GS1000 streetfighter idea w/ picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnnay View Post
    Do you know if the pc310 has enough oomph for a big GS? I got a 535 but it would be nice to go smaller...
    Should be, we'll see. The stock battery for the GS is rated at 12 amp hours, the PC310 is rated at 8. It doesn't have the reserve of a bigger battery, but it is much lighter and can be mounted in any direction except inverted which is a huge plus in this application. The cranking amp output on the PC310 is pretty incredible for its size, which is the most crucial aspect as starting the engine is the battery's most important job. The GS1000 racebikes didn't even have a battery to save weight - bump start only.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-23-2007, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Yeah, my 535 is an odyssey as well, so it'll mount on its side too. bigger than the 310, but I should still (hopefully) be able to hide it up under the seat somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
        As a contingency plan, just ordered a 5/8" offset 520 pitch 17 tooth front sprocket in case spacing out the GSXR 1000 520 front sprocket won't work when it arrives. Putting spacers behind the stock 630 front sprocket to offset it 13.5 mm had me concerned about the amount of leftover threading for the front sprocket nut. Only about 3 threads were left and the 520 front sprocket will only gain us about 2 mm of extra threading. The sprocket was hanging pretty far off the spline so that was another concern. Wouldn't want it to come loose under load.

Price for the new custom sprocket was reasonable at $50, should take about 2 to 3 weeks to arrive. I'll post the number for the shop that's doing it if anyone's interested.

Turns out the Odyssey battery fits the stock battery box like a glove, except it's about 1.5" shorter than the stock battery. Much lighter too at only 5.9 pounds. Now just gotta figure out where to place it and the electrical board.
        Curious where you got the front sprocket, as i've only seen 530 sprockets. I'd rather go with the 520, just for the width/weight advantages.

Comment

Originally posted by Druro View Post
          Curious where you got the front sprocket, as i've only seen 530 sprockets. I'd rather go with the 520, just for the width/weight advantages.
          Randy at Advanced Precision in Oregon can help you out with any oddball custom sprocket requests like the one I had . His phone number is 888-347-7262

Comment

Randy at Advanced Precision in Oregon can help you out with any oddball custom sprocket requests like the one I had . His phone number is 888-347-7262
            Thanks mate

Comment

Round #1 of parts for mounting the GSXR swingarm to the GS frame are back from the machine shop. Very nice CNC machining of 440 stainless to make these parts from specs I provided. 10 bonus points if you can guess what they are for. (hint: the larger parts are identical)

Last edited by Guest; 03-03-2007, 03:32 AM.

Comment

Round #1 of parts for mounting the GSXR swingarm to the GS frame are back from the machine shop. Very nice CNC machining of 440 stainless to make these parts from specs I provided. 10 bonus points if you can guess what they are for. (hint: the larger parts are identical)
                ummm... to fit a very nice swingarm?

The more i watch you sort that out, and especially fit that swingarm, the more i'd like to do the same to my bike.

Comment

Bushings so that you can use your stock swing arm pivot bolt??? Smaller piece...have no idea....
                  Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

A very , very nice machine.
                    I too would leave the bike as it is....full of character.
                    Modifying it , I think, would turn it into a collection of assorted "spare" parts.
                    BUT...what do I know? I turned a GS850 into a trike.
                    Pics on request.
                    Regards to all.
                    Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius086 View Post
                      Bushings so that you can use your stock swing arm pivot bolt??? Smaller piece...have no idea....
                      Right on the money about the two larger bushings are so that we can use the stock swingarm pivot bolt. They are replacements for part 1 below. The smaller one is a replacement for the spacer inside the lower shock linkage pivot shown below next to the number 2. That stock spacer has a inner diameter of 12 mm; I needed a copy of it made with an ID of 10 mm to help mount the lower shock pivot.

Last edited by Guest; 03-03-2007, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Bohane View Post
                        A very , very nice machine.
                        I too would leave the bike as it is....full of character.
                        Modifying it , I think, would turn it into a collection of assorted "spare" parts.
                        BUT...what do I know? I turned a GS850 into a trike.
                        Pics on request.
                        Regards to all.
                        Chris
                        I'd love to see a pic of a GS850 trike. :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Druro View Post
                          ummm... to fit a very nice swingarm?

The more i watch you sort that out, and especially fit that swingarm, the more i'd like to do the same to my bike.
                          Hehe, and you even have me to guinea pig these mods for you before you even begin.

Comment

You might wanna be careful with the spacing. I had to offset the center hole in the spacer so that the swingarm would clear the rear of the motor. Mine is offset and it is still pretty tight. Hope it works out for ya tho.

Comment

Originally posted by runrx02 View Post
                              You might wanna be careful with the spacing. I had to offset the center hole in the spacer so that the swingarm would clear the rear of the motor. Mine is offset and it is still pretty tight. Hope it works out for ya tho.
                              Which swingarm were you trying to fit to which bike? I eyeballed swingarm to engine clearance at about 5-10 mm, so that part should be OK.

I remember your photo here:

Last edited by Guest; 03-03-2007, 08:15 PM.

Comment

04 gsxr750 arm on a 79 gs1000. Like i said, i hope it works but i had to offset the hole on mine. Perhaps your arm has different dimensions @ the pivot point

Comment

Working...
                                X