Rearsets on a GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rearsets on a GS

I recently took pssession of an 80 GS1100E. My dad owned the bike through most of the 80s and 90s and about 10 years ago parked it outside under a tree and stopped riding it. (He bought a new Bandit 1200 and the GS just fell by the wayside). When I got the bike the paint was shot, the seat had things growing on it, and if it could rust, it probably had. I have since stripped the tank and repainted it (thankfully it had gas in it, so no real rust on the inside) repainted the rest of the plastic, and reworked the seat. (The pan is bad, but I managed to make it work until I can find a replacement) I have cleaned and rebuilt the carbs, new Dynatek coils and taylor wires, stripped the rust off of the Kerker 4 into 1 system and rewelded a couple of seams, repacked the megaphone and repainted the whole thing, and started polishing any metal bit I can get my hands on.

While I was removing rust, I found that the pegs had seen better days. I have found several listings for replacemnet pegs for the bike, but being as short as I am (5'7" on my taller days) I was thinking of going to a slightly higher rearset peg. Is this possible? Okay...anything is possible, but does anyone make a set, or would I have to modify another part? Anything that gets my knees in a better position is good.[-o<

Availabe, but not cheap! I think you will probably lose the passenger pegs as well, with these installed......

Tony.
    '82 GS1100E

Comment

Thanks for the link! Rearsets for the GS have been hard to find, till now. :-D

Comment

expensive sure, but they do look good. I've got an '85 700 though, and its not listed on the application list. anyone know if the one for the '83 750 would fit?

Comment

Billy Ricks and others have adapted GSXR rearsets to GS. You might want to ask him.
          "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...dStatesMap.jpg

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Here's a shot of the right side of my bike with GSXR rearsets. I just welded a bit of 1/4" plate to the frame to bolt them too.

Comment

FWIW, I just got a quote of $310 shipped for rear sets for my '80 GS1000E. Turnaround time is 14 days.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                FWIW, I just got a quote of $310 shipped for rear sets for my '80 GS1000E. Turnaround time is 14 days.
                universal rear sets from europe are the way to go:

there is a few shops out there selling these universal rearsets for around $90-$125. you can order them through European websites too.
                (can't recall where I saw them right now...too many favorites, can't find the link)

they're just a peg equipped with a shift/brake lever that you can adapt to your bike w/ minimal fabrication.
                they just bold in place of standard single bolt pegs (or into a bracket you fabricate to fit your particular bike on your own).

you will have to fabricate your own linkage to/from the shift rod and the brake acctuator. but it's worth it for the price IMO.

this is the type I plan to use eventually.

Comment

When you locate the link, please post it :-D
                  I will more then likely go this way on my 82

Comment

here a re a few places I found that carry them:

http://www.motomeccaspares.com/index.php (IIRC they also carry them)

This place carries replacement parts (and should be able to get the compete sets too):
                    MG Cycle : Page Not Found - chemicals exhaust fuel delivery sealing washers swingarm luggage electrical mirrors decal transfer frame related foot controls windshield handlebars transmission carburetor engine crankcase vent rear drive stands seat saddle seals tools hardware brake orings throttles hand grips rider accessory cables filter gaskets guards rails clutch flywheel suspension wheel rim tubes console intake airbox dipstick maintenance kit gasket kits fuel tank fairing side cover rubber general oil cooler fender luggage rack Universal Joint Ducati Petcocks brake lever fuel level sens clutch lever engine guard CARC guard grab handle chemicals exhaust fuel delivery sealing washers swingarm luggage electrical hand levers mirrors decal transfer frame related foot controls windshield handlebars transmission carburetor engine crankcase vent rear drive stands seat saddle seals tools hardware brake orings throttles hand grips rider accessory cables filter gaskets guards rails clutch flywheel suspension wheel rim tubes workshop manual console intake airbox dipstick maintenance kit gasket kits fuel tank fairing side cover rubber general oil cooler fender singles MG Cycle, Moto Guzzi Parts and Accessories, Italian Motorcycle Parts and Accessories New Products

and here is a good How-To article:

(although its for a MotoGuzzi it still has really good info for the kits)

got to love Italian engineering!

HTH...i'll keep looking too...i know there is more.

Comment

Originally posted by pozzi View Post
                      universal rear sets from europe are the way to go:

there is a few shops out there selling these universal rearsets for around $90-$125. you can order them through European websites too.
                      (can't recall where I saw them right now...too many favorites, can't find the link)

they're just a peg equipped with a shift/brake lever that you can adapt to your bike w/ minimal fabrication.
                      they just bold in place of standard single bolt pegs (or into a bracket you fabricate to fit your particular bike on your own).

you will have to fabricate your own linkage to/from the shift rod and the brake acctuator. but it's worth it for the price IMO.

this is the type I plan to use eventually.

This is what I did with the Mighty Buffalo....

And then the right side with the rear disc conversion....

It worked out quite well, I think....

Comment

Originally posted by Ogri View Post
                        This is what I did with the Mighty Buffalo....

And then the right side with the rear disc conversion....

It worked out quite well, I think....
                        i dig it!
                        i like the way those mounting brackets look.
                        how do you like them?

BTW: where did you get yours through?
                        and how much did they run you?
                        (i'm always looking for a good deal! )

do you have more pics of your beefalo? that think looks hawt!

Comment

These they?

Comment

universal rear sets

Try this link, I have bought from these people and they treated my right.http://stores.ebay.com/Speed-Moto-Co...QQftidZ2QQtZkm
                            80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

This is what I did on my GS1000. GSXR 1000 rearsets are used with some fabbed aluminum plate to make mounting brackets.

Comment

Working...
                              X