No announcement yet.

GS1000 streetfighter idea w/ picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just replaced mine and its been 2 years since I installed it. I'll have to see how long fresh batteries will last.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-29-2006, 06:54 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I checked out the ride height tonight by installing the tank and seat. Before the front end swap, I was on the balls of my feet when straddling the bike. I'm still on the balls of my feet after, but it's maybe a half inch lower, so we're good for ground clearance.

I need to either get a new sidestand or cut the existing one so the bike leans to the left more when parked - it's pretty vertical right now when the sidestand's deployed.

Also need to find a TIG welder to or some other way to make some steering stops on the lower triple tree to keep the forks out of the tank to prevent dents when they're turned all the way to the right and left.
      Last edited by Guest; 12-01-2006, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Paint color

Since it's about 20 degrees in the garage tonight (and my hands went numb after about 10 minutes), I came inside and did a couple of Photoshop mockups of how it'll look after it's painted. I tried a bunch of colors, but I thought black looked best. Black, and black with a skunk stripe. What do you think?

Comment

AWSOME Can't wait to see what that bike looks like when your finished.

Comment

Honestly, I like the first look. I've been known to do weird things when it comes to customizing bikes, but I think a satin or flat black with gloss white logos would look fantastic on that setup. 'Course, flat black can be a pain to keep clean and looking nice, but I've been seeing a lot of "satin" finishes on local euroracers that look absolutely fantastic.

Comment

Yo homey, props fo da mad pshop skillz....

Ok seriously, you can't go wrong with black - especially with the gold forks. (damn, I'm jealous!)...

Comment

Good thing I don't do graphic design for a living.

Yeah, I think a satin or gloss black would look best. The rear rim I have is a Katana 600 4.5x17" three spoke in black, so the black on the tank and side panels will match. I'm still thinking of doing a white skunk stripe in reverence to the 78-79 GS1000s, and to give a little bit of contrast between the seat and tank.

Like this one:

Originally posted by johnnay View Post
                Yo homey, props fo da mad pshop skillz....

Ok seriously, you can't go wrong with black - especially with the gold forks. (damn, I'm jealous!)...

Comment

Originally posted by KGB View Post
                  It's not a 300 mile day seat, but it's really not bad.
                  The rear is foam, so the apssenger is sitting on
                  about 6 inches of foam.
                  The brand is ZERO, I've only seen 1 other bike with that seat.
                  Someone on here found a GS in Japan that had the seat.

Couple of guys here asked for measurements........I have the pictures
                  with a tape measure on it.
                  If anyone wants them, email me I can send them out.
                  It was ME!

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post

I need to either get a new sidestand or cut the existing one so the bike leans to the left more when parked - it's pretty vertical right now when the sidestand's deployed.
                    Cut the stand and weld back the foot.
                    My 2 pennies

Comment

Another bloggish/Dear Diary post - I hope you guys don't mind.

Tonight I installed the new LSL handlebars in their permanent location. They are dead center - 33 cm from the outside of the handlebar riser clamp to the end of the bar on both sides.

After that, I installed the front brake lever and master cylinder reservoir on the bars. I sat on the bike and pushed it around the garage and HOLY CRAP. The difference in rolling resistance between my old Pirelli Sport Demon bias ply and this new Michelin Pilot Power radial front tire is unbelievable. The radial rolls so much more easily, like the bike lost a lot of weight. And it did, actually. The new front end is 15 pounds lighter than the old one.

I also tested out the new front brakes. Wow. Modern sportbike brakes with stainless braided lines are the business. I have the feeling I'm gonna get whiplash the first time I get on the brakes hard. Hello, stoppies.
                      Last edited by Guest; 12-02-2006, 05:13 PM.

Comment

The more I mod this bike, the more I feel like I'm making the 25th anniversary special edition of this classic bike. All the amazingly fun GS1000 you remember, but even better with good tires, brakes, and suspension.

Mods that honor the GS1000's racing past and potential. And I plan on doing some trackdays on this bike once complete and dialed-in.

Kind of like what Kawasaki did with their re-release of the Z1000. Check out this trackday on that bike: http://youtube.com/watch?v=lSRSRG1zVWw

Next comes a custom sportbike exhaust. I don't think I'll have enough ground clearance to really lean it over at high speed without exhaust mods.

GS1100 headers can be mounted on GS1000s, and GS1100 headers can go on GSXR1100s, so you must be able to put a Gixxer 1100 pipe on a GS1000 with some mods.

Can a muffler shop extend muffler pipes? If so, I should be able to have the downpipes on a GSXR 1100 exhaust header extended so the downpipes are a bit longer to fit the GS engine. A 4 into 2 into 1 would allow you to have the collector a ways back, improving ground clearance. Then we're clear for a sportbike exhaust can, and about 4.5-6" of ground clearance up front to be able to really get low...

Like this:

Last edited by Guest; 12-02-2006, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Great idea, and looks good too! What happens when you need to change the bicycle speedo battery? How much battery life do you get from each battery? Or did you hardwire the power input on the speedo to the bike's harness?
                          Thanks.

So far I haven't had it on there long enough to wear out the battery. I didn't hardwire it to the harness. But when I reassebled it I made sure I could get it apart without much adue.

One of these days I'll just hardwire it to the harness and forget it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogri View Post
                            Thanks.

So far I haven't had it on there long enough to wear out the battery. I didn't hardwire it to the harness. But when I reassebled it I made sure I could get it apart without much adue.

One of these days I'll just hardwire it to the harness and forget it.
                            In the 2 years I have had my speedo installed I have probably been without vehicle battery power at least 4 times. The minute you lose power to the speedo you will have reset your milage and wheel size. I'm going to stick with the place-in batteries, unless there is a way to have the place-in batteries as a back up AND vehicle battery power for such a setup. If there is I am all ears

Comment

Not sure about the circuitry, but your computer has the correct setup: your CMOS battery that keeps all of your configuration data when you turn off/unplug your computer. Or the 9v "backup" battery in some alarm clocks. Some of the electrical gurus here should be able to figure it out.

Comment

Tonight I installed the new LSL handlebars in their permanent location. They are dead center - 33 mm from the outside of the handlebar riser clamp to the end of the bar on both sides.
                                'Splain this to me.
                                Are you saying that the bars are 3.3cm long?
                                Did you mean 33cm?

Comment

Working...
                                X