Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
    Alright-

Last big issue/challenge with this build is chain alignment. The sprocket sticks out too far to the left by about 1/2", even with the cush drive rubbers shaved down 15 mm. Rather than hacking another 1/2" from the left side of the cush drive on the 6.0" 2006 GSXR 1000 wheel (and associated mods like new spacers etc), would it be easier to just use a 5.5" 2004/2005 GSXR 750 wheel? Would this bring the chain in any further by using the 5.5" wheel vs. the 6.0" wheel?

I believe most of the people doing this swap used a GS500 sprocket carrier and cush drive, which is significantly narrower than the GSXR parts.

Mark

Comment

Alright-

Paging Johnnay and other folks using newer GSXR 600/750 rear wheels.

What's the measurement from the outside of the rear sprocket to the outside of the rear brake disc on your wheel? I'm measuring 8.25" with the 2006 GSXR 1000 rear wheel.
      8 & 1/16" for mine, although the sprocket carrier sticks out from the wheel and could be reduced by ~.25". I think you'd definitely have an easier time with a 5.5" wheel.

btw, got your PM on the axle size - sorry for not replying earlier - It's 25mm.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnay View Post
        8 & 1/16" for mine, although the sprocket carrier sticks out from the wheel and could be reduced by ~.25". I think you'd definitely have an easier time with a 5.5" wheel.

btw, got your PM on the axle size - sorry for not replying earlier - It's 25mm.
        Totally agree. Just snagged a 5.5" 2005 GSXR 750 rim and rear axle/spacers off eBay - hopefully this'll help with the chain alignment issue.

The sprocket carrier, axle, and rear brake disc interchange between the 04/05 GSXR 750 and 06 GSXR 1000 (at least by part numbers) so hopefully it'll bolt up in the 2006 GSXR 1000 swingarm and provide good chain alignment. Might have to use the 2005 GSXR 750 wheel spacers and my trimmed cush drive rubbers.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2007, 10:50 AM.

Comment

The sprocket sticks out too far to the left by about 1/2", even with the cush drive rubbers shaved down 15 mm.
          Does the trimmed down dampers really move the sprocket carrier in? You still have the bearing support which if the correct one will keep the sprocket carrier at the same position even with trimmed dampers. The bearing support would need shortening too. You would need to shorten the side between the sprocket carrier bearing and the hub bearing the same amount you trimmed the dampers.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
            Does the trimmed down dampers really move the sprocket carrier in? You still have the bearing support which if the correct one will keep the sprocket carrier at the same position even with trimmed dampers. The bearing support would need shortening too. You would need to shorten the side between the sprocket carrier bearing and the hub bearing the same amount you trimmed the dampers.
            The trimmed dampers do move the sprocket carrier in on the newer GSXR wheels, up to a point, because they act as spacers as well. After that, hard parts like bearings, spacers and the cush drive/sprocket carrier themselves start touching and you can't move it in more without modifying them.

The distance between the outside of the rear sprocket and the rear brake rotor before trimming the dampers was 8.75"; I got it down to 8.25" by trimming the rubbers, and it needs to be 7.75" for proper chain alignment. That last 1/2" is a bear because that's where metal starts touching metal. If the same ratio of width can be trimmed from the 5.5" wheel to get the sprocket carrier moved inward, it should work a treat for getting chain alignment right, I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnay View Post

Mine measures the same as johnnay's from sprocket to rotor on my 17x6 PM wheel.

Comment

In case anyone's curious, here's an update on the sprocket/chain alignment issue.

This is the current rear suspension setup:

2005 GSXR 750 rear wheel (5.5x17"), 180 section Michelin Pilot Power rear tire
                2005 GSXR 750 sprocket carrier
                2006 GSXR 1000 cush drive rubbers cut down 15 mm
                520 chain conversion, 5/8" offset 520 front sprocket, rear sprocket flipped over for more clearance
                2006 GSXR 1000 swingarm w/ custom fabbed/welded monoshock conversion
                2005 GSXR 750 wheel spacers

Some notes:

The 2005 GSXR 750 wheel bolts right up using the 750 spacers into the 2006 GSXR 1000 swingarm. The wheel alignment and brake rotor alignment is spot on. A bit of unpowered downhill coasting road testing shows that the bike tracks perfectly in a straight line with this setup, and falls into corners and holds a line very well. The steering geometry and radial tires make it feel like a modern sportbike.

Turns out that the 2005 GSXR 750 sprocket carrier is a bit narrower than the 2006 GSXR 1000 carrier, which is good because it brings the sprocket in a few extra mm.

Trying to quantify how much the sprocket/chain alignment is off has been tough. I used an additional 1.5 mm spacer behind the 5/8" offset front sprocket to offset it an additional 1.5 mm and rechecked front/rear sprocket alignment with a straight edge. The alignment was perfect, although the chain would hit the frame if you tried to mount it that way. So if 1.5 mm is milled from the face of the sprocket carrier to bring the sprocket inward an additional 1.5 mm with the 5/8" offset front sprocket, it *should* line up perfectly.

Here's the sprocket carrier:

Need to find a machine shop with a good lathe now. Also starting to doubt that this bike will be ready in time for the Yosemite/Tahoe rally, but there *is* a 2002 Bandit 1200 with only 1200 miles in the local classifieds for a song....
                Last edited by Guest; 07-04-2007, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Also starting to doubt that this bike will be ready in time for the Yosemite/Tahoe rally, but there *is* a 2002 Bandit 1200 with only 1200 miles in the local classifieds for a song....
                  Any updates? You got that beast flying down the road yet? :-D
                  85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                  79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                    Any updates? You got that beast flying down the road yet? :-D
                    Thanks for asking. The sprocket carrier came back from the machine shop yesterday, so I took it for a test ride last night, and man it feels quick! Feels super torquey now, hit the gas a little bit in any gear and you accelerate HARD right away. Up a few HP with the pipe/pods/rejet and minus 90-100 pounds of weight. Turns and stops really nice too. Sounds incredible too when you get on the gas. Everything was going great till the clip master link came off when I was gunning it, which caused the chain to come off and the bike to have to be towed back home. 8-[ This thing is definitely in test mode right now.

As for the rally, I'll bring the bike if anyone wants to check it out, but will most likely be riding a GSXR for the weekend until the kinks are all worked out on the GS.
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-10-2007, 11:01 AM.

Comment

you have been to quiet! whats been going on?
                      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                      82 Kat 1000 Project
                      05 CRF450x
                      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I bought a 06 GSXR 750 to have a bike to ride while working on the GS and have been riding the wheels off that thing.

From a bit of test riding, the chain drags on the frame on deceleration so it's back to the machine shop with the sprocket carrier.

Comment

I bought a 06 GSXR 750 to have a bike to ride while working on the GS and have been riding the wheels off that thing.

From a bit of test riding, the chain drags on the frame on deceleration so it's back to the machine shop with the sprocket carrier.
                          Pretty hard to get any work done with that new rocket in your garage, eh?
                          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Just grind the frame a bit if it's not too bad - on my bike the part that rubs is where a brace is welded on - wouldn't hurt the main structural piece to grind down the weld, which is what I'll be doing if it rubs (I'm getting really close to trying it out).

Comment

Haven't decided yet. Would love to, but wadding this thing up in a corner would be a heartbreaker.
                              Turns out the turn signals won't flash because there's not enough resistance in the system for the turn signal box to make them flash. If you plug the stock gauges in, they flash just fine. Now there's gotta be a way to fake out the flasher box...anyone? [-o<
                              I'm a bit puzzled that you're afraid of "wadding up" your bike at the track. Wouldn't a track day be the safest way to find out if all the radical changes you've made to your bike work well?
                              As for the turn signals, Have you tried removing the Stock Gauges' wiring harness & center section & figuring out a way to mount it to the new front end?

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by humhead View Post
                                I'm a bit puzzled that you're afraid of "wadding up" your bike at the track. Wouldn't a track day be the safest way to find out if all the radical changes you've made to your bike work well?
                                As for the turn signals, Have you tried removing the Stock Gauges' wiring harness & center section & figuring out a way to mount it to the new front end?

Terry
                                Thanks for the comment. It'd be interesting to see if this bike would pass technical inspection for a track day.... Test rides so far have been when there's not a lot of traffic etc. Happy to say it turns, stops, and accelerates far better than stock. Feels a LOT like my GSXR 750 in terms of turning and stopping, very agile with powerful brakes. It accelerates like a bat out of hell from dropping weight and adding a bit of power with the pipe/pods and rejet.

All the steering geometry engineering (rake/trail, wheelbase, linkage angles, shock angle, forward/aft weight distribution etc etc) was borrowed from the GSXR 1000, so I'm pretty confident it'll work well. My job was basically to study the GSXR 1000 and copy and adapt all their suspension engineering to the GS1000 since Suzuki already figured out the ideal configuration.

Just gotta resolve the chain issue. The turn signals work well now, turns out the issue was that the battery wasn't charged enough to get them to flash. I mounted the front ones to the headlight brackets by drilling a couple of holes in the brackets which works well.
                                Last edited by Guest; 08-13-2007, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X