GS1000 streetfighter idea w/ picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front end near completion

A picture and an update. First, the picture.

The front end installation is almost complete. All that remains is making a couple of steering stops, reattaching the throttle cable at the bars, and some wiring jobs - wiring up the new electronic Electrosport 3700 speedo/tacho when it arrives, wiring up the new ignition switch when the UPS man delivers it, and reconnecting all the controls back to the harness.

Speaking of the UPS man, he brought a titanium 2006 Gixxer 1000 4 into 2 into 1 header today. \\/

The exhaust port diameter appears to be the same (!) between the bikes as far as I can tell without yet taking off the V&H header (40 mm) so this swap may be easier than I thought. I spoke with a muffler shop and will be taking both headers over on Saturday to discuss how to install the new header on the bike. The Gixxer header is taller than the GS engine, and the pipes are more closely spaced than the GS exhaust ports, so a bit of careful cutting, bending and rewelding should yield a 4 into 2 into 1 header with about 4.5-6" of ground clearance at the lowest point. This will overcome the current ground clearance issue with the existing V&H header with its two pipe thick collector.

Thanks for reading, and to everyone for their help.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-08-2006, 03:15 AM.

Comment

wow, looks good! your headlight looks a bit high - a little lower would lend the bike a bit 'meaner' look to it IMHO. Or some dual headlights would look awesome too. I'm lovin it - keep the pics coming!!\\/

Comment

Thanks man. Here's a Photoshopped (poorly ) version in black. Still looks pretty stock. What do you think?

Last edited by Guest; 12-08-2006, 06:02 PM.

Comment

looking pretty good. I would say, flip those headlight brackets over though, and lower that light down a couple inches. Just my opinion though looks good as is

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
            Sweet! What model of GS do you have, and which GSXR forks are you putting on it?

PS - Wish that Kat were mine - that guy is doing an amazing job.
            I"ve got a 83 GS1100ES and i'm using 93 GSXR750 forks. My biggest worry is the exhaust header. I currently have a 4-1 Yosh, and i'm worried abou damaging it (such a nice header)

Comment

Thanks man. Here's a Photoshopped (poorly ) version in black. Still looks pretty stock. What do you think?

very nice man. SHow us some pics of that exhaust when it's done.

I might even ask ya to do the same for my GS, cause that would be plain awsome. We don't get these kinda shops as much up here in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Druro View Post
                very nice man. SHow us some pics of that exhaust when it's done.

I might even ask ya to do the same for my GS, cause that would be plain awsome. We don't get these kinda shops as much up here in Canada.
                I'll post the exhaust specs drawing once I get it figured out.

Comment

I'll post the exhaust specs drawing once I get it figured out.
                  Thanks mate, that's awesome.

Comment

Still working on the exhaust dimensions and specification diagram.

Now leaning toward doing a Gixxer 1000 monoshock conversion in the back now too - much easier to find parts, allows for a wider 180 rear tire, handles better, looks better, etc etc. Anyone have some info on how to do this?

Putting new shoes on this bike is pretty fun - kinda like going from Chuck Taylors to Air Jordans.
                    Last edited by Guest; 12-11-2006, 10:51 PM.

Comment

OK, so the 2006 Gixxer 1000 header looks like it will fit on the GS1000 with some mods and design.

Please let me know what you think - I'm going to take this to a muffler shop and get it done using their pipe bending expertise.

If any of these numbers wind up being off, I'll post a correction.

Here are some pictures to illustrate:

In order to clear the horizontal cross member on the front of the frame, the header must be straight for 10 cm at a 36 degree angle. It must then bend and then go in the straightest line possible for 33 to 34 cm to clear the oil filter cover.

The angle of the Gixxer exhaust pipes must be decreased by 9 degrees to get them to match the GS exhaust ports.

V&H pipe showing 10 cm clearance on inside of curve to clear GS frame:

The spacing between the downpipes must be changed. The values in outside the parentheses are what the Gixxer spacing currently is, the values inside parentheses are what they are on the GS Vance and Hines pipe.

The braces must be removed, and the downpipes completely straightened to rebend into the custom shape.

The outer diameter of the V&H downpipes is 43 mm, the GSXR downpipe has a 39-40 mm OD. So, it has to be reduced by a few mm. We'll probably wind up using the flanges from the V&H to reattach the header to the engine.

The final pipe on the header needs to be bent down flat and a custom midpipe needs to be fabbed up.

Total length of each Gixxer midpipe from start to the first collector weld is 51 cm.

If I've measured and calculated right, I should have *just* enough length in downpipes before the collectors to mount on the GS exhaust ports and clear the bottom of the engine.
                      Last edited by Guest; 12-12-2006, 03:31 AM.

Comment

Is this idea for the header even within the realm of possibility? I know nothing about bending and welding titanium.

Thanks!

Comment

To do all that rebending and welding it almost seems as though you would be better off having the exhaust shop bend you up some new sstuff, but I doubt you will get titanium.

Comment

Originally posted by BSinCO13 View Post
                            To do all that rebending and welding it almost seems as though you would be better off having the exhaust shop bend you up some new sstuff, but I doubt you will get titanium.
                            Starting to think the same thing. Another option may be to have the V&H pipe altered to use a 4 into 2 into 1 collector. The main issue here is ground clearance - don't really care what the header is made of so long as it won't bottom out - although Ti would be cool. 8)

We'll see what the exhaust guy has to say.
                            Last edited by Guest; 12-12-2006, 05:56 PM.

Comment

I'm sorry to have to say this but I think you are right. If it almost fitted then you would be in with a fighting chance, pretty well anything can be made to fit but this just looks like too much work to be viable. Look for a system for a GSXR 750 slab-side, I cant vouch for them all but that's what my one was made for & fits like a glove.

Put yours on ebay after the holiday, you never know you may ever make a profit;-)

Comment

Pan-

Thanks for the tip on the slabby exhaust mate! 8) \\/

The late model Gixxer exhaust was worth a shot. Time to turn it around.

Originally posted by pan View Post
                                I'm sorry to have to say this but I think you are right. If it almost fitted then you would be in with a fighting chance, pretty well anything can be made to fit but this just looks like too much work to be viable. Look for a system for a GSXR 750 slab-side, I cant vouch for them all but that's what my one was made for & fits like a glove.

Put yours on ebay after the holiday, you never know you may ever make a profit;-)

Comment

Working...
                                X