GS1000 streetfighter idea w/ picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by first timer View Post
    looking good, just starting to sort out my plans for my 1k. If you get a chance could you take a few pics of your rear sets and how you mounted them, i have a set of 05 gsxr ones waiting to go on.
    Here are some details on the rearsets: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...923#post731923

Comment

Hey PJ

header loosk good; I'm looking for something also for the GS1100ED.
      What modifications did you end up having to do to the
      header? Any source for it?
      Posplayr

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        header loosk good; I'm looking for something also for the GS1100ED.
        What modifications did you end up having to do to the
        header? Any source for it?
        Posplayr
        Aside from cutting off the collars and flanges from the V&H header and welding them onto the Hindle GSXR 1100 header, the Gixxer 1100 header is untouched. It bolted right up. Needs to get ceramic coated eventually to give it a durable, consistent black finish.

Got the pipe on eBay, like most of the other parts on this bike.

On an otherwise stock bike you probably would have to remove the centerstand and without rearsets *might* run into an issue where the brake pedal/footrest touches the exhaust's midpipe.

And you were *ripping* around on your 1100 in the twisties.
        Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2008, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Looks great, I like the paint alot. How's the powerband with those cams? Notice a bit more topend? Im putting the same ones in my 1085 motor I'm building for my 750.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbash 27 View Post
            Looks great, I like the paint alot. How's the powerband with those cams? Notice a bit more topend? Im putting the same ones in my 1085 motor I'm building for my 750.
            A GS 7/11? Niiiiice.

With the gearing stock at at 2.8 (17 front, 48 rear on 520 chain), the powerband starts at 4000 RPM and goes like warp speed up to redline. MUCH MUCH MUCH more midrange and topend. I have a hard time keeping the front end on the ground in 1st and 2nd when accelerating at WOT. Hope you like power wheelies.

Are you going to be using high lift valve springs? Web Camshaft sells a set of Kibblewhite high lift valve springs for the GS1000 motor if you need them.

Also, you might want to look into getting a Pingel petcock to keep up with the increased demand for gas and avoid stumbling due to fuel starvation....

Comment

oh, Im already running a pingel and 29mm smoothbores on the 750 that will got on the 1085. I got ape high lift springs in a ported head. Im doing everything from the ground up. I replaced every seal and gasket in the entire motor. Cleaned every single part and crevice. Loctite on every nut and bolt, etc.

Did you use stock cam gears or adjustable gears?

Comment

oh, Im already running a pingel and 29mm smoothbores on the 750 that will got on the 1085. I got ape high lift springs in a ported head. Im doing everything from the ground up. I replaced every seal and gasket in the entire motor. Cleaned every single part and crevice. Loctite on every nut and bolt, etc.

Dude, that's gonna be a beast. How much longer you think till you take the maiden voyage? It's gonna dislocate your shoulders from pulling so hard. You have a project thread? I'd like to see your progress....

I got a set of Falicon adjustable cam gears for the GS1000, degreed in. Dunno if they're commercially available anymore; an oldskool GS dragbike mechanic locally had them sitting on a shelf. Are you using a manual camchain tensioner?

Comment

who ported your head?

are you doing anything with the clutch or clutch basket?

i have heard and read from many sources that it is the weak point of a built motor. You don't want your clutch to go bang and take out your oil pump.

either of you guys try fitting 750 oil pump gears in a gs1000 motor?

78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                  82 Kat 1000 Project
                  05 CRF450x
                  10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Well Im waiting to send the crank out to be done. But Im a bit low on funds now. I figure motor will be built and complete end of august. Then I will have to take out my 750 motor. I will be doing some things to the bike such as changing gauges, possibly putting 37mm gs1000 forks on from the donor bike, and major cleaning from all the grime and leaking fluid over the years from the original motor.

I did not make a thread. I dont like typing alot. I was going to use stock cams gears, but maybe I should buy a set of ape adjustable gears. I got to learn to do the valve timing stuff.

I also did a gorilla clutch kit myself. I bought the kit and ape clutch nut. High volume oil gears, replaced all philip bolts inside motor. I did not get a manual adjuster yet but I will. All new intake boots, clamps, stainless bolts everywhere, all genuine suzuki gaskets. Plus im torqueing every single nut and bolt to spec.

When you mentioned power wheelies, you made me smile!!

Comment

what bolts did you use on inside of the motor new philips?

you got a part number list of all the little seals and what not i need to order for when i tear down my motor and build it from the crank up?

I can look the stuff up but if you already did.....

ok cool that will help, I am hope the 16v gs750 oil gears i have are the same as above. I think they are.
                      Last edited by first timer; 07-30-2008, 11:41 PM.
                      82 Kat 1000 Project
                      05 CRF450x

Comment

ace hardware allen bolts, back and forth matching them up every day. I ordered every gasket from bikebandit. I went through every diagram and picked everything. Of course i forgot a few seals and gaskets here and there, but I made a second order, than decided to to make another order. I must have spent almost $450 on gaskets, seals, misc bolts, washers, intake boots, just from bike bandit. I have the list downstairs in my garbage can with about 90% of the stuff. I bought the gs1000 donor bike for $125 and spent about $2500 on this motor already, the crank work will be about another $600.

Comment

don't get me started. i know what you mean i am doing my price and part list now and it adds up quick. You running dyna s ignition?

I am working with Speedy steve over on old skool and he is a big fan of the msd mc-3 ignition if you are looking to burn a few more dollars.

word of advice speedy steve (ex drag racer) was recomending that to help pay for all this work once it's done start taking it to weekend drags.

ace hardware allen bolts, back and forth matching them up every day. I ordered every gasket from bikebandit. I went through every diagram and picked everything. Of course i forgot a few seals and gaskets here and there, but I made a second order, than decided to to make another order. I must have spent almost $450 on gaskets, seals, misc bolts, washers, intake boots, just from bike bandit. I have the list downstairs in my garbage can with about 90% of the stuff. I bought the gs1000 donor bike for $125 and spent about $2500 on this motor already, the crank work will be about another $600.
                          82 Kat 1000 Project
                          05 CRF450x

Comment

OK I'm still a little confused

PJ,

Earlier you said you thought you needed to take about 2-3 inches off of the down tube length. This is probably before you did any cutting on the pipes. In reallity all you had to do was cut off the last 3 inches of the pipe and weld on the V&H collars and flanges. I have been looking at those Hindle pipes over and over looking for a cut but could not find one. Was going to write you must have a hell of a welder.

Bottom line the pipes fit further back than you originally thought and so the 2-3 inches out of the down tubes was not required. You also thought you were going to have to modify the mid tube? Sounds like other than getting the muffler to fit there was little in the way of clearance problems.

Sounds like an awesome solution. I wish I would have looked at it closer in Carson City. With your success, I'm looking to adapt one of the GSXR1100 headers to my Yoshi ; it is OK for the time being but it isn't in good enough shape to ceramic coat. All part of a longer term plan for GSXR conversion.

Posplayr

Comment

Looks Great!

I just had to give you props on an excellent job 80GS1000. Ive been following this thread for some time and its really cool to see you get want you want out of your bike. We are all so lucky that people like you are on this site helping everyone with what aftermarket/custom stuff works on the GS1000. Your bike looks GREAT and I hope to see it someday in person. Mabye the next Western states rally.

Comment

Working...
                              X