GS1000 streetfighter idea w/ picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
    The front fender is chrome. It's a little scuffed up toward the back, but hardly noticeable unless you're looking for it. The fender *should* fit the 79 GS1000, but I'm not sure. Check bikebandit.com to see if the part numbers are the same.
    The parts numbers are different.

Comment

After some research, stock speedometer will be replaced/augmented with a digital one from Sigma. I looked into replacing the clocks with GSXR gauges, but the wiring is daunting. The Sigma BC 1606L DTS is easy to install, digital, has a backlight, and has a wireless pickup from the front wheel.

Last edited by Guest; 10-10-2006, 12:49 PM.

Comment

I'm going to get one of the acewell speedos (look at http://www.electrosport.com), but they're out of stock on the one I want. I bought a bicycle speedo in the interim, but got a wired one - I heard the wireless ones weren't great on a motorcycle at speed - could be old info though.

Comment

After some research, stock speedometer will be replaced/augmented with a digital one from Sigma. I looked into replacing the clocks with GSXR gauges, but the wiring is daunting. The Sigma BC 1606L DTS is easy to install, digital, has a backlight, and has a wireless pickup from the front wheel.

I dont think thats gunna help ya much m8.... the front wheel actually has to be on the ground for it to work....:-\"

Comment

LOL!

Originally posted by Pharkmeh View Post
            I dont think thats gunna help ya much m8.... the front wheel actually has to be on the ground for it to work....:-\"
            Those Acewell speedos look nice - decisions, decisions.

Originally posted by johnnay
            I'm going to get one of the acewell speedos (look at http://www.electrosport.com), but they're out of stock on the one I want. I bought a bicycle speedo in the interim, but got a wired one - I heard the wireless ones weren't great on a motorcycle at speed - could be old info though.

Comment

How accurate are the Electrosport speedos? One of the problems I'm trying to overcome with the GS speedo is that it consistently reads about 3-5 MPH
              too fast. I wonder if the problem lies in the speedo drive on the GS or in the actual speedometer.

Originally posted by johnnay View Post

Comment

I believe the Electrosport ones are programmable just like the bicycle speedos - you plug in a number based on the diameter of the tire so it will read correctly for any bike. Plus they have inputs for electronic or mechanical speedo drive thingy's.

I bought an electronic speedo drive from an SV650, but unfortunately it doesn't mate with my GSXR wheel.. have to stick with the mechanical one that came with the front end.

You also might want to check out koso speedos, and there's a yamaha xs650 site that has nice ones for around $60 - can't remember the site but someone posted it here a while ago...

Comment

How accurate are the Electrosport speedos? One of the problems I'm trying to overcome with the GS speedo is that it consistently reads about 3-5 MPH
                  too fast. I wonder if the problem lies in the speedo drive on the GS or in the actual speedometer.

dude - dont mess with it - seriously... its a money saver...

my truck and my bike read way too fast... and I reckon thats the only way I have saved my license over the last 5 years....

I still do the maths in my head when I ride/drive and creep up on the speed a lil - but I find I am less likely in general transit to flog em quite as hard... seems to subconciously reduce the inert desire to speed since my eyes tell me I already am....8-)

and when Im going hard on the bike - I neva get to look at the speedo much anyhoo....:-\"

although I confess to watching you carefully since i wouldnt mind somthing similar that also gave accurate readings on oil temp/pressure...

happy modding m8....

Comment

I'm looking at doing something a little different myself. every other day it's do it or dont do it. I'm keeping everything I change just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by ghainjr1 View Post
                      I'm looking at doing something a little different myself. every other day it's do it or dont do it. I'm keeping everything I change just in case.

Nice looking 1100 with the chameleon paint. What mods do you have in mind?

Comment

You may not be able to use the wireless version they require a direct line of sight from the pickup on the wheel to the head unit. Easy to do on a bicycle, but a motorcycle has a lot going on on the bars.

I put the 1600 on my bike and they are pretty accurate. They use tire diameter and revolutions to determine speed.

I am guessing that the back light feature may be temp on when you touch a button, if not you are looking at a shorter battery life. They sell light assemblies you can put right next to them that work ok. It'd save battery life and the make it less often you'd have to enter the odo milage and wheel size.

Comment

Gixxer front and rear. Extended swing arm. Motors apart so maybe a couple things in there. Everything stripped and not sure what I'm going to do for paint yet.

Comment

What can be done to get an electronic/digital tach on GS?

The Electrosport gauges look great and have lots of features, but their tach inputs are CDI or ignition coil signal. What does CDI and ignition coil signal mean? I assume this means that the new tach expects an electronic input. (http://www.electrosport.com/electros...eedo_3900.html) The GS tach cable and mechanism is mechanical, not electronic. Apart from buying an expensive Dyna 2000 electronic ignition with a digital tach output, what can be done to get a digital/electronic signal out to these new tachs?
                            Last edited by Guest; 10-11-2006, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Are you doing the monoshock conversion on your rear?

Originally posted by ghainjr1 View Post
                              Gixxer front and rear. Extended swing arm. Motors apart so maybe a couple things in there. Everything stripped and not sure what I'm going to do for paint yet.

Comment

I considered it but not sure if I want the extra work. Alot of things still up in the air. I want to go back to close to stock if not satisfied with the outcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X