No announcement yet.

GS1000 streetfighter idea w/ picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah that sounds about right but i think there is a little room for play, maybe getter down to around 1800 or so i hope. I think under cut tranny is a little over kill, unless doing AMA vitage races and really going balls out. other things sound about right, may have a little wiggle room here and there for some stuff.

you could save a little more money just using your stock cv carbs with a re jet, that should get you by for a while. for the time being you could just get a 1100 gk head ported or even just swap one on, run stg 3 carbs do the litlte things that can be reused for the big project, then focus on getting the rest of the bike set up,

you may want to look into falcon i think they insist on rebuilding your crank, before they weld it, which might not be a bad idea for a bike with 20k miles on it?

also could look here too see if he has good prices for a rebuild and a crank pimp. http://www.grccranks.com/

i decided to get my suspention and everything elese sorted out on my bike first before going with more power, seems like it would be more healthy that way.

good work researching

-ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post

i decided to get my suspention and everything elese sorted out on my bike first before going with more power, seems like it would be more healthy that way.

-ryan
      Thanks for all the tips!

Right with you on getting the suspension sorted before adding more power to the mix.

Spent most of the afternoon today removing the stock GS1000 rear end in preparation for the '06 GSXR 1000 monoshock conversion.

Work-in-progress pic first, plan after.

Some observations:

GS swingarm is 225 mm wide at the pivot, the GSXR swinger is 231 mm. So each side of the frame at the pivot needs to be widened by 3 mm. A bit of gentle massaging with a grinder will be required. The GS pivot bolt is 17.5 mm in diameter, the GSXR pivot bolt is 23.5 mm. A bushing for the GS pivot for use inside the GSXR swinger will have to be made, or the hole in the frame where the pivot bolt mounts up will need to be widened.

All the electricals behind the side panels will need to be moved as room for the monoshock needs to be made. I like the look of the side panels so they're staying on the bike. The battery will need to go in the tailpiece (thanks YJ for that tip) and and R/R and fusebox will be mounted horizontally where the airbox used to be. Gotta source some new smoothbore 29/33 mm carbs and K&N pods.

With the electricals and airbox out of the way, a few new spacers will need to be made to mount the lower portion of the monoshock to the centerstand bracket. Then a bracket needs to be designed to mount the upper portion of the monoshock, bolted onto a new frame cross-spar, which will then be welded to the frame. New criss-cross (X shaped) frame bracing above this cross-spar will ensure proper load distribution.

Then it's on to the offset front sprocket, 520 chain conversion, and welding plates onto the frame to install the GSXR rearsets.
      Last edited by Guest; 01-22-2007, 02:40 AM.

Comment

for laughs, give http://www.sudco.com/ a call and see what they say about carbs, they where the big supplier of race stuff back in the day and know their stuff.

you ever think about mounting your electrics under your seat on some aluminum. if i get a chance i'll take a pic.

look here too for carbs
        This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
        Last edited by first timer; 01-22-2007, 09:10 PM.
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
          for laughs, give http://www.sudco.com/ a call and see what they say about carbs, they where the big supplier of race stuff back in the day and know their stuff.

you ever think about mounting your electrics under your seat on some aluminum. if i get a chance i'll take a pic.

look here too for carbs
          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...7&postcount=17
          Thanks for the tips. I'll give Sudco a shout soon to get pricing and availability. I was thinking of mounting the electricals horizontally under the seat where the airbox used to be. We'll have to see if that turns out to be a viable solution. I'd love to see a pic of how you did it if you get a chance.

From searching the forum, the early GSXR 750/1100 36/38mm carbs with pods seem to be the way to go on the 80 GS1000.

Found out from from calling APE today that their GS1100/1150 clutch hub assembly and basket can be special ordered for a GS1000, which is great. That'll be probably be one of the first engine modifications aside from bigger carbs and pods, as the clutch appears to be the weakest link in these motors per that link you included. Plus the clutch can be swapped out pretty easily.

Thanks again,

PJ
          Last edited by Guest; 01-23-2007, 12:25 AM.

Comment

here are some pics

hope these help
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x

Comment

82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x

Comment

Thanks for the pics Ryan! Great work there. Really like your electrical board and the custom aluminum rear fender. Where'd you stuff the battery - in the tailpiece?

Comment

here is the info on the battery

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

-ryan
                  82 Kat 1000 Project
                  05 CRF450x

Comment

Variation on the theme...........

:-D

YJ

oh it's changed since this pic, it's more pared down and better finished

Comment

Damn that electronics repositioning looks pretty cool. Could we see a shot from far away from the side of the bike?

Comment

Originally posted by isaac View Post
                        Damn that electronics repositioning looks pretty cool. Could we see a shot from far away from the side of the bike?

Will it still get air flow under the tank/seat area?

R/R need cooling air.
                        Keith
                        -------------------------------------------
                        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

A quick update-

No new pics today, camera battery's dead.

Today the battery, battery box, electronics, rear fender, and aft portion of the airbox got removed in order to test fit the '06 Gixxer 1000 swingarm.

The width of the Gixxer swingarm at the pivot bolt looks just about perfect at 225 mm - the same as the GS1000 swingarm.

The only problem encountered was the portion of the frame where the passenger footrests and exhaust mounts are located. They hit the new swingarm at its widest point.

That frame triangle will need to be cut off and filed smooth on both sides of the frame so that the swingarm can be mounted and to clean up the lines of the bike. As a bonus, those bits of tubular steel will be perfect for frame bracing material.

I'll keep the stock driver footpeg mounting points to make the bike more comfortable on long rides - otherwise it's gonna be Gixxer 1000 rearsets for canyon carving and around town. I test fitted the Gixxer 1k rearset shifter which fit perfectly on the GS shift shaft.

The cutting points are in red in the photo below. Both sides will be done.

The new '06 Gixxer 1000 6x17" rear rim also arrived today. Can't wait to get it fitted. It and the new swingarm are SOOO much lighter than their GS equivalents.

Also ordered a stage 3 Dynojet kit and a set of K&N pod filters for the carbs.
                          Last edited by Guest; 01-30-2007, 12:15 AM.

Comment

WOW this thing is looking great, it's pretty close to what I want to do except to a 1150. Hope to see more pictures and goodluck on the project. :-D

Comment

I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of offset sprocket you will need in order to clear the rim. I will have a similar problem if I decide to go with the 5 1/2 " Astralite instead of the 4 1/2" spoked wheel. Do you think it will need an out rigger bearing to support it?

Mark...

Comment

Originally posted by pan View Post
                                I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of offset sprocket you will need in order to clear the rim. I will have a similar problem if I decide to go with the 5 1/2 " Astralite instead of the 4 1/2" spoked wheel. Do you think it will need an out rigger bearing to support it?

Mark...
                                My blind guess is that the front sprocket offset will need to be in the 12-16 mm range to fit make a GSXR 1000 6x17" rim with a 180/190 tire work. Since I'll be using a 520 chain, and the GSXR 1000 and GS 1000 have the same spline pattern on the output shaft, I'll just go ahead and use the GSXR 1000 520 front and rear sprockets and play around with the offset till it's straight front and back. (GSXR 520 front sprocket. GS front sprocket. 1.25 mm spacer, 6 mm spacer.)

I'm not concerned about the rear sprocket and cush drive on this setup as it was designed to work with this tire and rim configuration.

What rear sprocket and cush drive combo are you planning on using? That plus your front offset will ensure clearance.

Is that a magnesium wheel? Droooool.

PJ
                                Last edited by Guest; 01-31-2007, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X