GS1000 streetfighter idea w/ picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
    There are 4 covers bolted on with phillips head bolts in the pic below, what are their functions? Also, what does the spring loaded thing in the bottom left do?
    The one with 3 screws around the bearing is a retainer for said bearing,to the left of that with 4 screws is the output shaft end plate, the plate at the top is the end of the oil gallery

The thing at the bottom is the selector pawl, the shaft off the back of that on the LHS runs through the engine & your gear lever is fitted to the end of that to the right of that with the 2 screws in the retaining plate is the selector drum

Tone

Comment

im about to start page 66, but i had a few questions i HAD to get out before i forgot them.

Originally posted by Mark M View Post
      I believe most of the people doing this swap used a GS500 sprocket carrier and cush drive, which is significantly narrower than the GSXR parts.

Mark

would this have been a viable option to relieve your +6mm on the leftside of the rear wheel for chain alignment?

Well, after reviewing a couple of photos, I decided that the design of the lower shock mount needed to be revisited, so we tore out the old design and fabbed up a new one.

Most importantly, the way I had the linkage and shock mounted didn't allow for sufficient travel in the linkage, which resulted in the swingarm trying to tear the tabs out of the frame without transmitting that force into the shock. Plus, I didn't like how much force was going to be exerted on two unbraced tabs that were welded only at two relatively small points, so that needed to be addressed.

This is the linkage and shock from a stock GSXR, note the position of the dogbone bolt relative to the shock bolt.

Now look how I had mine mounted.

Big, possibly disastrous difference.

So we fixed it. New frame crossmember tacked onto the centerstand crossmember, and two fat tabs made from 1/2" square tubing, welded in solid to a piece of rectangular tubing.

The suspension now works and is mounted in the way that those very smart Suzuki mechanical engineers intended.

the finished redo and the stock GSXR still dont match up, what gives? loaded vs unloaded? good as it gets? more/less rake?

Comment

one more:

8trackmind-

Here's some more photos for you. This is how I ran these rearsets for about 1000 miles on the road last summer, worked great. Never ground out a footpeg while leaned over all the way.

you have two different rearsets right to left, or at least the guards are. k4 and k6, maybe? why is that?

back to reading

Comment

did you have to modify the frame at all or get a off set for the sprocket so the chain would not rub the chain looks like a 530 am i right ?

Comment

Just saw the post with the pictures of the rearsets. The reason that the guards are different is because I have the others!!!! Just joking about having the actual others, but in reality, my brake lever heelguard has the holes while my shift lever heelguard has the slots. Different year GSXR rearsets scrounged up from ebay for my GS650g Cafe project. Stainless brake lines and paint will complete my project.

Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by jed.only View Post
              im about to start page 66, but i had a few questions i HAD to get out before i forgot them.

would this have been a viable option to relieve your +6mm on the leftside of the rear wheel for chain alignment?
              The 6 mm of offset was with a 6" rear rim. Going to a 5.5" rim helped quite a bit. I used the 2005 GSXR 750 rear sprocket carrier as it fit the wheel and it was a bit thinner than the GSXR 1000 sprocket carrier.

the finished redo and the stock GSXR still dont match up, what gives? loaded vs unloaded? good as it gets? more/less rake?
              That's how it ended up with a 51/49 front/rear weight distro and when the rake was set to 24.5 degrees versus the GSXR's 23.5 degrees. I deliberately set the rake a bit conservatively to keep the handling stable. The shock and linkage still have full travel.
              Last edited by Guest; 01-19-2009, 02:38 AM.

Comment

one more:

you have two different rearsets right to left, or at least the guards are. k4 and k6, maybe? why is that?

back to reading
                Two words: budget building. K6 and K4 parts from Fleabay. All the GSXR parts on this bike were bought on the cheap from eBay auctions.
                Last edited by Guest; 01-19-2009, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonygs1000 View Post
                  did you have to modify the frame at all or get a off set for the sprocket so the chain would not rub the chain looks like a 530 am i right ?
                  5/8" 520 offset sprocket. 520 DID ERV3 chain. No frame mods to prevent rubbing with this setup.

Comment

just checking, i knew you had reasons. would the other carrier (the one mentioned in the post i quoted) + cush drive shaving have allowed to you align the chain with the 6" wheel? the world may never know.

i hear you on the cheap part, i am the same way.

Comment

Nah, he says he's cheap; but he's more of a true 'Spartan'. That bike is all business, no frills, true to the body-lines (looks), and that which has been changed is for 'performance'...one of my all time favorite bikes. No cheapness there...just 'build genius'.

Comment

just checking, i knew you had reasons. would the other carrier (the one mentioned in the post i quoted) + cush drive shaving have allowed to you align the chain with the 6" wheel? the world may never know.

i hear you on the cheap part, i am the same way.
                        Send me one and I'll try it out.

Originally posted by Bad Kaw View Post
                        Nah, he says he's cheap; but he's more of a true 'Spartan'. That bike is all business, no frills, true to the body-lines (looks), and that which has been changed is for 'performance'...one of my all time favorite bikes. No cheapness there...just 'build genius'.
                        Thanks, man. Wait till you see version 1.5 currently being built.

Comment

See that!!!??? That's exactly what I'm talkin' about! Ha!
                          Drive on, my mentor, drive on!
                          ...and by all means, post pictures as soon as humanly possible...

Comment

Hey 80GS1000!

Do you still have this pipe? I'm very interested!.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Kaw View Post
                              See that!!!??? That's exactly what I'm talkin' about! Ha!
                              Drive on, my mentor, drive on!
                              ...and by all means, post pictures as soon as humanly possible...
                              BK is right....PICS, Man, PICS!!!!

Don't be holding out on us, PJ....
                              Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalSuperF View Post
                                Hey 80GS1000!

Do you still have this pipe? I'm very interested!.
                                Sorry man, SaltyMonk on this board now has that pipe. Looks trick on his black skunk GS1000. Those Yoshi GS1000 pipes don't work with a monoshock conversion as the pipe would go right where the lower shock mount is located.

Originally posted by Cassius086 View Post
                                BK is right....PICS, Man, PICS!!!!

Don't be holding out on us, PJ....
                                I'll post pics soon enough...
                                Last edited by Guest; 01-31-2009, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X