GS1000 streetfighter idea w/ picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
    It looks like runrx02 is pretty much done with his mono mounts installation - is there anything left to do?
    Suspension is finished. Just waiting on funds to get the motor done. Unfortunately it looks like my stash is going towards a new-to-me car, b\c my other one just gave up on me.

Comment

Originally posted by runrx02 View Post
      Suspension is finished. Just waiting on funds to get the motor done. Unfortunately it looks like my stash is going towards a new-to-me car, b\c my other one just gave up on me.
      What kind of car did you get, and which one died on you?

Comment

I had a 99 chevy lumina, popped a head gasket or cracked head (didnt really care to find out which) @ 159k. Still looking around for a replacement.

Comment

Found some GREAT photos over on OSS of rear subframe bracing.

Using this methodology, it should be easy able to drill/tap 4 mounting holes for the top monoshock mount in the flat bar by the engine mounts and then just bolt on the upper part of the monoshock with the GSXR 750 mono mount bracket:

Time to go score some steel bars and tubing...and find a pro welder with a portable TIG welder who'll make a house call.
          Last edited by Guest; 03-08-2007, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post

As for the top shock mount, I picked up the top shock mounting bracket from a '92 GSXR 750:

The top mounting hole in the '06 Gixxer thou shock fits almost perfectly in this bracket, only needs a couple of thin washers as shims for the horizontal mounting bolt. I'll drill and tap 4 bolt mounting holes in a 1" thick piece of steel plate and then weld it to the frame.
            Somehow I missed this post - Aiyaiyai!! 1" thick steel will weigh a ton - those mount tabs are only 1/4" thick, and remember that aluminum has to be thicker than steel for the same strength - you only need a much lighter gauge rectangular tube for your crosspiece, or maybe 1/4" plate steel if you want to go overboard. that would be plenty strong enough, without larding up your bike.. 8-[

One of the reasons of doing the swap is to make the bike lighter, no??

Comment

FYI - in those bracing pics, the crosspiece is probably 1"x3" rectangular tube - 1/8" thick walls at most, is my guess. It's not solid steel..:shock:

also, in my reading (can't remember where - maybe the aussie streetfighters site), one guy spoke of a very knowledgeable and succesful race team discovering that the GS frame was plenty stout enough without any bracing - it was the swingarm that was the problem on these bikes. YMMV, but food for thought at least.

In the end, soldier on as you please, 80GS - it's all good.\\/

Comment

Originally posted by johnnay View Post
                Somehow I missed this post - Aiyaiyai!! 1" thick steel will weigh a ton - those mount tabs are only 1/4" thick, and remember that aluminum has to be thicker than steel for the same strength - you only need a much lighter gauge rectangular tube for your crosspiece, or maybe 1/4" plate steel if you want to go overboard. that would be plenty strong enough, without larding up your bike..

One of the reasons of doing the swap is to make the bike lighter, no??

Good point. I was basing the 1" steel plate on the fact that the '92 GSXR 750 upper mono mount bolts are 40 mm long each - but you bring up the important fact that aluminum has to be thicker for the same strength compared to steel, and the GSXR 750 frame is in fact a big soda can. Suppose you could just get a higher tensile strength but thinner like 1/4 or 1/2" piece of steel plate for strength. And then use 10.9 bolts to bolt on the mono mount bracket.

Overboard is my middle name. Safety first, right? The GS engine is bulletproof and overengineered and so should be any frame mods IMHO.

Now I REALLY wish I didn't have to go out of town for two weeks for work starting next week. :P
                Last edited by Guest; 03-08-2007, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Good technical discussion on fabricating GS monoshock mounts over on OSS here. :-D
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-11-2007, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Sorry for no recent updates, I was in Chicago last week for work, and I'm leaving for the airport to go to Dallas for work for another week in less than an hour.

Had some fun in Chicago for sure after work, got to go hear some real Chicago blues at Buddy Guy's Legends club one night along with spareribs, collard greens, and tasty microbrews:

Randy from Advanced Precision came through while I was gone with some a very nice CNC machined 520 pitch, 17 tooth, 5/8" offset case hardened sprocket for the GS1000.

Left to right: Sunstar 15 tooth 630 sprocket, AP custom made 520 sprocket, Vortex 520 GSXR 1000 sprocket.

We'll see in a week or so when I get back into town if this is enough offset.

I learned by experimentation that you can't put enough spacers behind a GSXR 1000 520 sprocket to offset it enough and keep some spline on the output shaft, so that method is a no-go.
                    Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2007, 04:52 PM.

Comment

what ratio are you going with, 17/45? - that's what I'm going with, although I went the AFAM 530 route. Also how many links of chain are you buying (although I guess it would be different for 520 from 530, wouldn't it)?

Comment

i'm using 17/45 AFAM 530 on mine
                        but have gone up(down!) to 49 at one point with an gsx-R 1100 swingarm 124 links at the time...120 links should be more than enough, less if you're using a 750 arm

Comment

Originally posted by johnnay View Post
                          what ratio are you going with, 17/45? - that's what I'm going with, although I went the AFAM 530 route. Also how many links of chain are you buying (although I guess it would be different for 520 from 530, wouldn't it)?
                          17/48, for a final drive ratio of 2.82, which is pretty darn close to the stock ratio of 2.8. The pitch on a 520 and 530 is the same at 5/8". (http://www.gizmology.net/sprockets.htm) The 17/48 sprox are about the same diameter as the stock 630 sprox, so that'll help keep the chain from hitting the swingarm pivot.

IIRC, the chain I bought was 120 links, I'll have to check when I get back into town.
                          Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2007, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Oops, I lied - I went with 16/45, which is pretty much the same ratio as stock as well - 2.81. Considered the 17/45, but I like that rush of acceleration.. :-D

Comment

Here's my bike. 1980 Suzuki GS 1100 E, slightly modified.
                              Last edited by Guest; 03-24-2007, 01:25 PM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

Nice clean bike, Hector. If you can stand some constructive criticism, I'd lose the chrome trim on the tank & tail, and the red oil cap... those items distract the eye from the beautiful lines of the bike, IMHO. I really like the sanded fins on the black engine - am planning the same thing for mine. The ignition on the side cover also crossed my mind - does your leg ever rub it or anything?

Comment

Working...
                                X