Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2Fast4U View Post
    Go here: http://www.afam.co.jp/E/index2.htm
    my sprocket was $45 with shipping from Japan to So Cal.
    The guys are really nice to deal with.
    Wow, that's comparably cheap. Did you order over the phone? How's their English?

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
      Wow, that's comparably cheap. Did you order over the phone? How's their English?
      I sent them a email with my address and what I wanted.
      And they replied to me the next day with a price and
      how to pay, the emails were in English.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Fast4U View Post
        I sent them a email with my address and what I wanted.
        And they replied to me the next day with a price and
        how to pay, the emails were in English.
        Good to know, might wind up using one of those sprockets if the spacers don't work out. Thanks for that!

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
          The amount of available threads is a concern for sure. We'll have to see if it works out once the parts arrive. Need about 2-3 exposed threads for security. If it doesn't work out, probably will wind up getting an offset front sprocket. Going for the least expensive solution initially - those offset front sprockets are $100+.

Another concern was making sure the steering stem was aligned with the center of the rear tire due to the difference in wheel spacers/rim diameter/swingarm width on the bike. Don't want a bike that pulls to once side or the other. Fortunately, it's dead center, so it'll track straight.
          If you don't mind, let me know when you get the sprockets... I'm planning the same, but like you, I don't want to break the bank for parts i can't use.

Cheers.

Comment

PJ, nice find on the geometry calc. site. That could really come in handy!

Comment

Originally posted by jonesti View Post
              PJ, nice find on the geometry calc. site. That could really come in handy!
              For sure! It really helps to dial in your geometry. Using that website on a laptop in the garage plus a floor jack and protractor/inclinometer mounted to the headstock(the ones with a magnetic base are awesome for this purpose), you can tell with precision what your geometry numbers will be. Just gotta accurately measure all the other dimensions first. I was raising and lowering the bike with the jack till the headstock angle was in the sweet spot to get the rake/trail numbers right. It's sitting at 3.6" of trail right now, I may try to get it to between 3.8 to 4.0" when it's all said and done for more stability.

That site will probably help you when you get those new Kawi shocks.
              Last edited by Guest; 02-14-2007, 06:48 PM.

Comment

I like the second pic, but maybe cause mine is similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
                  I like the second pic, but maybe cause mine is similar.
                  Which pic are you talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by justin caise View Post

Please don't go too crazy tho- this next one looks a bit much, I think.

This one............

Comment

Sounds like you need one of these....It really helps out!

Comment

Heheh, it's been in the low 40s in the garage lately which is tolerable with work gloves on - but a space heater sure would be nice.

Originally posted by jonesti View Post
                        Sounds like you need one of these....It really helps out!

Comment

While we're waiting for parts to come back from the machine shop, a few odds and ends need to be taken care of. Spent most of the day today grinding/filing smooth the remaining welds where the passenger pegs and battery box used to be. Mmmm, sparks.

Also couldn't believe my eyes when I opened up a package containing a genuine Yoshimura GS1000 exhaust in excellent condition shown below, courtesy of our own Tom MLC. Many thanks, Tom. \\/

Also (finally) managed to get the front sprocket nut to budge. Took a lot of persuading from a 1/2" electric impact wrench.

Got a few more loose ends to tie up like making an electrical board and a battery box to be mounted inside the tailpiece for this battery, better get back to the garage.

Last edited by Guest; 02-17-2007, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Got a few more loose ends to tie up like making an electrical board and a battery box to be mounted inside the tailpiece for this battery, better get back to the garage.[/quote]

I'm thinking about doing the same thing, and losing the side plates. I look forward to seeing how yours comes out.

Comment

As a contingency plan, just ordered a 5/8" offset 520 pitch 17 tooth front sprocket in case spacing out the GSXR 1000 520 front sprocket won't work when it arrives. Putting spacers behind the stock 630 front sprocket to offset it 13.5 mm had me concerned about the amount of leftover threading for the front sprocket nut. Only about 3 threads were left and the 520 front sprocket will only gain us about 2 mm of extra threading. The sprocket was hanging pretty far off the spline so that was another concern. Wouldn't want it to come loose under load.

Price for the new custom sprocket was reasonable at $50, should take about 2 to 3 weeks to arrive. I'll post the number for the shop that's doing it if anyone's interested.

Turns out the Odyssey battery fits the stock battery box like a glove, except it's about 1.5" shorter than the stock battery. Much lighter too at only 5.9 pounds. Now just gotta figure out where to place it and the electrical board.
                              Last edited by Guest; 02-22-2007, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Do you know if the pc310 has enough oomph for a big GS? I got a 535 but it would be nice to go smaller...

Comment

Working...
                                X