No announcement yet.

GS1000 streetfighter idea w/ picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great........anyone out there have a spare used tube?

Comment

Hey PJ, sorry for the delay again..... went for a blast to get the bike MOT'd (roadworthy test) today and it sailed thru, got 8.5 inches frame rail to floor when upright and off the stands etc (no weight on it).
      Seat was worth the wait and I will get some pics taken soon as the weather improves....I got drenched today!!!
      Still grinning....it ****ing ROCKS and draws a crowd everywhere!!!!!

Cheers
      YJ

:-D

Comment

Originally posted by YoshiJohnny View Post
        Hey PJ, sorry for the delay again..... went for a blast to get the bike MOT'd (roadworthy test) today and it sailed thru, got 8.5 inches frame rail to floor when upright and off the stands etc (no weight on it).
        Seat was worth the wait and I will get some pics taken soon as the weather improves....I got drenched today!!!
        Still grinning....it ****ing ROCKS and draws a crowd everywhere!!!!!

Cheers
        YJ

:-D
        Congrats on passing the test.

Thanks for the ground clearance number, maybe I'll get some 1/2" raising links/dogbones to put mine at 8.5" too and then the bike will never ground out. \\/ Then the bike can use the Yoshimura GS1000 exhaust too.

Still want to see some new pics of your bike, mate. Sounds even better than before.

Bike's back from the welding shop and the newly fabbed metals' been painted, so it's onto final assembly. \\/

Just spent 10 hours today working on wiring etc. Lots of splicing and extending to get the electronics board and battery wired up in their new locations.

PJ
        Last edited by Guest; 05-19-2007, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Great to hear it's coming on..........
          weighed on the machine that the man used to test the brakes as well

214kg fully wet (that's 470.8 lbs in old money)

Thats 14kg more than a GSXR1000 K6 and quite a bit less than when I started out!!

YJ

Comment

Originally posted by YoshiJohnny View Post
            Great to hear it's coming on..........
            weighed on the machine that the man used to test the brakes as well

214kg fully wet (that's 470.8 lbs in old money)

Thats 14kg more than a GSXR1000 K6 and quite a bit less than when I started out!!

YJ
            Nice job on cutting weight - the new Gixxer running gear is much lighter, eh? Between the new running gear, the weight savings, and the new steering geometry, must be heaps easier to toss into corners?

Spent a few more hours today spent getting the electrickery sorted. First time 'round after reconnecting all the wires, bolted the + and - cables to the battery, turned the ignition key hoping to see the headlight come on, nothing. Charged up the battery on the trickle charger, put a 4 mm washer between the + and - cable terminals and the battery terminals to make better contact with the terminals. Turned the key and SHAZAM!, all the lights came on, including the instrument panel. I even blipped the starter button and the starter motor ran for a split second.

Next step is to reinstall the carbs/exhaust and hear the beast run again. \\/
            Last edited by Guest; 05-21-2007, 02:47 AM.

Comment

You're on the homestrech!! well done I wish I was as comitted.
              Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2007, 11:57 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                Next step is to reinstall the carbs/exhaust and hear the beast run again. \\/
                Great job! Looks like you will be ready for July?
                85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by drhermanstein View Post
                  You're on the homestrech!! well done I wish I was as comitted.
                  Thanks, I should probably be committed by now, as in an institution.

Originally posted by renobruce
                  Great job! Looks like you will be ready for July?
                  Thanks, with some more work it'll be ready to ride by then.

The to-do list:

Finish up wiring and install electronic speedometer.

Reinstall carbs and exhaust, get carb jetting right for pods. From other GSR members' experience, this may be a PITA. Possibly paint V&H header black.

Get chain alignment right. I've been playing with cutting down the GSXR cush drive rubbers to bring the chain inwards a bit to get it to line up, and will need a new left wheel spacer made up to make up the difference. Wheel alignment from riding bike down my sloped driveway seemed to be good with the stock rear GSXR wheel spacers, it tracks straight at 5-10 MPH. I can tell already that the bike steers much faster and that Gixxer front brakes ROCK. \\/

Get longer crankcase breather hose, possibly install crankcase filter on hose. Is the filter really necessary, or can you just route the hose so that the oily residue doesn't foul anything?

Install stainless braided rear brake hose on GSXR rear brake, bleed rear brake system.

Shave down stock sprocket cover so chain/offset front sprocket don't foul the cover.

Bolt on GSXR rearsets

FINALLY RIDE THE THING!!!!

Once everything mechanical checks out, get blue/white Yoshimura GS1000 paintjob. This might not happen till after July though.

PJ
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2007, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Get longer crankcase breather hose, possibly install crankcase filter on hose. Is the filter really necessary, or can you just route the hose so that the oily residue doesn't foul anything?

Once everything mechanical checks out, get blue/white Yoshimura GS1000 paintjob. This might not happen till after July though.

PJ
                    Just route the breather to the chain and hey presto....Oldskool Scott oiler :-D

Nice choice of paint scheme it will look ace

come on dude, nearly there!!!!

My tank is leaking due to ****ty Brit weather taking it's toll so I am gonna have to find another and get paint re-done...
                    ah well the joys of old bikes

YJ

Comment

PJ
                      I would think you will want to put a filter on. The crankcase emmits this gooey, watery, oily, stinky stuff. Even with a filter it will leak out. I ran mine back to a little catch cup. The cup is actually a spray can lid. Works good, and the smell stays behind you. I got this idea from KeithKrause.

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Bruce-

Nice idea on the catch can. That's about the shiniest valve cover I've ever seen, and where'd you get the adapter for the oil cooler? Nice blingin' braided SS lines too.:-D

Comment

Bruce-

... and where'd you get the adapter for the oil cooler?
                          I found an old oil cooler for an 850 on ebay. I asked if he would include the adapter and he said he would. I kept the adapter and then re-sold the cooler for the same price! \\/ I'm not sure, but I think it was originally made by Lockhart. It was black, but I stripped and polished it.
                          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

A quick update.

Comment

Comment

Getting really close to being done now.

Electronic speedo's been installed. Wiring's been finished up, everything works as it should. The electrical board sits on an undertray under the seat, the battery is in a compartment carved out of the underside of the rear portion of the seat.

Carbs are on and the bike RUNS. \\/ Needs to be jetted for the pods.

Chain alignment is about 1/2" off after shaving down the cush drive rubbers. Looks like the cush drive on the left side of the rear wheel will need to be machined down a bit to get chain alignment good.

Rear brake is fully installed, a new Goodridge stainless braided line was installed and new brake fluid is making it work the way it should. The brake light comes on now when the brake pedal is pressed.

The front brake lever lights up the rear brake light now too.

A new breather hose was purchased, now I need to make a catchcan for it.

Blue and white Yoshimura GS1000 paintjob needs to get done.

The steering dampener needs to be bolted into its bracket.

Make a new front sprocket cover or mod the existing one to accommodate the offset front sprocket.

Thanks, I should probably be committed by now, as in an institution.

Thanks, with some more work it'll be ready to ride by then.

The to-do list:

Finish up wiring and install electronic speedometer.

Reinstall carbs and exhaust, get carb jetting right for pods. From other GSR members' experience, this may be a PITA. Possibly paint V&H header black.

Get chain alignment right. I've been playing with cutting down the GSXR cush drive rubbers to bring the chain inwards a bit to get it to line up, and will need a new left wheel spacer made up to make up the difference. Wheel alignment from riding bike down my sloped driveway seemed to be good with the stock rear GSXR wheel spacers, it tracks straight at 5-10 MPH. I can tell already that the bike steers much faster and that Gixxer front brakes ROCK. \\/

Install stainless braided rear brake hose on GSXR rear brake, bleed rear brake system.

Shave down stock sprocket cover so chain/offset front sprocket don't foul the cover.

Bolt on GSXR rearsets

FINALLY RIDE THE THING!!!!

PJ
                                Last edited by Guest; 06-10-2007, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X