GS1000 streetfighter idea w/ picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
    It's a 2004 GSXR 1000 front end. You're right on the money in terms of the Spiegler handlebar/mount kit. Very nice CNC machining on that kit, and as a bonus, it came with braided steel brake lines for the front end.

The riding position is great - about the same as with the old bars as seen in the pic on page 1 of this thread.

That settles it then. I have a friend who deals Speigler stuff, and said he can gimme a solid discount. Speigler here I come! \\/
    Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

Originally posted by jonesti View Post
      Wow, your project is flying right along! Looking good. Sorry about the rear wheel. Same thing happened with my radial front master. "Perfect condition. Won't be disappointed!" Yeah, perfect minus the fact the reservior is rashed and the juntion for the line to the reservior is crushed.

Take pics of everything. Most of us on here are guys=VISUAL!!!!
      Getting burned sucks, doesn't it? Here's a pic of that "straight, no damage rim"
      :shock: :

It's about as straight as Elton John. Huge flat spot in the lip.

Guy says he'll refund my money once it shows up back at his place. We'll see....I left a nastygram in the box with the rim when I shipped it back to him today....and filed a Paypal dispute.
      Last edited by Guest; 02-07-2007, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Holy sh/t! Perfectly straight....with the help of a 5lbs hammer and dolly!

Comment

It's been a while since I was last e-screwed. What sucks the most is that the guy doing the screwing is almost always on the other side of the country, so you can't show up at his door and smack him a good one.

It would be terrible if you accidentally packed a hornets nest with it when you sent it back. Or I could give you a couple of these little things my dogs make. They can be pretty unpleasant.

It's nice to dream, isn't it?

Comment

I set the pre-sag trail at a preliminary 3.75" with the floor jack and mocked up the GSXR monoshock. The rear shock and forks should sag about 1 to 1.5" with the weight of the bike and me on it, getting the total trail to about 3.9-4.0". To put this into perspective, a current spec GSXR 1000 has a trail of about 3.9". It'll steer a LOT quicker than the GS1000 stock geometry did, but still not be twitchy, and will be stable at high speed. It should feel more planted in the corners with the front tire weight bias and the wide radial tires. And there should be plenty of ground clearance for the exhaust and for cornering. Ground clearance at the lowest part of the front of the frame is sitting at a pre-sag figure of 10" in the front. Sitting on the bike with the seat on, I'm on my tip-toes to reach the ground, which is about the same as before. I may cut down the seat in front so I can reach the ground better, and to create more of a step in the seat to lean into when accelerating.

Anyways, enough tech/mechanical engineering stuff, onto the pics! \\/

Mocked up with that steering geometry (and a stand-in Katana 600 rim with 160 tire while we wait for a new GSXR 1000 rim to arrive):

Without bodywork:

With tank and seat:

Seat, tank, and side panel:

I'm kinda leaning now toward leaving the side panels off now. It just makes the bike look harder, and the Yoshimura GS1000 didn't have side panels anyway.
            Last edited by Guest; 02-09-2007, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Day-um, for being one hell of a project, it is really turning out nice. Quite a feat of engineering.

I agree that you should lose the side panels. Once you lift a bike like that I think they ruin the line. I would either fab something that looks more in line with the new profile, or lose them entirely.

Lookin good.

Comment

Looking really nice - except for that mattress of a seat ya got there trim it down for sure!!! I'd make it stepped, with the top of the back part being level with the top of your tail.

Love seeing the progess - inspires me to try and find time to do more on mine - most of the time I can only find time to keep buying more stuff for it on E'sgay (just bought 36mm GSXR flatslides). Keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by johnnay View Post
                  Looking really nice - except for that mattress of a seat ya got there trim it down for sure!!! I'd make it stepped, with the top of the back part being level with the top of your tail.

Love seeing the progess - inspires me to try and find time to do more on mine - most of the time I can only find time to keep buying more stuff for it on E'sgay (just bought 36mm GSXR flatslides). Keep it up!
                  Great idea on the stepped seat with the back level to the tail- I'll have to Photoshop it and see how it looks. 36 mm GSXR rattlers? Nice!
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-09-2007, 03:03 AM.

Comment

You could chop your frame a little. You already lost the passenger pegs, so you probably don't need all that seat (or do you have plans for riders?). Just a thought, and you obviously have the skills to do it.

My girlfriend lamented that when I chopped mine she wouldn't be able to ride on the back (I never rode with her, so I don't know how serious she was). I countered with the offer to help find a bike of her own, or to teach her to ride the 500. I'm not going to hold my breathe on that one.

I love the aggressive stance these mods have given your bike.

Comment

the angle may be close enough that you can photoshop/cut and paste this seat on for size! :?

great project by the way, been watching a couple on the site with interest...

Comment

Originally posted by beergood View Post
                        You could chop your frame a little. You already lost the passenger pegs, so you probably don't need all that seat (or do you have plans for riders?). Just a thought, and you obviously have the skills to do it.

My girlfriend lamented that when I chopped mine she wouldn't be able to ride on the back (I never rode with her, so I don't know how serious she was). I countered with the offer to help find a bike of her own, or to teach her to ride the 500. I'm not going to hold my breathe on that one.

I love the aggressive stance these mods have given your bike.
                        No plans to have passengers - my wife has her own '82 Honda CB750C that she loves to ride.

I've toyed with the idea of chopping the subframe, but am pretty sure it's going to stay intact.

This is because the early 80's AMA superbikes including the Yoshimura GS1000 had their complete seats and subframes unmodified. I also don't want the GS1000 to lose its identity - need to to still be able to tell by looks that it's a GS1000. With such little body work on the bike (really only seat, tank, and tailpiece), and with all the other mods that have been done, I don't think it'd look like a GS1000 anymore with a bobbed tail.

I will probably shave the foam and recover the seat though to clean up its lines (too tall!) and to provide more of a step, like the Yoshi GS1000 racebike: (original: http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/patrick/p..._gs1000/clink/, NICE replica: http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/yabb/Attachments/yoshi07.jpg)

In terms of design on this project, priorities are in order: safety, performance, then looks.

Tail up in the air is mostly functional - to get the rake/trail numbers right and to to weight the front tire. It's also a hallmark of the streetfighter style IMO. It does kinda look like an animal waiting to pounce, doesn't it?
                        Last edited by Guest; 02-09-2007, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                          I set the pre-sag trail at a preliminary 3.75" with the floor jack and mocked up the GSXR monoshock. The rear shock and forks should sag about 1 to 1.5" with the weight of the bike and me on it, getting the total trail to about 3.9-4.0". To put this into perspective, a current spec GSXR 1000 has a trail of about 3.9".
                          Where are you getting your information about setting up the geometry? I'm moving a little slower than you on my bike, and haven't researched this yet. Any online resources you can recommend?[-o<

Comment

Originally posted by johnnay View Post
                            Where are you getting your information about setting up the geometry? I'm moving a little slower than you on my bike, and haven't researched this yet. Any online resources you can recommend?[-o<
                            Google's been a good resource.

In particular, these have been good articles:

Performance Oil Technology is your source for all things AMSOIL. Become a preferred customer today and save 25%
                            Last edited by Guest; 02-10-2007, 03:12 AM.

Comment

10 inches of clearance in the front = a very high center of gravity = bad handling. It's going to take some experimentation to get the combination of factors right - ground clearance, rake/trail, center of gravity, chain clearance, swingarm geometry etc etc.

That and the fuel valve is in the back of the tank - with it tilted that far forward, you'd run out of gas sooner unless the tank were modded.
                              Last edited by Guest; 02-10-2007, 01:42 AM.

Comment

Great looking 1100! Specs?

Originally posted by solo suzuki View Post

Last edited by Guest; 02-10-2007, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X