• Show
Clear All

Something like this?

On top of the original seat, not a "double decker"
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Looks good.....I'd probably want a little more cushion under me, though. How comfortable is it? Is Zerco the brand?

Comment

It's not a 300 mile day seat, but it's really not bad.
        The rear is foam, so the apssenger is sitting on
        about 6 inches of foam.
        The brand is ZERO, I've only seen 1 other bike with that seat.
        Someone on here found a GS in Japan that had the seat.

Couple of guys here asked for measurements........I have the pictures
        with a tape measure on it.
        If anyone wants them, email me I can send them out.
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I removed the front end last night. It went pretty smoothly and now the bike is supported by two jack stands in the front and the center stand in the rear. The only difficult part was removing the steering stem bolt above the top triple clamp and the pinch bolts holding the top triple clamp to the forks- some serious gorilla torque was put on those things by whomever tightened them last.

The bike without a front end kinda looks like a headless horse.

It pretty interesting what you find when you strip your bike down. The choke cable was rather frayed at the carb end, so that needs to be replaced. Also, the plastic headlight bucket has a big crack in it, so that needs to be replaced or plastic welded as well. The existing steering head bearings had barely any grease on them at all, so it's good that they're being renewed.

To mount the headlight and turn signals on the new forks, new headlight brackets have been ordered.

The top triple clamp kit from LSL will replace the stock GSXR 1000 top triple clamp. It has integrated handlebar risers so mounting the new 7/8" handlebars will be a snap.

Also on the way is a very unobtanium (took weeks to locate) 30x47x15 top tapered steering head bearing to mate the Gixxer steering stem with the GS1000 steering head. Also on the way is a new 30x55x17 lower tapered steering head bearing as its unclear how long the old one had been in service.

One of the guys on oldskoolsuzuki.info did a similar front end swap and it looks trick (and shows what my bike will resemble in the end):

Last edited by Guest; 11-07-2006, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bgmart450 View Post
            You may not be able to use the wireless version they require a direct line of sight from the pickup on the wheel to the head unit. Easy to do on a bicycle, but a motorcycle has a lot going on on the bars.

I put the 1600 on my bike and they are pretty accurate. They use tire diameter and revolutions to determine speed.

I am guessing that the back light feature may be temp on when you touch a button, if not you are looking at a shorter battery life. They sell light assemblies you can put right next to them that work ok. It'd save battery life and the make it less often you'd have to enter the odo milage and wheel size.
            They don't all have to be line of sight but they do have a limited range & the batteries don't last that long if you ride a lot.

You can probably bridge the backlight switch in the circuit to get the backlight to stay on & put in a separate switch. Some of them have a "permanent on" facility for nightriding which would be much easier. Another option is to get an external use blue LED set & mount them above it, would have to shield properly though otherwise you'd dazzle yourself. 8-[

You could hardwire the unit to the bike, plenty of 12v - 3v stepdown transformers about in a small size... Just solder straight to the contact, drill a small hole in the battery cover to pass the wires through (tie a knot behind the hole if room to stop from stressing the contacts) & a blob of silicon to make it waterproof. \\/

Lots use these on Kit Cars, so I've seen these questions before. I'm also a mountain biker so I've seen a few of them.

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

so where's an update with pics???

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their advice and comments.

After a fair bit of work and waiting for parts (LSL riser kit, hard to find steering bearings etc) to arrive, I got the Gixxer 1000 front end installed. I had to have the lower race on the Gixxer 1000 steering stem pressed off.

The thuggish musclebike essence of this bike is starting to emerge.

Next comes reattaching the cables and handlebar controls, installing the headlight, bleeding the new stainless brake lines, etc.

I gotta figure out where to mount the steering damper if it's going to stay on the bike.

For grins and giggles, I mocked up the seat and tank on the bike as seen above. I can tell already that the bike will be much more flickable in the corners - it feels much lighter when rocked side to side.

The lowest point of the exhaust collector now sits at 3.25" from the ground. I think it was at around 4" with the old forks so that's not too bad. The frame at its lowest point is over 5" off the ground. I wonder if this will be enough ground clearance to prevent bottoming out the exhaust in the bumps and in the corners now that the bike has vastly improved forks and a radial front tire.

What other exhausts are available for the GS1000 that have better ground clearance? Removing the center stand isn't an issue. And a sportbike exhaust will look better on the bike when it's all said and done. Can you put a GSXR, Katana, or Bandit xxxx exhaust system on the GS1000?
                Last edited by Guest; 11-29-2006, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Looks great! What diameter are the fork tubes at the upper and lower clamp? That gold is mucho nicey, and I wonder if they'll fit in my clamps...:mrgreen:

Comment

160 mm up top as measured from the outside, 173 down by the lower triple clamp.

Comment

Woah, those are BIIIIIGGGG forks... unless you measured the circumference, and not the diameter..=P~

So, diameter is Circumference divided by pi, so that works out to 51mm top, and 55mm bottom, which is not what my clamps are (52/54)... boohoo!

By the way, nice find on the custom bearing - I seem to recall seeing somewhere that you can also press out the steering stems and swap them, then used a shim sleeve at the top or something - your solution is much better.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post

Thanks to everyone for their advice and comments.

After a fair bit of work and waiting for parts (LSL riser kit, hard to find steering bearings etc) to arrive, I got the Gixxer 1000 front end installed. I had to have the lower race on the Gixxer 1000 steering stem pressed off.

The thuggish musclebike essence of this bike is starting to emerge.

Next comes reattaching the cables and handlebar controls, installing the headlight, bleeding the new stainless brake lines, etc.

I gotta figure out where to mount the steering damper if it's going to stay on the bike.

For grins and giggles, I mocked up the seat and tank on the bike as seen above. I can tell already that the bike will be much more flickable in the corners - it feels much lighter when rocked side to side.

The lowest point of the exhaust collector now sits at 3.25" from the ground. I think it was at around 4" with the old forks so that's not too bad. The frame at its lowest point is over 5" off the ground. I wonder if this will be enough ground clearance to prevent bottoming out the exhaust in the bumps and in the corners now that the bike has vastly improved forks and a radial front tire.

What other exhausts are available for the GS1000 that have better ground clearance? Removing the center stand isn't an issue. And a sportbike exhaust will look better on the bike when it's all said and done. Can you put a GSXR, Katana, or Bandit xxxx exhaust system on the GS1000?

kudos to ur efforts m8 - really - well beyond my own

Im not so much a purist i cant see the joy of makin something your own in every way nomatter how sweet the original is....

please get it right though dude - no good lookin wicked cool nasty if it wobbles up at speed

waitin for the next piccy

go hard dude - go hard and be happy

cheers

Phark

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                          After some research, stock speedometer will be replaced/augmented with a digital one from Sigma. I looked into replacing the clocks with GSXR gauges, but the wiring is daunting. The Sigma BC 1606L DTS is easy to install, digital, has a backlight, and has a wireless pickup from the front wheel.

I did the Sigma bicycle computer with my conversion as well. I did not want the computer hanging out on my bars though. I really wanted the look of the gauges to remain somewhat stock. So, I took apart the speedo and put the computer inside. This way not only cleans up the look, but, I can utilize the stock lighting to light up the screen at night. I simply set the computer back off the gauge face to allow the back lighting for the gauge to shine in.

I epoxied the magnet to the rotor and made a bracket to hold the pick-up.

Comment

The computer in the gauge looks great!

Comment

Great idea, and looks good too! What happens when you need to change the bicycle speedo battery? How much battery life do you get from each battery? Or did you hardwire the power input on the speedo to the bike's harness?

Originally posted by Ogri View Post
                              I did the Sigma bicycle computer with my conversion as well. I did not want the computer hanging out on my bars though. I really wanted the look of the gauges to remain somewhat stock. So, I took apart the speedo and put the computer inside. This way not only cleans up the look, but, I can utilize the stock lighting to light up the screen at night. I simply set the computer back off the gauge face to allow the back lighting for the gauge to shine in.

I epoxied the magnet to the rotor and made a bracket to hold the pick-up.

Comment

Thanks for the comments.

I hear ya mate - form always follows function, and safety is paramount. With that in mind, I've been doing all these mods by the book when it comes to front end bolt torque settings, lubing steering stem bearings, installing steering stem races etc. I'll be carefully adjusting the front suspension to find the best settings in terms of preload adjustment and rebound dampening. I want the bike to be rock solid when leaned into turns and when over the ton.

Looks like I need to have a bracket made and welded onto the steering head to install the Gixxer steering damper and prevent any tank slappers or other nonsense.

Originally posted by Pharkmeh View Post
                                kudos to ur efforts m8 - really - well beyond my own

Im not so much a purist i cant see the joy of makin something your own in every way nomatter how sweet the original is....

please get it right though dude - no good lookin wicked cool nasty if it wobbles up at speed

waitin for the next piccy

go hard dude - go hard and be happy

cheers

Phark

Comment

Working...
                                X