No announcement yet.

GS1000 streetfighter idea w/ picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bet a friendly machine shop might make you extended caps that are longer than 20mm for not much more than $100...

There's not a lot to them apart from the thread.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Here are the lengths of the "older" Suzuki forks:
      GSXR K : 740 mm
      GSXR J : 765 mm
      Bandit : 780 mm
      GS 1000 : 775 mm
      Katana 1100 : 800 mm
      The FJR 1300 fork legs measure 800 mm another potential candidate with GSXR K/L triple trees?

I have tried the GSXR K ( 2nd gen) : too short compounded by the 17" wheel
      The GSXR J is just fine with the 18" wheel.
      I also lengthened the GSXR K for my 1100 Kat.
      Very complex and expensive: not recommended!
      Last edited by John Kat; 10-25-2012, 11:09 AM. Reason: added data for FJR 1300
      sigpicJohn Kat
      My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
      GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Anybody know if 93 GSXR750 forks will be long enough for my 79 GS750?

Comment

Originally posted by Hone101 View Post
          Anybody know if 93 GSXR750 forks will be long enough for my 79 GS750?
          Are you doing any other mods to the bike? Those 93 GSXR 750 forks are 740 mm.

What size front rim and tire does your bike run now?

How long are your current forks, from the center of the axle to the top of the fork tube?
          Last edited by Guest; 10-25-2012, 04:31 PM.

Comment

I'm planning on doing the 850 Cylinder conversion as well but waiting to find a deal on it. What length are the stock forks from my 750? I'm using clubmans now and hope to find some clipons for the new forks. I plan on using the stock 93 wheels and brakes and triples.

Comment

The current front rim is 19 and tire is 100/90 19 I think. The fork length I dunno they are stock with new progressive springs.

Comment

The current front rim is 19 and tire is 100/90 19 I think. The fork length I dunno they are stock with new progressive springs.
                Break out the tape measure.

Seriously though, figure about a 1.25-1.5" drop from going to 19" to a 17" front rim and tire, then subtract the difference in fork length too between your proposed forks and your stock ones. Are you leaving the rear twinshock or going mono?

John K said about that the GSXR K : 740 mm forks with the 17" front wheel were too short for his Katana, so keep that in mind.
                Last edited by Guest; 10-25-2012, 05:29 PM.

Comment

I had found a cheap set of 93 forks on ebay. Guess I'll let them go till I do some more research on what will work. I keep seeing mention of CBR954 Drop Triples. What year and model are they from? Can I get an 18 inch wheel and use the drop triples maybe?
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-25-2012, 06:15 PM.

Comment

I had found a cheap set of 93 forks on ebay. Guess I'll let them go till I do some more research on what will work. I keep seeing mention of CBR954 Drop Triples. What year and model are they from? Can I get an 18 inch wheel and use the drop triples maybe?
                    Ask Katman about the CBR triples.

Comment

this bike is so sweet!!!! i just love these ole gs;s.

i was wondering how the stock cylinder is handling the 73.5mm pistons? i heard it left the liners super thin...

thanks
                      matt

Comment

I like the "as stock" picture, and the pictures of the old Yoshimura race bike. I just don't see a connection.

I'd use a different bike as the starting point for the Yoshimura re-creation. You'd be destroying the value of your old GS. What model is it, exactly?

Edit: I read the first post without looking at the date.
                        Last edited by Rob S.; 03-21-2014, 12:35 AM.
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Hey gang, I'm back at the GS1000 R&D game after a number of years away. Good to be back at the GSR! Hope everyone is well.

As "found" partially disassembled when the tarp was removed from the 1000 after many years:

The bike as it sits now, with the addition of a Yoshimura slip-on (muffler bracket removed temporarily shown here), Earl's oil cooler and billet oil cooler takeoff, superbike bars, and Koso electronic tach/speedo/oil temperature gauge.

I've changed the rear wheel to a 2006 GSXR 750 for better chain alignment. More on that later...

Tail section is off until I get the bodywork repainted.

In order to improve aesthetics (hunched over stance due to short GSXR 1000 forks) and handling (a bit more twitchy/unstable than I'd like so more rake & trail needed), I plan on adding about 20 mm of front ride height via some fork cap extensions for the GSXR forks.

As it so happens, the board on the ground under the front wheel is about 20 mm high so it gives a good preview of the before and after stance.

Before:

After:

Other plans for the cold weather wrenching season include:

• Adding a heavier spring for the rear shock to match the bike & rider's weight better - currently too soft
                          • Fixing the leaky oil pan
                          • Getting the chain run perfect. I've mocked up a 2006 GSXR 750 rear wheel in the pics above to help in the effort to get the chain run straight. I was using a 2005 GSXR 750 rear wheel before and had to machine the sprocket carrier and cut down the cush drive rubbers to get the chain in the ballpark of alignment. The 06 750 rear wheel is narrower than the 05 at the hub & sprocket by about 5-6 mm without modification. Once I shim the 5/8" offset front sprocket, I hope that the chain alignment will be perfect.
                          • Adding a wideband oxygen sensor & gauge (Dynojet Wideband 2) to truly dial in the RS flatslide carburetors
                          • Paint and bodywork - needs a respray and the dent pulled out of the left side of the tank () after a 0 MPH tipover. Case covers need to be either resprayed or powdercoated. Currently leaning toward a GS1000S style paintjob but in darker, solid blue on top of the tank & tail.

Something along these lines:

Attached Files
                          Last edited by 80GS1000; 10-02-2019, 06:44 PM.
                          Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                          2006 GSXR 750

Comment

I remember that bike. Glad to see you are back at it.
                            7 years under the tarp? That must have been tough knowing it just needed a few finishing touches.
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Welcome back PJ
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Great to see you back PJ. Looking forward to seeing the bike completed. I really liked what you did with it when I saw it at Bruce's place. Now it will be even better. Still racing that 750 or have you moved on?
                                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
                                https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X