No announcement yet.

GS1000 streetfighter idea w/ picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey 80GS1000 what bike is that steering dampener from?
    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by patrickmcp View Post
      Hey 80GS1000 what bike is that steering dampener from?
      Thanks
      Same as the front end - 2004 GSXR 1000.

Comment

All welding done, monoshocked, primed and primer sealed. Didn't powdercoat it yet in case I change something. Paint coming tomorrow.

">

Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2009, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Verrrrrrrrrrry cool.
          -KR

Comment

who did your seat? i like the way that fits

Comment

Originally posted by Curbchek View Post
              who did your seat? i like the way that fits
              Bought it that way on eBay. I bet any auto upholstery shop could do it.

Comment

Hi, you've got a PM.

Comment

too good a post to disappear

Comment

GS Awesome!

So how is this bike doing??? New changes? Or living the life of blowing new bikes off the road?
                    G
                    sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
                    2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
                    Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
                    '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.:eek:

Comment

Originally posted by patrickmcp View Post
                      too good a post to disappear
                      That's what I'm sayin'!

Comment

Stay tuned for the next episode of this thread...still tinkering now and then. The bike hasn't tasted a Miller Motorsports Park trackday yet either, might have to fix that. Would be fun to go beat up on some newschool 600s.
                        Last edited by Guest; 12-16-2010, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Hoooooo-rahhhhhh!!!
                          Now that's what I wanna hear!

Post up as soon as you get more pics of ANYTHING!
                          -KR

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                            An update-

The toughest part about doing this particular front end swap is the difference in steering stem diameter between the GS1000 and the GSXR 1000. The bearings on the bottom are the same size, but the bearings on the top are different.

The steering stem bearings on the two bikes are like this:

GS1000 UPPER:
                            25 mm inner diameter, 47 mm outer race diameter, and 15 mm height

GS1000 LOWER:
                            30 mm inner diameter, 55 mm outer race diameter, and 17 mm height

GSXR1000 UPPER:

GSXR1000 LOWER:

So, that leaves you with a few options. You can turn the GSXR steering stem down 5 mm on a lathe to get the upper steering stem to get it to fit the stock GS1000 bearing. This however potentially compromises the strength of the stem. You can get a new stem made to match the GSXR lower triple and the GS steering stem. But this is a PITA, involving drawing up accurate specifications to send to a machine shop for fabrication.

Or you can get the correct 30x47x15 bearing to mate the two. \\/ This guy custom makes these bearings for front end swaps, they are not available from any bearing manufacturer. Just so happens that the SV steering bearings are the same as the GS. Gotta love Suzuki interchangablilty.

Ground clearance shouldn't be too much of an issue as the new forks are only .5" shorter than the GS1000 forks. The main potential ground clearance issue is the fact that the new Gixxer front end has a lower profile 17" tire instead of the 19" on the GS1000. But the radial tire and vastly superior front forks should help prevent bottoming out. To be determined.
                            Hey,
                            Does anyone know where the "custom" upper bearing can be currently sourced?
                            My project is FINALLY about to begin.

Comment

Comment

Trackday prep

So the 2011 riding season here in Utah is almost upon us, and with it comes another season of trackdays and roadracing. It's been a dream of mine to ride a GS1000 on a track since I was a kid - I had a poster of Wes Cooley battling it out on a Yoshi GS1000 against Lawson etc in the old AMA Superbike days hanging on my bedroom wall in grade school.

It was something like this:

So let's make it happen...the first trackday of this new season is at Miller Motorsports Park on April 9th.

In order to make that happen, the following things need to be done:

1. Fix the starter clutch. Somewhere along the line it stripped a tooth and makes an awful racket when the bike is running. I have a NOS replacement for it, and will have to install it plus probably pull the oil pan to find the missing tooth.
                                2. Rebuild the clutch. Started slipping last riding season even with new springs, so got some new fibers on order.
                                3. Safety wire the front caliper mounting bolts, the oil drain plug, the oil filler cap, and the header bolts which especially like to work themselves loose. Lockwiring isn't required by the trackday org, but never hurts to make sure important bolts stay nice and tight.
                                4. Strip all the street gear off the bike. Taillight, turn signals, and probably the headlight. Thinking I'm going to be riding the track only this season.
                                5. Install a set of trackworthy tires. I'm not going to be pushing hard enough to justify a set of DOT race tires, so something between a regular sport tire and a DOT is the call. The nice thing about street tires vs. full on race tires is that they don't need tire warmers, handle heat cycling well, and last for stinkin' ever compared to race rubber.

The new Dunlop Qualifier 2 (Q2) tires have been getting rave reviews and are better priced than the Bridgestones and Michelins so that's probably going to be the selected tire. The profile on the Q2s in person looks exactly the same as the Dunlop 211 DOT race tire, so it should perform well on the track.

Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2011, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X