GS1000 streetfighter idea w/ picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cassius086 View Post
    Yeah, front and rear gsxr rims, brakes and forks are all mounted up. I will try to get some digital pics this weekend, and I need to open an account with photobucket so I can post pics....

I used Duplicor black bed liner spray for the rims and the swing arm and the lower fork legs. The textured 'semi gloss' looks awesome, in my opinion!! \\/ Did some polishing on the aluminum case covers, and repainted the valve cover "cast coat aluminum"--very close to the original engine color!!

The bike looks kinda cafe up front with the clip-ons and that 8" freight train headlight. Had to fab some brackets for the ignition and the gauge cluster, but all the other stuff was bolt on, with the exception of juggling some wheel spacers on the rear. I am sure the racetech'ed gixxer front end is going to reveal the weakness of the rear shocks... so Vipex, or custom Moto CD (a friend's business) shocks will be in order. I also think I might get some Votex clip ons with 1 1/4" risers. Doing a 530 conversion...will be done with that this weekend, and will be installing pads and bleeding the brakes thursday.
    So what year/model of Gixxers did you get your gear from?

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
      YJ-

I've had a pic of your Yosh replica as my computer wallpaper for about 6 months now - love that bike, and it's been a huge inspiration to do mine up. :-D

(http://forum.oldskoolsuzuki.info/yab...b-article3.jpg)

How much clearance do you have under the lowest part of your header? I agree the V&H 4 into 1 isn't well suited to this application. I'd love to wind up with a 4 into 2 into 1 with a Yoshi canister on the end.
      Hey PJ, will measure tomorrow as I am hoping the new seat will turn up and I can do a few bits of jobs since bringing it home from work....
      YJ

Comment

Originally posted by YoshiJohnny View Post
        Hey PJ, will measure tomorrow as I am hoping the new seat will turn up and I can do a few bits of jobs since bringing it home from work....
        YJ
        What new seat are you getting?

Comment

Hey PJ,

getting a brand new aftermarket one. Cut down "Eddie Lawson" style, should finish it all off nicely. Only been waiting 8 weeks for it to be made!!! Costing about $200 US with post but fed up trying to find a good second hand one, could have cut down the std seat, like I did with my first GS way back when....... but thought I would treat myself for my birthday. Will get some pics when it's done.

YJ
          :-D

Comment

So what year/model of Gixxers did you get your gear from?

Rims are '87, forks, triples and brakes are '88 1100. Was worried about ground clearance after hearing stuff here, but looks ok to me!
            Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

Rims are '87, forks, triples and brakes are '88 1100. Was worried about ground clearance after hearing stuff here, but looks ok to me!
              Sounds the early Gixxer 1100 forks are about the same length as the GS stuff? The newer Gixxer 1000 forks are much shorter. Glad it worked out for you. I'm curious how much weight you dropped with your mods too.[/quote]

Originally posted by YoshiJohnny
              Hey PJ,

getting a brand new aftermarket one. Cut down "Eddie Lawson" style, should finish it all off nicely. Only been waiting 8 weeks for it to be made!!! Costing about $200 US with post but fed up trying to find a good second hand one, could have cut down the std seat, like I did with my first GS way back when....... but thought I would treat myself for my birthday. Will get some pics when it's done.

YJ
              That seat sounds great, looking forward to seeing it. :-D

What did the clearance under your header measure out to?

Comment

Dropped about 1 in. or a touch more up front, but rear was almost the exact same, despite the difference in rims size, due to different tire profile (130/90-19 vs. 160/60-18 ). Woohoo!! Radial tires!
                Last edited by Cassius086; 05-09-2007, 04:40 PM.
                Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

Dropped about 1 in. or a touch more up front, but rear was almost the exact same, despite the difference in rims size, due to different tire profile (130/90-19 vs. 160/60-18). Woohoo!! Radial tires!
                  Congrats, your handling and braking should greatly improve. Now that you're on radials you'll have a nice selection of tires too.

Comment

Yeah, I can't wiat to get it all buttoned up! Mounting the brakes and new pads, and a new battery tomorrow. Hopefully, if all goes well, I'll be able to finish the bracket for the ignition and the gauges, too.
                    Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

Hi PJ,

Seat didn't arrive again!!!!

Got dragged out shopping after work and it's all dark out there now.
                      I remember measuring the height of the frame lower cradle before and after and there was only half an inch difference (lower) after the mods. Main thing is to get everything like footrests up and out of the way, which you are doing. The exhaust headers are tucked inside the "triangle" of lean but the end pipe is too flat and needs tucking in. Sleeping policemen are not a problem though I do go over them quick to hoik the front up a little hee hee!!

Will measure tomorrow.....hopefully

YJ

Comment

YJ-

The lowest part of the frame is 8" from the ground right now - is that about the same as yours?

Thanks!

Comment

YJ-

The lowest part of the frame is 8" from the ground right now - is that about the same as yours?

Thanks!
                          Sorry PJ just seen this......

It's been ****ing down for the last week or so constantly here and the bike is safely tucked under wraps until I get warmed up a bit..!!
                          My new seat has arrived and I will get it fitted and some measurements done after I have run the kids to the dentist.... ahhhhhhh the joys of being a parent!!

Later dude

Comment

Originally posted by YoshiJohnny View Post
                            Sorry PJ just seen this......

It's been ****ing down for the last week or so constantly here and the bike is safely tucked under wraps until I get warmed up a bit..!!
                            My new seat has arrived and I will get it fitted and some measurements done after I have run the kids to the dentist.... ahhhhhhh the joys of being a parent!!

Later dude

How's that new seat look?

Comment

Help!!! I finally picked up a 04 gsxr 1000 front end off ebay. One of the outer tubes has a dent right at the fork seal dust cover. I pried the cover off and found no damage to the inner tube. I was figuring that i could fix the dent by knocking it back out but a friend of mine says that I am better off replacing the tube because the dent may have knocked the tube out of round and the fork seal will not seal properly if thats the case.....any suggestions?

Comment

Yeah, I don't know if it's repairable or not, but it seems like you should be able to get your money back from the eBay seller?

If you can't get a refund, you'll probably just as well replace the dented fork tube as the seals do require a precision fit, and you wouldn't want it to start leaking, plus it's already been weakened from being dented.
                                Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2007, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X