No announcement yet.

GS1000 streetfighter idea w/ picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, after reviewing a couple of photos, I decided that the design of the lower shock mount needed to be revisited, so we tore out the old design and fabbed up a new one.

Most importantly, the way I had the linkage and shock mounted didn't allow for sufficient travel in the linkage, which resulted in the swingarm trying to tear the tabs out of the frame without transmitting that force into the shock. Plus, I didn't like how much force was going to be exerted on two unbraced tabs that were welded only at two relatively small points, so that needed to be addressed.

This is the linkage and shock from a stock GSXR, note the position of the dogbone bolt relative to the shock bolt.

Now look how I had mine mounted.

Big, possibly disastrous difference.

So we fixed it. New frame crossmember tacked onto the centerstand crossmember, and two fat tabs made from 1/2" square tubing, welded in solid to a piece of rectangular tubing.

and then tack welded to the frame to be further braced, painted and prettied up next time

The suspension now works and is mounted in the way that those very smart Suzuki mechanical engineers intended.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2007, 12:06 PM.

Comment

I think blue/white Yoshimura wins in terms of paintjobs - it looks the business and honors this bike's racing past too. What do you think?

Comment

Heh I like that line "like those very smart engineers intended".

Oh and yes the blue and white is stunning and would be very nice on that bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Commodus View Post
          Heh I like that line "like those very smart engineers intended".
          Well, you know, everything except for the part about grafting it onto a GS1000.

Comment

Blue and white "S" scheme.

DO IT!:-D

Comment

A bit more progress on the lower monoshock mount. Just need to finish tapering the lower right corner of the mount, shorten the shock tabs, then smooth out the weld up that holds it to the frame tube, and paint to finish it off. A bit of Simple Green and a rag might be helpful to get some of that 20+ years worth of road grime off in the surrounding area too.

Comment

Glad to see it coming along.
                I have to mention that those bars look incorreect for the bike though.
                They point upward at the ends. That would be uncomfortable and make it harder to exert your weight on them for handling purposes.
                They look like they go with/fit bikes that have you lean down towards the tank. Actually, they look like they're designed to be rotated 90 degrees or more so the ends are pointed downward/back and then mounted/tightened.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                  Glad to see it coming along.
                  I have to mention that those bars look incorreect for the bike though.
                  They point upward at the ends. That would be uncomfortable and make it harder to exert your weight on them for handling purposes.
                  They look like they go with/fit bikes that have you lean down towards the tank. Actually, they look like they're designed to be rotated 90 degrees or more so the ends are pointed downward/back and then mounted/tightened.
                  You're right, thanks for pointing that out. Here's some pics of those bars and the LSL handlebar riser kit mounted on a newer Suzuki. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...4&postcount=54
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2007, 12:58 PM.

Comment

You know what would look cool for paint...Take the yosh scheme, and flip it. Paint the bike blue, with white accents. At least to me...that would look cool. I'm not a big fan of white on motorcycles though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H View Post
                      You know what would look cool for paint...Take the yosh scheme, and flip it. Paint the bike blue, with white accents. At least to me...that would look cool. I'm not a big fan of white on motorcycles though.
                      So blue on the sides, white on top? Interesting...

Comment

Yeah, would kinda give it a hot rod feel...Like a SS chevelle w/ racing stripes. You don't want to copy that scheme, cuz that would be dorky. Ultimately a Hot-Rod is what you've built. Classic muscle, with modern running gear. Your just happens to be a motorcycle.

Comment

if you need the yoshimura decal file (the one you see on my bike) let me know. It's a illustrator file so it can be scaled to what ever size you need, and be emailed to a sticker shop for them to print. let me know if you need help with it.

-ryan
                          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                          82 Kat 1000 Project
                          05 CRF450x
                          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H View Post
                            Yeah, would kinda give it a hot rod feel...Like a SS chevelle w/ racing stripes. You don't want to copy that scheme, cuz that would be dorky. Ultimately a Hot-Rod is what you've built. Classic muscle, with modern running gear. Your just happens to be a motorcycle.
                            For sure, that'd look great. Take a sportbike from any era, hop up the engine/looks/handling and weight savings as far as you can, and you've got yourself a streetfighter IMO. They're the hotrods of the streetbike world. So we've still got a ways to go, need to rebuild the engine next at about 35k miles for more performance (1085 kit, ported head etc).

Originally posted by first timer
                            if you need the yoshimura decal file (the one you see on my bike) let me know. It's a illustrator file so it can be scaled to what ever size you need, and be emailed to a sticker shop for them to print. let me know if you need help with it.
                            -ryan
                            Thanks for the offer, I'll take you up on that.

Once I get the mechanical bugs worked out, I'm going to take it to the local roadrace track for a recreational track day- curious to see if anyone knows what kind of bike this is, in a sea of GSXRs, R1s, R6s, CBR-RRs etc.

The GS1000 stock motor makes more peak torque at lower RPMs than the new GSXR 600 and 750s, so I should be able to have the upper hand on accelerating to 120/130 or so, if the straights are any longer then they'll have the upper hand since they have more peak HP. The modern liter class bikes will run laps around the GS1000, no doubt. Very curious to see how this newschool GSXR running gear will allow this bike to take corners steadier and faster than before - more contact patch and better rubber and all. Just from wheeling the bike around the driveway you can tell that the new brakes are miles ahead of the stock brakes.

This is the track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LHAdpW5WmY&mode=user&search=
                            Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2007, 03:01 AM.

Comment

Quick update-

The rear monoshock mount/frame bracing fabrication and welding is DONE. Whew. That was by far the hardest part of this project so far. Now they just need paint.

For giggles and grins, I measured wet weight with the tank, seat, exhaust, and battery on the bike. 450 pounds, with a full tank of gas and the oil filled up. Woohoo! Almost 90 pounds lighter than the stock wet weight of 536 pounds, and on par with the wet weight of a modern GSXR 1000.

Now we're onto mounting the exhaust. A new bracket will need to be made to hang it, sportbike style. The Yoshimura GS1000 exhaust I got from our own Tom MLC unfortunately didn't work as it hit the lower monoshock pivot. Ah well, the V&H will work just fine, maybe we'll paint it black.

Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2007, 01:43 AM.

Comment

v&h pipe

what kind of v&h pipe is it?

Comment

Working...
                                X