No announcement yet.

GS1000 streetfighter idea w/ picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No its only pressed alloy but very light and strong. They don't have much in the way of a cush drive as they are a racing wheel.
    The outrigger bearing is for the front sprocket, the forces involved in driving the rear wheel are also trying to pull the two sprockets together. The more you space the front sprocket out from the engine the greater the force is that is applied to the bearing on the output shaft (increased leverage). This can cause the bearing to fail, the only way around this is to provide another support on the outside of the engine IE an outrigger bearing. I will see if I can find a picture of one.

Mark...
    Last edited by Guest; 01-31-2007, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Here you go ;-)

Comment

Very interesting - ya learn something new every day.

Suppose drag racers use these to support the front sprocket when they use those huge car slicks as rear tires.

We'll see how much offset is required for this application. Will probably be useful info for your application as well.
        Last edited by Guest; 01-31-2007, 04:42 PM.

Comment

The GSXR 1000 rearset brake assembly arrived today. Also took the GSXR 1000 rear rim into the local Suzuki dealer to have the new Michelin Pilot Power 180 radial mounted and balanced.

Question for the group - do you want to see posts of the daily process and progress on this project, or would you prefer to see posts when project tasks have been completed, like when the new swingarm/rear wheel & brake assembly is all the way installed?

If you like the former, I'll keep posting frequent updates. If you like the latter, I'll keep quiet and post pics when things have been completed.

Comment

we only want to see posts accompanied by pics!!! The more the better!

Comment

Step by step, please. How else will we be sure to copy you properly? :-D
              (Hey, it's my daily read. The newpaper is too depressing.)

Comment

Quick mockup for grins to see how it looks with a monoshock swinger and a 180 radial:

Last edited by Guest; 02-02-2007, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Just keeps looking better and better, keep the posts and pics coming. Love how this is turning out. \\/

Comment

When it comes to progress posts, I can't see enough photos. Keep then coming.

I learned a while back (since I got a digital camera, anyway) that I've never thought to myself: "You know what, I took too many pictures."

Comment

Left and right side passenger peg mounts met Mr. Dremel and his associate Mr. Metal Cutting Wheel tonight. That went smoothly. Like a hot knife through butter.
                      Swingarm fits perfectly, same width at the pivot as the GS swingarm.

Need to visit a machine shop now to get a bushing so the GS pivot bolt can be used inside the GSXR swingarm.

In other news -

Very unhappy about the lying piece of crap who sold me a rear rim advertised as straight, no damage that has not one but TWO big flat spots in it. Wobbles real nice when on the bike. Ugggggghhhhhhh. ](*,)
                      Last edited by Guest; 02-03-2007, 09:31 PM.

Comment

I agree with beergood and justin caise. Progress reports and photos are greatly appreciated. "Imitation is the greatest form of flattery"
                        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Somebody stole the electricals and passenger foot peg mounts!

Last edited by Guest; 02-03-2007, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                            Somebody stole the electricals and passenger foot peg mounts!

EEEK!!!! the dreaded red X :shock: 8-[

Dink

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                              Swingarm fits perfectly, same width at the pivot as the GS swingarm.
                              Wow, this surprises me - my 04 GSXR 600 swingarm without the dust covers is just an RCH unit wider (226mm) than the GS frame (225mm), and 4mm a side bigger with the dust covers (233mm). Does your swingarm fit with the dust covers and all, or did you have to remove them? I may have to get an 06 swingarm if it does.

Comment

Originally posted by Dink View Post
                                EEEK!!!! the dreaded red X :shock: 8-[

Dink
                                Working better now? Seems that Internet Explorer is much fussier about image URLs than Firefox - ie domain.com/imagename.jpg will work in Firefox, but you have to put the "www" in front of the domain name in Internet Explorer for it to work, ie www.domain.com/imagename.jpg. Anyways, hope it's working now for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X