Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pics, pics, pics please!!

Comment

OK, here are few progress pics. My wife has been gracious enough to let me work on the bike in the house this winter to stave off those 25 degree garage temps. :-D

The stock clutch basket has rattled at idle ever since I bought the bike so it was sent out to GRC to have a Falicon heavy duty clutch kit installed. Stan did a very nice job, wish I could TIG weld like that!

It was reinstalled in the bike using half OEM clutch springs and half Barnett heavy duty springs to give an easier clutch pull over the all heavy duty springs which were in the bike last season.

An Earl's oil cooler and lines were installed to help keep temperatures in line. Bracket and cooler will be painted black once it warms up enough to paint.

I wasn't a fan of the way the Hindle can looked and the ghetto-fabulous exhaust hanger I had installed to test out the viability of the header system so...

I'm in the process of putting an eBay-special (read CHEAP!) 06 GSXR 1000 Ti Yoshi slipon on the bike right now.

This is a quick mockup to see how it looks and to take measurements etc - need to fab a couple of exhaust hangers.

Comment

Wo-hoooow! Thaaaaat's going to come out very nicely. Great stuff; keep it coming.

-KR

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
          OK, here are few progress pics. My wife has been gracious enough to let me work on the bike in the house this winter to stave off those 25 degree garage temps. :-D

The stock clutch basket has rattled at idle ever since I bought the bike so it was sent out to GRC to have a Falicon heavy duty clutch kit installed. Stan did a very nice job, wish I could TIG weld like that!

It was reinstalled in the bike using half OEM clutch springs and half Barnett heavy duty springs to give an easier clutch pull over the all heavy duty springs which were in the bike last season.

An Earl's oil cooler and lines were installed to help keep temperatures in line. Bracket and cooler will be painted black once it warms up enough to paint.

I wasn't a fan of the way the Hindle can looked and the ghetto-fabulous exhaust hanger I had installed to test out the viability of the header system so...

I'm in the process of putting an eBay-special (read CHEAP!) 06 GSXR 1000 Ti Yoshi slipon on the bike right now.

This is a quick mockup to see how it looks and to take measurements etc - need to fab a couple of exhaust hangers.

Man I'm diggin that paint job it looks fantastic! Is that Yoshi a new mod? I like the carb centerpiece on the table..
          Last edited by Guest; 02-16-2009, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
            Man I'm diggin that paint job it looks fantastic! Is that Yoshi a new mod?
            Yep, the Yoshi pipe is replacing the fugly Hindle can and "hanger" on the bike previously.

Comment

The yoshi looks really good on your build. I would like to find one for my 1100. I have to say your bike is by far one of the nicest looking monoshock builds on here. A great point of reference.

Comment

A bit of inspiration:

Comment

i love your thou....one thing that worries me slightly though is your cooler . i note its a curved one ...towards the wheel and it sits quite low.

now youve probably got it covered...but just to put my mind at ease ...you have checked that the muddy isnt gonna touch the cooler under heavy under braking havent you.

rory

ps ....been to the post office yet

Comment

Originally posted by saffa View Post
                    i love your thou....one thing that worries me slightly though is your cooler . i note its a curved one ...towards the wheel and it sits quite low.

now youve probably got it covered...but just to put my mind at ease ...you have checked that the muddy isnt gonna touch the cooler under heavy under braking havent you.

rory

ps ....been to the post office yet
                    No it won't touch, and yes the package is somewhere between the USA and UK at the moment...tell your m8 to watch for a package addressed to S. Affa
                    Last edited by Guest; 02-25-2009, 06:33 PM.

Comment

A bit of inspiration:

Awesome pic, PJ!! Very cool.
                      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

PJ, did you make fab your own cooler lines?

Comment

Yeah he did

Comment

I bought the Earl's lines and fittings from www.anplumbing.com (great service/prices on Earl's products) and put them together. Measured the length of the hose runs from end to end for the oil lines and then cut a small piece of hose to practice on.

I tried various methods of cutting but what worked the best for me was wrapping the section to be cut tightly in stretchy electrical tape a few times and then making the cut with good quality hose cutter from Summit Racing.

Here's a good video on the assembly process. They use a chisel to cut the line so there are various methods of getting the cutting done.

Getting the hose ends into the fittings took a few practice runs on the test piece of hose, then I put together the "real" lines shown once comfortable with the assembly process.

Comment

I really wish I wouldn't have read through this thread again. Looks like I may be getting a newer daily riding bike and now I'm seriously considering the monoshock on the 1100 now....

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalSuperF View Post
                                Hey 80GS1000!

Do you still have this pipe? I'm very interested!.
                                Too late matey... sorry

Looking good PJ
                                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                                X