GS1000 streetfighter idea w/ picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GS1000 Project Bike

Wow, that is one clean bike like no other - a one-of-a-kind classic bike.
    I had to do a double take that this is indeed an 80/81 GS1100 due to
    the body. But yes, it has the non-TSCC engine with the round cam
    plates. This is a clear indication of a 8-valve GS1000 motor !!

Nice job, and clean attributes !! \\/

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
      We might do a bit of dyno tuning to dial in the carburation and get some HP/torque figures once it's all together. Why engine performance is so anemic right now is a mystery, it should be much better. No idea on the motor's history so a strip down may be revealing as to the cause of the weak HP. It pulls hard to 80-90 MPH and then wheezes to 100. Final gearing ratio is stock at 2.8.
      It should blow past 100 mph in 3rd, and pull hard into 4th up to 125 or so.

You should degree your cams if you're going to do all that engine work
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
        It should blow past 100 mph in 3rd, and pull hard into 4th up to 125 or so.

You should degree your cams if you're going to do all that engine work
        Yep, the motor's currently sick and senile and in need of some surgery.

Part of the rebuild will be APE adjustable cam sprockets so we can degree the cams.

Wonder what the top speed will be once all the motor work has been done with a HP target of 120-135 HP?

Comment

So, I got some quotes on the following parts and machine work. Holy crap, talk about expensive. Still want to get all this done, but for budget reasons I doubt it's all going to get done in one shot.

Wiseco 1100 cc kit, cylinder boring
          ported/flowed head
          new valves
          new camchain
          Carrillo rods
          Falicon lightened/balanced/indexed/welded supercrank
          undercut tranny
          Web Cams, #110 grind, .395 lift.
          New Dyna 2000 ignition
          new spark plugs
          new spark plug wires
          New stator/regulator
          Pingel fuel tap
          Black engine paint.
          Falicon welded clutch basket
          Custom 4/2/1 exhaust

Think we'll break this motor rebuild into 2 stages to spread the cost over a couple of years. The top end is the part that's sickly on this motor so we'll start there and then do the bottom end when budget allows. Any disadvantage to this approach other than having to tear down the motor twice, once for the top end and once for the bottom end? Am I going to make my stock rods and crank go BANG by not doing the bottom end at the same time as the top end?

So Stage 1 (top end) would be:

ported/flowed head
          new valves
          New Dyna 2000 ignition
          new spark plugs
          new spark plug wires
          New stator/regulator
          Pingel fuel tap
          Black engine paint.
          Custom 4/2/1 exhaust

Stage 2 (bottom end) would be:

new camchain (can't replace this without splitting the cases :/ )
          Carrillo rods
          Falicon lightened/balanced/indexed/welded supercrank
          Falicon welded clutch basket
          undercut tranny

Comment

new camchain (can't replace this without splitting the cases :/ )
            you should be able to do it by splitting the old one, hook up the new one to it, rotate until the new shows up, master link, voila!

at least that's the way i remember doing mine

also did my top end without touching the bottom end but i didn't go higher cc or compression rating, just new rings and a 'cleanup' of the valves and ports. that was 40,000kms ago, so far so good...

Comment

GS 1000 streetfighter

remember the reply's you recieved when you started. most post told you if it was their bike in the condition it was in, to leave it alone. buy a bandit or use a bike that was tired, then youd have two. you stated you wanted something diff, looks alot like the old bikes i see alot more of.dont get me wrong i liked the idea of a wes cooley track bike. but that had the twin shocks,frontend was stock, just internals were changed, and braced. flatslides cams and punched. with what youve invested in Gixer suspension and man hours. You mighthave something close to the pictures you showed us in 06 was it.Granted you will have a fast great handleing GS 1000. but i liked the classic, you started with. Alot of us would give up our wifes for a bike like that. what am i saying. your bike was worth alot more than that!:-D S.N.

Comment

Originally posted by SAN View Post
                remember the reply's you recieved when you started. most post told you if it was their bike in the condition it was in, to leave it alone. buy a bandit or use a bike that was tired, then youd have two. you stated you wanted something diff, looks alot like the old bikes i see alot more of.dont get me wrong i liked the idea of a wes cooley track bike. but that had the twin shocks,frontend was stock, just internals were changed, and braced. flatslides cams and punched. with what youve invested in Gixer suspension and man hours. You mighthave something close to the pictures you showed us in 06 was it.Granted you will have a fast great handleing GS 1000. but i liked the classic, you started with. Alot of us would give up our wifes for a bike like that. what am i saying. your bike was worth alot more than that!:-D S.N.
                Worth more to who, you? Thats completely irrelevant. Many people have already pointed this out to him, and he has politely explained his case and left it alone. But for some reason, the PURISTS can't contain themselves and have to keep going on about it. The bike doesn't belong to you, so it doesn't really matter what YOU think it should be.

Get over it already!

Comment

Here we go again.

Stock is a good starting place. If all those stock parts worked as well as the good stuff, then I'd use 'em. Fact is that modern suspension and brakes are LIGHT YEARS ahead of the stock stuff.

Eventually the tire manufacturers will stop making bias tires, then what?

Heh, I bought a high mileage, wheezy engined GS1000 for cheap with a rusty, faded tank that had sat out in the sun getting old and rusty and unridden for quite some time. The seller put some spit shine on for the first photo, it's not that purty in real life. Well, till I've put some effort into it. And it's still not too purty. Feel better now?

If people have a problem with someone creating a GS1000 that's better handling, better looking and faster than it was the day it rolled out of the factory, move onto the next thread.

Now about that engine rebuild...
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-04-2008, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Any disadvantage to this approach other than having to tear down the motor twice, once for the top end and once for the bottom end? Am I going to make my stock rods and crank go BANG by not doing the bottom end at the same time as the top end?
                    I'd say that's a good approach. With the top end off, you'll be able to check a few things out in the bottom, like checking for play on your rods and making sure your crank is straight. If it shifts good now, your tranny is probably fine, and will be with the mods.

I'm not undercutting my tranny gears.... they already are undercut to a degree. Are you going with straight-cut gears on the crank and clutch?
                    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

I agree, good approach to do it in 2 stages. All that lower end stuff is expensive. Most people who I remember modding their bikes "back in the day" never had any lower end problems.

I thought you were looking a bit over the top on your spending. Doing half of that 15 years ago set me back about $1,000, with me doing all the wrench work. I didn't add cams

While I'm more on the purist end, you have inspired me to start gathering parts for my rolling parts bike. So far, and 1100 swingarm and some more Marzocchi shocks. I'm see if I can get the 850 parts bike currently on Craigslist for a song for more needed parts (bodywork, seat, dual disc front end (for my purist 1000), and whatever else I can cannibilize off of it. Then, well, you know how it goes (GSX front end and rear wheel, brakes, etc)
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Welcome to my problem, start collecting parts now, and depending on your budget maybe just rehone and ring for now. You could save some money by going stock rods, that was my plan. I was going to ask Stan Gardner what he though about stock rods when he does my crank, think he is a little cheaprer then Falicon. I'll be running around 11.2:1 compresstion. Who is doing your head Speedy Steve? he is close to both of us? You plan on using under bucket tappets and shims? titanium retainers? Would say build up at least 2k in your war chest then start building this motor.
                        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                        82 Kat 1000 Project
                        05 CRF450x
                        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
                          Welcome to my problem, start collecting parts now, and depending on your budget maybe just rehone and ring for now. You could save some money by going stock rods, that was my plan. I was going to ask Stan Gardner what he though about stock rods when he does my crank, think he is a little cheaprer then Falicon. I'll be running around 11.2:1 compresstion. Who is doing your head Speedy Steve? he is close to both of us? You plan on using under bucket tappets and shims? titanium retainers? Would say build up at least 2k in your war chest then start building this motor.
                          Hehe, fun costs money and lots of fun costs lots of money. I'm really curious to see if this bike'll be as fast or faster than the newer bikes.

APE is doing the head most likely because they can supply the machine work and the parts inhouse.

Their quote included race porting, new standard sized exhaust valves, new +1mm intake valves, APE valve springs, bronze valve guides, stem seals, and a performance valve job.

What's the advantage of bucket tappets and shims and titanium retainers?

Comment

Titanium retainers would reduce weight which means you can raise the rev limit. Bucket tappets I imagine is either a mod to stop valve bounce or so that shims cannot spring loose at extreme RPM's.

Dan
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

see here

Place your GS performance, tuning or mods related questions in this forum.

if you don't mind can you pm me your price quotes since i am following a similar path.
                              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                              82 Kat 1000 Project
                              05 CRF450x
                              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

So Stage 1 (top end) would be:

ported/flowed head
                                new valves
                                New Dyna 2000 ignition
                                new spark plugs
                                new spark plug wires
                                New stator/regulator
                                Pingel fuel tap
                                Black engine paint.
                                Custom 4/2/1 exhaust
                                Your best bang for the buck is the 1100cc kit and cams. I would skip the porting if money is tight. The ignition stuff is a sound investment as well. I would try to find a production pipe that works unless you can get the custom one for reasonable $$$.

I'm really curious to see if this bike'll be as fast or faster than the newer bikes.
                                No it won't. You are fighting too many years of development and too much weight. My 06 GSXR1K weighs 430lb FULL of fuel and makes 160rwhp, with a super flat torque curve. It handles like a 160hp dirt bike, it feels so light. You will never approach those kinds of numbers no matter what you spend... But you WILL have one cool, unique ride that is a superb street bike. Still worth it in the end, IMO.

One thing to remember with the engine work, don't go so radical that it becomes a nasty, tempermental beast that is always breaking and has a razor sharp, top-end only powerband. One of the best features of our GS's is the great, torquey, user-friendly engines and it would be a shame to lose that basic character.

Just my $0.02

Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X