• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H4 Silverstar and relays = Best Mod Evar! :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by Regent View Post
      Where can you pick one of the bulbs + relays up? My headlight is a bit dim, just like its owner.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-09-2007, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Regent View Post
        Relays? For what? (excuse my ignorance)

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
        Where can you pick one of the bulbs + relays up? My headlight is a bit dim, just like its owner.
        If your lamp is already a halogen, you can get a Silverstar at any parts store.
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
          If your lamp is already a halogen, you can get a Silverstar at any parts store.
          "Brilliant" suggestion there Bruce, best $20 mod to date on the bike.
          That bulb is almost blindingly bright on the high beam. \\/

Finally got the digital speedo working today. The trick was getting two penny sized rare earth magnets, sticking them together, then gluing them to the front brake disc with a dab of epoxy so the speedo sensor would pick up the signal from the magnets.
          Last edited by Guest; 10-10-2007, 10:52 PM.

Comment

What about this Silverstar bulb?
            Stock for my '79 1000 is 55/60. What wattage are you guys talking here?
            The stock GS wiring harness is known to get very hot and melt at the headlight connections (mine did when it was about 2 years old) so I'm worried about changing to a brighter bulb. It seems any brighter bulb must be drawing a little more amperage and that's the last thing the harness will tolerate.
            Please add your thoughts as I'd like to go with a brighter bulb too.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
              The stock GS wiring harness is known to get very hot and melt at the headlight connections (mine did when it was about 2 years old) so I'm worried about changing to a brighter bulb. It seems any brighter bulb must be drawing a little more amperage and that's the last thing the harness will tolerate.
              The Silverstar is 55/60 watt, 12 volt. Here's more info: http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...r/ProductLine/

It's the first bulb on their list. I'm guessing it's brighter because of the halogen design. The amperage would be the same since it's still the same wattage. Amperage = watts/ volts.
              Last edited by Guest; 10-11-2007, 10:56 AM.

Comment

The wattage is the same. The amp draw is the same as well. I have them on both my bikes, and they don't seem to be any hotter than the standard halogen. Love 'em!
                85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

okay now...so you Originally thought you`d modernize it...and Now you want to replicate the Cooley bike? good plan but either way it`s your bike so do what you want.Their are a lot of old men who adhere to the "stock is best" philosophy on this forum,not too many tuners it seems.\\/ The stock bike will keep its`value better but like the press said at the time of it`s introduction the styling is pretty bland and those mags,fugly lmo..

Comment

Originally posted by raceman View Post
                    okay now...so you Originally thought you`d modernize it...and Now you want to replicate the Cooley bike? good plan but either way it`s your bike so do what you want.Their are a lot of old men who adhere to the "stock is best" philosophy on this forum,not too many tuners it seems.\\/ The stock bike will keep its`value better but like the press said at the time of it`s introduction the styling is pretty bland and those mags,fugly lmo..
                    I want the Cooley bike with modern suspension, brakes, handling, and a hopped up motor. The suspension mods were stage 1, now it's time to tear into the motor and get the paint sorted. Paint will probably be the next step, then the motor. Gotta collect the parts to get the motor rebuild done...

Stock is fine but I like designing/building/making things so...

I'd like to build this bike but with the GSXR 1000 suspension: \\/

Last edited by Guest; 10-11-2007, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                      The Silverstar is 55/60 watt, 12 volt. Here's more info: http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...r/ProductLine/

It's the first bulb on their list. I'm guessing it's brighter because of the halogen design. The amperage would be the same since it's still the same wattage. Amperage = watts/ volts.
                      OK. Thanks for the info. Thank you too Bruce.
                      Did either of you take any actual distance measurements or do any test to prove the Silverstar bulb throws more light or is it truly obvious there's more light and not just an imaginary thing?
                      I still wonder how they can throw more light if the watts are the same.
                      Where did you guys buy them?
                      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I bought a 2-pack at Kragen. Walmart has them, too, or most any parts store. I can't remember for sure, but I think it was the 9003?

I didn't run any tests. The difference is very obvious, especially on my 1150 with it's big headlight. When riding at night, my buddies make me lead so they can see!
                        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

OK. Thanks for the info. Thank you too Bruce.
                          Did either of you take any actual distance measurements or do any test to prove the Silverstar bulb throws more light or is it truly obvious there's more light and not just an imaginary thing?
                          I still wonder how they can throw more light if the watts are the same.
                          Where did you guys buy them?
                          I bought the bulb at AutoZone. It's the Silverstar H4ST. I've haven't ridden with it long (only two nights ) but have noticed that I can see far better in darkness and that it makes you much more visible to cars at night due to its brightness. The light coming from the bulb is a bright white vs. the stock yellowish light which helps too.

Comment

Hmm... I'm thinking I want one of these mythical bulbs as well. Are these the ones that are so bright they blind and p!ss-off the people going the other way?

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                              I bought a 2-pack at Kragen. Walmart has them, too, or most any parts store. I can't remember for sure, but I think it was the 9003?

I didn't run any tests. The difference is very obvious, especially on my 1150 with it's big headlight. When riding at night, my buddies make me lead so they can see!
                              I have read that the 9003ST and the H4ST are the same

Comment

Originally posted by mriddle View Post
                                I have read that the 9003ST and the H4ST are the same
                                That was my next question.
                                Only difference I can see at their website is that the two bulbs are in different categories. Maybe I can e-mail them and find out any real difference? I can't find the time until tonight though. Gotta get to work.
                                I'm assuming Bruce is using the same bulbs on both his 1150 and 1000? How did you determine which bulb was the right one Bruce?

Comment

Working...
                                X