Safe degreaser??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safe degreaser??

Need a safe kind, going to soak down the back rim and sprockets and things on my Wrench bike. Don't want to hurt the tire or the rim.

Any suggestions??:roll:

Simple Green works great!

Comment

Simple Green? I have seen that at Wally World. Ok, I will give her a try!!
      Thanks.8-)

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelHoward View Post
        Simple Green? I have seen that at Wally World. Ok, I will give her a try!!
        Thanks.8-)
        Oddly, I don't think Walmart carries it. I use it at my shop and last time I went there to buy supplies, I couldn't find it with the cleaning stuff. Home Depot carried it last I checked, and probably some supermarkets. It's great stuff - gentle but really powerful.

Comment

Originally posted by bhppy101 View Post
          Simple Green works great!
          +1 for simple green!

or one of those citurs based cleaners (orange all).

whatever you do, DO NOT use anything like STP Son-of-a-Gun cleaner or anything with a basic pH level on anything aluminum! especially anodized or polished aluminum. it will actually etch the surface, often times completely removing anodizing all together. they leave behind a dull matte stain that is actually etched into the surface.
          many of those engine foams and cleaners are basic based pH levels that cause the staining.

stick with acidic based cleaners...they tend to be much safer on all surfaces.

Comment

But why is your safe greasy???????? Have you been taking all your money out of it lately to pay the mechanics to finish the job??????????8-)

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
              But why is your safe greasy???????? Have you been taking all your money out of it lately to pay the mechanics to finish the job??????????8-)

Comment

Careful.....Simple Green concentrate used at full strength can be un-friendly to aluminum and some painted surfaces. It works better/safer if it's diluted down with water IMO.

Comment

Simply Green is not something you want to use on aluminum.

Comment

Read the small print. Some mag wheel sprays say right on the back "Not for motorcycle wheels" Some even say dont put it down the drain. Nasty stuff. My buddy uses it to clean carb parts. Its acid ! Ive been using a Biodegradeable product thats green (not simple green) but I forget the name. It might be Gunk all purpose cleaner. I like the bio part.
                    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

What does work and will not harm the paint or aluminum is the old standby, Gunk engine cleaner. No, it's not very environmentally friendly, but it does a great job on engines and wheels when used with a garden hose at a high pressure. Cleans chains, even O ring safe. (Don't spray your O or X ring chain with water though) Spray can of Gunk is about $1.50~2.00. I believe this stuff is illegal for use in Florida because of water supply environmental laws.

Comment

Or WD-40. Or turpentine and a toothbrush.
                        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I second the WD-40. Applied on a rag first, then wipe down the rims. Afterwards, use some aluminum polish on a scotch-brite pad, followed by almuminum polish on a soft rag, followed by a clean rag. Makes my wheels look like new.

WD-40 is the best cleaner out there. Or kerosene, which is a lot cheaper, but less conveinient.
                          Currently bikeless
                          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

For cleaning my rear wheel, I use Simple Green. I bought a small scrubbrush at Lowes that holds about 4 oz. of liquid soap. Squeeze the back to apply some soap, and scrub away. It makes the job go fairly quick. Even concentrated, Simple Green isn't too aggressive to use on aluminum, just don't let it sit for a long time without rinsing off.
                            JP
                            1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                            1992 Concours
                            2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                            2007 FJR

Comment

Working...
                            X