1 with hi flow competion baffel (2" minimum dia) new coils, and fresh carb boots and o rings.

also depending on how crazy a cam you are going to run and how hard you are going to push this motor, you may need under bucket shims and under buckets (do a search i think it was talked about as well, maybe homgar's thread)

Maybe we should start a thread in the performance section and see if we can get a build list with prices put together, that way others can tell us what we are missing too and we know how much it will all cost.
                                Last edited by Guest; 01-20-2007, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X