No announcement yet.

GS1000 streetfighter idea w/ picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

phew - I didn't think I was going to have to muck with modding the carrier and you had me worried. :shock:

Hopefully I'll get out to the garage on Friday night after the kids are in bed. (Canucks play on Thursday so of course that night's a write-off!!).

Comment

Very curious to see if your 5.5" rim makes lining up the chain any easier for you since we now know the sprocket carriers between the 600/750/1000 are the same dimensions.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-29-2007, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Just dawned on me that I need to measure and check front/rear wheel alignment before mucking with the sprocket carrier and wheel spacers since they're all part of an interconnected system in terms of dimensions. Once I get the front and rear wheel aligned and in the same plane, the spacer dimensions and amount the sprocket carrier needs to be milled should fall into place. The chain's gotta line up and the bike can't pull to one direction or the other.

Some good info on motorcycle wheel alignment here: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

Comment

not sure if it's usefull but i've used a 5.5 from a '92 gsx-R with the carrier from the GS on my '82 GS no problem
          i've also used a shaved carrier but ended up having to 'shave' the edge on some make of tires ie: metz 180 but not some of the other makes!

been using that set up since 1994 so...works for me but i know i couldn't run a 6in if i want the sprockets to line up and to clear the frame without modifying

Comment

Solo-

Love that 1100. :-D Thanks for the info.

Are you using the stock 1100 swingarm, or something newer?

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
              Solo-

Love that 1100. :-D Thanks for the info.

Are you using the stock 1100 swingarm, or something newer?
              thanks,
              the swingarm is off the same donor gsx-R 1100. it stretched the wheelbase about 3in. and stabilized the bike a bit, at least to 200kph
              you could fit the 180 in the stock aluminum swingarm (something i may end up doing with the Kat) but i like the look on the Big GS

Comment

Originally posted by solo suzuki View Post
                thanks,
                the swingarm is off the same donor gsx-R 1100. it stretched the wheelbase about 3in. and stabilized the bike a bit, at least to 200kph
                you could fit the 180 in the stock aluminum swingarm (something i may end up doing with the Kat) but i like the look on the Big GS
                Did you use the wheel and sprocket carrier spacers from the the GSXR 1100, and how'd you check that the rear wheel lined up with the front? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                  Did you use the wheel and sprocket carrier spacers from the the GSXR 1100, and how'd you check that the rear wheel lined up with the front? Thanks.
                  can't remember what the combination was except for the GS carrier into the 5.5 wheel('90 to '92 at least). i do remember that the earlier gsx-R 4.5in wheel was different. the caliper/brake side was again a combo of GS/gsx-R parts. sorry, but it was 13 years ago

Comment

Shifter rearset bracket made

The bike was trailered over to a welding/fab shop last Sunday to have some parts made up, and to have the frame bracing and monoshock mounts fabbed up and welded to the frame.

Tonight we made a rearset bracket out of 1/4" aluminum plate for the GSXR shifter to mount it on the GS frame. The bottom two bolts bolt up into the stock footpeg mounting holes. It works really well and looks pretty good too IMO. :-D

Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2007, 02:50 AM.

Comment

Really coming along nicely now, good work!!

Comment

Originally posted by drhermanstein View Post
                        Really coming along nicely now, good work!!
                        Thanks, we're in the home stretch now. Another week or so and hopefully the monoshock mounts will be welded in and the bike will be a roller again. :-D
                        Also need to have a steering dampener bracket, exhaust hanger bracket, instrument bracket, and new battery/electrical mounts made up. The paint on the back half of the frame is missing in a few spots from Mr. Grinder taking off a lot of the stock tabs, so it needs to be repainted.

Then it's wheel and chain alignment time, hook up all the electrical/fuel gear, and hit the start button. Hopefully it'll start back up the first time I try...

As for body paint, I can't make my mind between blue/white Yoshimura replica, red/white Yoshimura replica, or just repainting in the stock ruby red, all of which are good looking color combos. What do you guys think?

The tank and tailpiece are both very sunfaded on top - whoever owned this bike before me left it outside for a good portion of its life.

Gotta have this thing done before the Yosemite GSR rally in July, but ASAP would be even better.
                        Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2007, 08:58 PM.

Comment

me i would just shine it up nice and ride the thing for a season
                          have fun with it, get all the bugs worked out...
                          paint will be a nice 'winter project'
                          all your paint suggestions are winners!

Comment

Originally posted by solo suzuki View Post
                            me i would just shine it up nice and ride the thing for a season
                            have fun with it, get all the bugs worked out...
                            paint will be a nice 'winter project'
                            all your paint suggestions are winners!
                            True enough about the paint, don't have to do that right now.

Have you decided what to do with your 1100 yet? That's a sweet ride for sure - if you sell it, hopefully the buyer will appreciate all the work you put into it.

Comment

I'm with Solo here. Get it working right, before you put all the time into prep and paint. You DON"T want to have to go back and weld some other bracket over your freshly painted frame. Don't ask how I know this, just Trust me....

Comment

Good advice regarding frame paint - I'll keep that in mind for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X