No announcement yet.

GS1000 streetfighter idea w/ picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You had me worried when you mentioned "straightening the downpipe out." Thats askin for cracks, especially in Ti. Metal usually work hardens as you deform it. As it hardens, it gets more brittle. You would need to anneal it back "normallize" it, but I don't know how much your going to get by annealling since its an exhaust, and spends a lot of time at pretty high heat. I don't know that much about Ti, but the stainless Y-pipes and manifolds they put in cars are a b_tch to make. First you mandrel bend em, then they go through annealing, and depending on the system, they have more processing (welding, bending, hydroforming). The company I used to work for split about 10 percent of the tubes made in a day.

Comment

Which headers from other Suzuki bikes will fit on the GS1000? Really need a replacement for the V&H to move forward with this project.

Wonder if the early GSXR 1100 headers would fit on a GS1000 since I'm pretty sure the GSXR 1100 headers fit on a GS1100, and the GS1100 headers fit on a GS1000, so I hear. Biggest criteria is that it needs to be a 4 into 2 into 1 for ground clearance. FWIW, Vance and Hines and D&D make new complete systems for the GSXR 750 slabbies.

Something like this 89 GSXR 1100 header:

EDIT:

The spacing looks about right on this 89 stock header:

Last edited by Guest; 12-13-2006, 02:25 AM.

Comment

I have a mid-90's Yoshi header from an gix11, but as i see it from a quick mockup, it would need larder diameter primaries to fit the motor, and the flanges would need to be modified for wider bolt spacing.

Comment

Headers for your project?

On my 1983 GS750ES, I installed a GSX750F D&D exhaust system and it fits. This system is a 4-2-1 configuration. I don't know what the differences are between my GS750 16V motor and your motor but if there aren't any then this approach will give you the ground clearance your looking for. Some experts here that know both engines might be able to help.

Comment

I hope its April Fools day...

A bike that nice deserves better than to be cut up. Buy a GSXwhatever if that's what trips your trigger, Dude. Too many people wish they had bikes as nice as yours for you to go hacking on it...

That'd be a crime. yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by wharrah View Post
              A bike that nice deserves better than to be cut up. Buy a GSXwhatever if that's what trips your trigger, Dude. Too many people wish they had bikes as nice as yours for you to go hacking on it...

That'd be a crime. yikes.
              I don't understand this attitude. Please explain.

What's the matter with upgrading the suspension and hopping up the engine on what is really an old race/sport bike?

To make it run and handle better than new?
              Last edited by Guest; 12-13-2006, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Sweet! How do you like that exhaust system on your bike? Do you remember what year Gixxer 750 the header came from?

Originally posted by Mario Padilla View Post
                On my 1983 GS750ES, I installed a GSX750F D&D exhaust system and it fits. This system is a 4-2-1 configuration. I don't know what the differences are between my GS750 16V motor and your motor but if there aren't any then this approach will give you the ground clearance your looking for. Some experts here that know both engines might be able to help.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                  Sweet! How do you like that exhaust system on your bike? Do you remember what year Gixxer 750 the header came from?
                  GSX750F = the US Katana models, bsaically unchanged from the inception until now, 88 to 99 for sure (motor wise) all air cooleds/
                  dunno anything about the y2k's or beyond except the 02's (?) are when they started the 6 spd trannies.
                  Makes me wanna try to see if the tranny would fit in one of my 86 gixxers.

Comment

Thanks for the info Busafied. I'm going to call some exhaust manufacturers and see if they'll share a bit of header data.

Might as well try and see if that tranny will fit - worst case, you put it back where it was.

Originally posted by Busafied View Post
                    GSX750F = the US Katana models, bsaically unchanged from the inception until now, 88 to 99 for sure (motor wise) all air cooleds/
                    dunno anything about the y2k's or beyond except the 02's (?) are when they started the 6 spd trannies.
                    Makes me wanna try to see if the tranny would fit in one of my 86 gixxers.

Comment

where did you find your headlight brackets I was going to fab mine from the gs brackets but yours look so much cleaner

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by newbomb View Post
                        where did you find your headlight brackets I was going to fab mine from the gs brackets but yours look so much cleaner

Rich
                        These are them: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Unive...7987QQtcZphoto

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                          I don't understand this attitude. Please explain.

What's the matter with upgrading the suspension and hopping up the engine on what is really an old race/sport bike?

To make it run and handle better than new?
                          80GS1000,

Maybe I got it wrong.

On this website, many of us live to make engines run better, and fix up suspensions. WE all customize our bikes at least some. That's GREAT. WE are all different. I just personally think less is more when it comes to body-plastic on a crotch-rocket...

But, Hey, its your bike. You can make it into a unicycle if you like. I just think to take a bike as nice as yours and cover it with a truckload of plastic (if that is what you intended) is just a waste... that's all... Your bike is a GS. Why make it into some hayabusa lookalike?

That's all I meant, since you had asked. Hope it turns out the way you want it to.

Comment

Wharrah-

I had this idea about 3.5 months ago that went like this: what would a Gixxer 1000 crossed with a GS 1000 look like? So I spent some time in Photoshop mocking it up.

Then I realized that not only that I didn't like it, but it didn't look like a GS anymore. Too much GSXR, not enough GS. And I LOVE my GS.

So I shifted directions with this project - to put a modern suspension on this incredible bike, and to mod up the engine for more power.

I want an oldschool bruiser of a musclebike, and that's where this project is headed.

In the end, I hope it'll look like one of these bikes, haul even more @$$ than it does now, and handle like the classic Wes Cooley AMA-race winning racebike that it is. You with me? :mrgreen:

Originally posted by wharrah View Post
                            80GS1000,

Maybe I got it wrong.

On this website, many of us live to make engines run better, and fix up suspensions. WE all customize our bikes at least some. That's GREAT. WE are all different. I just personally think less is more when it comes to body-plastic on a crotch-rocket...

But, Hey, its your bike. You can make it into a unicycle if you like. I just think to take a bike as nice as yours and cover it with a truckload of plastic (if that is what you intended) is just a waste... that's all... Your bike is a GS. Why make it into some hayabusa lookalike?

That's all I meant, since you had asked. Hope it turns out the way you want it to.

Comment

Sweet change in direction.You've sort of steered me that way as well. That way away from the lowering and blackout industrialization I was thinking of. Well, not totally away from it...
                              My project doesn't really get underway until Feb/March 07 so I'm just soaking up the ideas and knowledge. (Solidworks and Photoshopping too while I wait.)
                              Anyway, a monoshock, I think, would shove it too far toward Gxxr, and I'm really grooving on the WASP like yellow and black shocks on the Yoshi pics you've shown here. I'e now got a 1980 GS750 in the stable and can take header measurements if you think you need em.

Comment

Justin-

Having a hard time deciding on the rear suspension issue. Should I stay with the original twinshock rear design, or fully modernize the suspension and go with the monoshock?

The pros of the twinshock setup: more true to the original look of the bike. Easier to set up - the GS1100/Katana 1100 swinger would bolt in with no mods, shocks bolt right up. 4.5x17" wheel bolts right up. No frame mods required. Only moderately difficult part is fabbing up a brake torque arm bracket for the bottom of the swinger, and getting a TIG welder to slap it on for you.

Cons: Have you tried to find a GS1100/Katana 1100 swinger in good shape lately? They're like trying to find a breath of air at the bottom of the ocean. :shock: The old swingarms aren't braced stock, and since this bike is destined for the track, that's a bad thing. Custom braced swingers from JMC/Metmachex are available, but they're EXTREMELY expensive - about $1000.

Monoshock rear suspension pros: Parts much easier to find, and much cheaper. Wider 5.5-6.0" rim becomes and option, and so does modern sportbike rubber width like a 180 section rear tire. Handles better, and looks TRICK.

Cons: Must design and weld frame mods carefully. Big offset front sprocket required. A fair bit of fabrication required. Looks different than the original bike design.

Originally posted by justin caise View Post
                                Sweet change in direction.You've sort of steered me that way as well. That way away from the lowering and blackout industrialization I was thinking of. Well, not totally away from it...
                                My project doesn't really get underway until Feb/March 07 so I'm just soaking up the ideas and knowledge. (Solidworks and Photoshopping too while I wait.)
                                Anyway, a monoshock, I think, would shove it too far toward Gxxr, and I'm really grooving on the WASP like yellow and black shocks on the Yoshi pics you've shown here. I'e now got a 1980 GS750 in the stable and can take header measurements if you think you need em.
                                Last edited by Guest; 12-14-2006, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X