GS1000 streetfighter idea w/ picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnnay View Post
    Wow, this surprises me - my 04 GSXR 600 swingarm without the dust covers is just an RCH unit wider (226mm) than the GS frame (225mm), and 4mm a side bigger with the dust covers (233mm). Does your swingarm fit with the dust covers and all, or did you have to remove them? I may have to get an 06 swingarm if it does.
    Dust covers (part #7 here) were removed. Otherwise, it was about 2 mm too wide on both sides. With those covers gone, it slots in perfectly. For giggles and grins, I checked for side to side play on the swingarm, and there was none. Still needs a bushing machined so that the GS pivot bolt can be used in the GSXR swingarm.

I take it you're monoshocking the 1100? As an FYI (you may already know this), the 05 and 06 GSXR 1000 swingarms are the same width.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-04-2007, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dink View Post
      EEEK!!!! the dreaded red X :shock: 8-[

Dink
      Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
      Working better now? Seems that Internet Explorer is much fussier about image URLs than Firefox - ie domain.com/imagename.jpg will work in Firefox, but you have to put the "www" in front of the domain name in Internet Explorer for it to work, ie www.domain.com/imagename.jpg. Anyways, hope it's working now for you.
      Much gooder-er thank you Sir:-D

Dink

Comment

Looking good PJ........

:-D

YJ

Comment

OK, without culling thru 25 pages...I see USD forks with regular handlebars/mounts. That a kit purchased from say, Speigler, or are you a lucky guy with access to a machine shop?? :-D
          Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius086 View Post
            OK, without culling thru 25 pages...I see USD forks with regular handlebars/mounts. That a kit purchased from say, Speigler, or are you a lucky guy with access to a machine shop?? :-D
            It's a 2004 GSXR 1000 front end. You're right on the money in terms of the Spiegler handlebar/mount kit. Very nice CNC machining on that kit, and as a bonus, it came with braided steel brake lines for the front end.

The riding position is great - about the same as with the old bars as seen in the pic on page 1 of this thread.
            Last edited by Guest; 02-04-2007, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Carbs and airbox - who needs 'em?

Gotta now get these items fitted:

Going to pods should be worth the price of admission if only because the airbox will never ever have to be removed again. Giant PITA for sure.

Tomorrow's garage session will be entitled- Introduction to Front Sprocket Area Sludge Cleaning, The Intersection and Effects of 27 Years of Road Grime and Chain Lube.

A bottle of Simple Green and putty knife are standing by.

Last but not least, check out the width difference between a 130 rim/tire (stock GS1000) and a 180 (stock GSXR 1000) rim/tire:

Last edited by Guest; 02-05-2007, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Carbs are being jetted by a long-time NHRA drag racer who's been building out racing GS engines since they were new. \\/

Any tips on front sprocket removal? The nut that holds on the front sprocket won't budge a mm. First attempts at getting it to move just turned the engine over. So, I put the chain back on the front sprocket, had my wife stand on the chain (about where the swingarm would normally be) to keep the sprocket from turning toward the engine, and leaned into the 18" ratchet as hard as possible. Wouldn't budge. Is an impact wrench in the cards?
                Last edited by Guest; 02-06-2007, 12:59 AM.

Comment

is it reverse threaded? I have a shaft drive, so have never had to change a sprocket and I am just throwing a WAG out there

Comment

check the direction of threads, make sure the locking tab is is not folded over and locking the nut, hook the back tire and rear break and chain back up, have a friend/wife stand on the break and give it a try with the impact wrench, just go easy, don't get carried away with the impact wrench it should break loose sooner or later, you can also try adding a little heat to the nut to see if that helps.
                    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                    82 Kat 1000 Project
                    05 CRF450x
                    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Damn that thing looks great with that big back wheel and swingarm. Nicely done!

Comment

Originally posted by isaac View Post
                        Yeah, man... your project is coming along nicely! Major kudos.
                        BTW, I love my pods. I can't imagine trying to jet and tune carbs with some kind of airbox on it.
                        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by isaac
                          Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                          Yeah, man... your project is coming along nicely! Major kudos.
                          BTW, I love my pods. I can't imagine trying to jet and tune carbs with some kind of airbox on it.
                          Thanks guys. Although we're just getting started on what will probably be the hardest part of this whole project thus far - getting the monoshock mounts right.

YoshiJohnny did it right. Major respect for that.

They determine a bunch of important stuff, like rake/trail, ground clearance, chain clearance, ride height, sufficient travel for the rear tire, stability, overall safety etc etc. Gotta get it right. So ya gotta take it slow, take lots of measurements, engineer things carefully etc.

The upside of this complete suspension change will be a bike that handles vastly better than stock. Planted, very stable high speed/angle cornering. And much better braking. And a 180 Michelin hanging out back looks pretty cool too.

I'll bring the bike to the Yosemite GSR get-together.
                          Last edited by Guest; 02-07-2007, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                            I'll bring the bike to the Yosemite GSR get-together.
                            Cool! I hope my project is done by then. It's been going s l o w the last few weeks.
                            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                            79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                              Cool! I hope my project is done by then. It's been going s l o w the last few weeks.
                              Same here! Big incentive for me right now to get the suspension mods done is the fact that spring is rapidly approaching - I want to ride the thing! :-D

Comment

Wow, your project is flying right along! Looking good. Sorry about the rear wheel. Same thing happened with my radial front master. "Perfect condition. Won't be disappointed!" Yeah, perfect minus the fact the reservior is rashed and the juntion for the line to the reservior is crushed.

Take pics of everything. Most of us on here are guys=VISUAL!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X